Page 176 of 183 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1825

Thread: OT: Politics

  1. #1751
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I see Gordon's coming around to the the conservative school of thought that responsibility ultimately rests with individual agency, with the intersectional group identity as a secondary consideration.

    Welcome to the team, buddy
    and cue the "conservative" logical fallacy.

    its not a leap of political or even philosophical value to understand the mathematical fact that a distribution of outcomes means there is a A DISTRIBUTION OF OUTCOMES. its in the definition. and that means that the fundamental natural phenomena you are observing you are doing so not understanding the underlying first principles at work.

    first principles claim: you cannot or shouldnt rear children while in multiple sexual relationships with adults

    evidence: in a slight majority of cases that we found documentation on, step parents have a harder time connecting with there step children

    claim is not actually supported by presented evidence, claim is rejected.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-07-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  2. #1752
    Insider PBSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,882
    Preface: I don't actually are about this conversation because I think we can all agree there are plenty of fit and unfit parents out there from all walks of life.

    claim is not actually supported by presented evidence, claim is rejected.
    This might get back to a conversation we had years ago, but you can't reject the claim, you can only say it is not supported by the available evidence. There is no available evidence to either support or contradict the claim.
    "He died on that hill even though no one was attacking"
    I work for the company building the Paragon...once we figure out a name

  3. #1753
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Preface: I don't actually are about this conversation because I think we can all agree there are plenty of fit and unfit parents out there from all walks of life.



    This might get back to a conversation we had years ago, but you can't reject the claim, you can only say it is not supported by the available evidence. There is no available evidence to either support or contradict the claim.
    not to put too fine a point on it, but .... null hypothesis.

    if evidence does not reach significance (for whatever reason) the null hypothesis is selected.



    anyway, politics .... how many more receipts did cohen bring? junior and wiessleberg indicted yet?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  4. #1754
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  5. #1755
    Insider Unfated33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    763
    And I think it may just be a shorthand issue - that the evidence is rejected by Gordon, so therefore there is no available evidence. But responding to you feels too much like responding to Gordon on my Devil's take, so let's change directions!

    In a shock to the moderate population of this forum, Sherrod Brown has decided he is not running for President in 2020. I drank all of the eggnog in my house to console my heart. There's still about a billion possible Democratic presidential candidates, but has anyone else started to get the sense yet that the rest of the field needs to slam Bernie hard? Every time we lose a not-Bernie candidate, the chances of Bernie becoming the winner increase. Elizabeth Warren has really tripped all over herself, which means there doesn't seem to be much of anyone left that is splitting the left-populist vote.

    Per Fivethirtyeight.com, here are the second place choices for when a candidate drops out: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ratic-primary/

    It looks like encouraging O'Rourke to enter the race would be a good plan then. I'm officially now on Team Beto for the month.

  6. #1756
    Insider
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,158
    At a glance, it suggests that we'll get the furthest-left candidate in US History. It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Time to find out if the Soviet boogeyman is still scary.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

  7. #1757
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    At a glance, it suggests that we'll get the furthest-left candidate in US History. It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Time to find out if the Soviet boogeyman is still scary.
    in US hisotry?

    lol

    not even close.

    every liberal candidate before about 1960 is way left of bernie. hell, bernie isn't that far from freaking Eisenhower.

    its shocking how far right the overton window has shifted.

    thta being said, i too am concerned at his electablity.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  8. #1758
    Insider PBSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,882
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    not to put too fine a point on it, but .... null hypothesis.

    if evidence does not reach significance (for whatever reason) the null hypothesis is selected.
    Not to put too fine a point on it but I see you still suck at stats. If you're doing statistical analysis you can either reject the null hypothesis, or fail to reject the null hypothesis. The null hypothesis is never "selected" by a failure to reject.

    Otherwise you could make the null hypothesis that it never rains on Earth, look around while standing at the bottom of a mineshaft and say '"yep, I was right". Which is kind of what you're doing right now.
    "He died on that hill even though no one was attacking"
    I work for the company building the Paragon...once we figure out a name

  9. #1759
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it but I see you still suck at stats. If you're doing statistical analysis you can either reject the null hypothesis, or fail to reject the null hypothesis. The null hypothesis is never "selected" by a failure to reject.

    Otherwise you could make the null hypothesis that it never rains on Earth, look around while standing at the bottom of a mineshaft and say '"yep, I was right". Which is kind of what you're doing right now.
    yawn, pedantry is boring.

    evidence has not been presented to conclude there is an issue, so we conclude there is not one. whatever verb you want to use to say that doesn't fucking matter and you know it.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  10. #1760
    Insider PBSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,882
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    yawn, pedantry is boring.

    evidence has not been presented to conclude there is an issue, so we conclude there is not one. whatever verb you want to use to say that doesn't fucking matter and you know it.
    It actually does, but sorry I bumped into your ego.
    "He died on that hill even though no one was attacking"
    I work for the company building the Paragon...once we figure out a name

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •