Page 39 of 228 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    A terrible person can be a decent politician. Voting for a platform =/= condoning personal actions.
    i don't disagree with this in principle.

however, its not an argument in favor of supporting roy moore. his policies were just as fucking awful and immoral as his personal behavior, if not more-so.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

The statement stands on either side of the political aisle, see Ted Kennedy above. I also never said I support Roy Moore or his policies.

As far as my personal opinion, I don't really care what 2 (or possibly more) consenting adults choose to do. My reasons for my own orientation may be predicated on my moral worldview, but I don't feel the need to push that on others.
    I don't care about your sexual orientation.

I'm asking whether or not you think ignoring the Supreme Court and being forced to resign over his ability to deny same-sex marriage certificates makes him a "decent politician".
    Last edited by PBSteve; 12-26-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Obviously, it depends on which policies you support and to what extent you'd defend them. I would say that as a voter, I'd like to see politicians fight for what their constituents want even if it costs them a political seat.

Maybe you missed this part "I also never said I support Roy Moore or his policies."

Obviously, it depends on which policies you support and to what extent you'd defend them. I would say that as a voter, I'd like to see politicians fight for what their constituents want even if it costs them a political seat.
    Well I guess I don't understand your point. The man was an asshole in both public and private life, and still enjoyed massive support in Alabama, but you're insisting this is not a reflection of his supporters.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Calling someone an asshole for having a different idea than yours is a sign of bigotry. I don't agree with his policy, but if you opposed same-sex marriage (which people are entitled to do) then he would be committed to his ideals. That said, most politicians have questionable private lives. I'm leery of the ad hominem.

Hillary would kind of be an exception. Her voting record was somewhat consistent, but her foreign dealings were explicitly self-serving and undermine her professionally without any partisan implications. That's more or less what I'd consider a crappy politician.

Calling someone an asshole for having a different idea than yours is a sign of bigotry.
    I'm fine with being a bigot towards bigotry, I propose you should be too.

I've posted this quote before, seems like it's relevant again:

Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. - Karl Popper
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I'm fine with being a bigot towards bigotry, I propose you should be too.
    Perhaps you should define bigotry or even intolerance in absolute terms. That'd give us a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    I've posted this quote before, seems like it's relevant again:
    Doesn't fit this context.

I'll spell it out then: This is you, responding to posts that were referring to the results of the election and the trends that surfaced about supporters of sexual predator and all-around racist/bigot Roy Moore.

Based on your hostility towards anyone who offers an opposing opinion, I'd say you seem to be a pretty bigoted individual. Bigoted people are generally terrible people.
    Calling someone an asshole for having a different idea than yours is a sign of bigotry.
    Perhaps you should define bigotry or even intolerance in absolute terms. That'd give us a starting point.
    Either you have a really narrow definition of bigotry and intolerance, or you're arguing in bad faith.

Doesn't fit this context.
    Seems pretty relevant to me. You're doing everything you can to make it seem like opposing intolerance is the real intolerance, and we need to be tolerant of other people's intolerance.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 12-26-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    I don't know, fly casual

You clearly don't understand the background of the quote or even the criteria that need to be met to move to suppression. What is this "intolerant" behavior that isn't being tolerated? It's not like the right is inciting violence against the left. The left is picking and choosing what is "intolerance" to give themselves some moral high ground. So perhaps you should actually understand the background of a quote you read on some liberal commentary about Trump and free speach. Doesn't work here and isn't relevant.

In absolute terms, which political stances are actually intolerant?
    Last edited by ironyusa; 12-26-2017 at 05:42 PM.