Page 219 of 228 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

There certainly wasn't hate to the N'th degree four years ago. Nobody immediately called for an impeachment before inauguration, no celebrities threatened to leave the nation or held up the "severed head" of the incoming President, nobody freaked all the way out and actually became memes. Pretty civil!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Well, that is what happens every 4 years with presidential elections. One side wins, and the other just hates. For whatever reason, this year has been amplified to the Nth degree. Whether it is because the lockdown and stay at home that left everyone looking for the only entertainment that was fresh or new, or it was just trump making everything about him.

I see 2 ways out of this. 1 is that trump gets prosecuted and all his crimes come out. That would kill any of the trumpism that has infected the people. Showing that no one is above the law and how actions have severe consequences. 2 is that Biden soundly addressed all the problems with aplomb and vigor to end the pandemic in the US, getting the economy going stronger and undoing the the idiotic changes on the world stage that will show even the past 4 years was a mistake. Both will take time, especially the potential federal and state changes from the lawsuits. But that will end the cult of personality and show that all the claims were rantings were of a madman and not a messiah.
    this isnt what happens every 4 years and you know it.

JFC how many times do i have to be right for folks to be like "hum, maybe this whole rebirth of American fascism thing gordon keeps talking about is real and this isn't business as usual?"

the country is fundamentally broken, and its republicans that broke it. its time to grow the fuck up, put your big boy panties on, and realize it. this is not the same as 4 years ago. this is not the same as 8 years ago.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    this isnt what happens every 4 years and you know it.

JFC how many times do i have to be right for folks to be like "hum, maybe this whole rebirth of American fascism thing gordon keeps talking about is real and this isn't business as usual?"

the country is fundamentally broken, and its republicans that broke it. its time to grow the fuck up, put your big boy panties on, and realize it. this is not the same as 4 years ago. this is not the same as 8 years ago.
    Well, if you are right, then i will send you an e-cookie for all that it matters because it really doesn't. This is were i always have a problem with you, in that your ego gets in your way. Many more progressives kept saying that anytbing less than they want would be akin to autocratic rule, not just you. It is the fact that many, many different factors all had to change for this to happen, but it is not lost yet.

This is my optimism that, even though Biden is not the greatest choice, he was far better than everyone else to put the stop to the leaks. Yes, a fully democratic run congress would be easiest to set straight everytbung to the middle, far easier and quicker, but its not time to scream like chicken little. A progressive would be pushing to hard to fast for the changes and hasten the breakage far worse.but, in order to kill this fascism, or this cult, while you can't make him a martyr, you do have to cut that head off. Every single spineless power monger that sucked up to trump will loose there backer, but it takes even just traditionalist Republicans to take the step to shun trumpism and standup.

You have to show the underlying evil/fascism for all to see, and quickly educate the masses that what they are ignoring for the past 4 years is wrong. It is almost a combination of Reagan's panache with JFK's charisma, because those mouthbreathers that make up that fanatical base are all taken with shiney objects, short tweets and con artist mockery. For they know not what is best for them, yet are willing to listen to the band on the titanic all the way down.

So it doesn't matter if trump was the cause or the effect of the past 40 years of Republican erosion of politics. Whether he was created to show our political foibles or was the what was hidden in Pandora's box, he is here. So civil war 2 or Sino-US war? The Korean war, redux or rebellion of the 21st century?

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    There certainly wasn't hate to the N'th degree four years ago. Nobody immediately called for an impeachment before inauguration, no celebrities threatened to leave the nation or held up the "severed head" of the incoming President, nobody freaked all the way out and actually became memes. Pretty civil!
    That's the thing, there wasn't. Looking back at how the GOP was telling the Dems, in 2016 to "stop crying, get over the loss", etc and move on is now totally being ignored with impunity. It is the lack of any quiet leadership from the RNC, or stalwarts of the GOP that wish to be kingmakers that let this party do and act without any dignity, without any scruples and without any consequences to everything they do. All for what, power, an imaginary force that they saw on season 1 of Game of Thrones being displayed by acts without conscious?

Understanding that you may think differently is fine. My needs, do not reflect yours and vice versa. But now, even if you question them, ask why, it is hate speech back.it is the blind devotion i can not fathom. How anyone can just follow without thinking is unfathomable to me. I just don't want to see where this can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    when you think memes are uncivil, but undermining half the countries confidence in democracy itself is totally normal.

eye on the ball folks. eye on the ball.

if this isn't the very definition of mistaking tone for content, i dont know what is. its also what abusers do. "oh you arnt yelling, that must mean its reasonable" no, you can calmly, quietly and politely destroy this entire country and its 200+ year norm of violence free transitions of power. that would be very definition of "uncivil"
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-07-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

meanwhile of course, if you want to talk about violence, republican officials all over the country are receiving death threats from there own party, for certifying the vote totals against trump.

so you know, big scary c list celebrity with a silly picture, real, ongoing death threats to public officials doing there jobs ...

eye on the ball poeple, eye on the ball. this is totally normal. yeah. totally.

an active plot to kidnap and murder a democratic governor ... the president decided not to condemn in any way ...

but yes, tell me more about how scary and uncivil a comedians picture is again. please, i want to hear more.

clutch those pearls. tell me about the death of civility.

EDIT: oh i forgot, it was not just kidnap and murder the govenor, it was kidnap the govenor, take over the capital, live stream execute the democrats and then finally board up the building, and burn it down on the internet.

but please, tell me more about civility. cause if i was gay, this would be my sassy not buying it face.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-07-2020 at 12:19 PM.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12...19-coronavirus

Covid-19 Live Updates: Trump Officials Passed When Pfizer Offered to Sell More Vaccine Doses in Late Summer

Jesus get him out of office already. You have to wonder what damage he's doing right now.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12...19-coronavirus

Covid-19 Live Updates: Trump Officials Passed When Pfizer Offered to Sell More Vaccine Doses in Late Summer

Jesus get him out of office already. You have to wonder what damage he's doing right now.
    The damage he has done now is nothing compared to the damage that we will find out after he has been gone. His administration is like a sinkhole, you can not see it, you can not predict where it will show up, and you will never fully know how much damage it will wrought.

I can?t wait for McConnell and the GoP to blame the 2021 COVID death toll on democrats when it was already baked in due to their inaction and politicization of masks RIGHT NOW.