Page 43 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

He was always going to be the useful idiot for the GoP to stuff the courts with partisan hacks and play the fall guy for their unpopular legislation.

Yeah, I know, Congress passes laws. Do you really think it will matter to the narrative?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I had a long response typed up, but I'll say "yes" and also that even at the time I couldn't stand Trump. The short version is I didn't think he'd actually try or be able to do much harm in his first term. It was not a vote against Hillary either. But yeah, now I just want to survive long enough to get that joker out of there.
    what is really ironic, is that if trump had actually been and supported the policies he campaigned on, i might actually support him, or at least i support some of those causes. he promised no cuts the medicare, medicade or social security, he promised cheaper healthcare that covered everyone, he said rich bankers were not taxed high enough, he said he was going to drain out the swamp of business lobbyists, set term limits for congress, he said he was for gay marriage and protecting LGBT folks, i mean basically besides the wall, and the racism and sexism, on policies ... candidate trump was actually a guy that might have had some reasonable policy positions.

but only an idiot would have believed a word he said on the campaign trail would actually mean anything, most of it was ludicrously impossible. ie you can't cover everyone cheaply without single payer etc etc. sadly, he hasn't lived up to any of those promises, and actually is on track to do the exact opposite of every single one of them. and is lock step in combining massive giveaways to the rich, corporations and the powerful, with racism, sexism, anti-LGBT, and somehow evangelical Christians. how an admitted sexual assaulter, with 3 wives, who openly has talked sexually about dating 17-20 year olds while being over 50, somehow, christians of all people thought this guy was a-ok ....

pretty much a perfect storm of bad policy and a total idiot at the same time. only a complete fucking moron could manage to loose us the cold war 30 years after we won it AND tweet his way to the brink of nuclear war at the same time.

i asked a question of most trump supporters after he was elected, is there anything that trump could do to loose your support? most said there was nothing. i said even if he colluded with russia? they said no. even if the pee tape is real? nope. most said that nothing could convince them to stop supporting trump.

then they asked me, you hate trump and most republicans, is there something he could do to gain your support ... i said all sorts of things, here is the list.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-27-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    He was always going to be the useful idiot for the GoP to stuff the courts with partisan hacks and play the fall guy for their unpopular legislation.

Yeah, I know, Congress passes laws. Do you really think it will matter to the narrative?
    thats the real reason they are keeping him around. they know repealing the ACA will be a disaster, they know there tax plan is a joke, they know cutting medicare, medicade and social security will be terrible .... but they will also have trumps signature at the bottom.

and when mueller shows his hand, conveniently right after the 2018 bloodbath, republicans are going to play the quite little mouse of "well, i mean that was ALL trump. as soon as we learned he committed treason we got rid of him, i swear!"
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I mostly meant that I didn't think he'd be able to undo much of the Obama era legislation. It's what you said Gordon, most of his promises seemed ludicrously impossible and so I assumed he'd realize that and kind of back off. He has fucked up so much that it'll take a while to recover, but 100% he won't get my vote nor will the republican party. I'd rather pencil in Mickey Mouse than continue down this road.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I mostly meant that I didn't think he'd be able to undo much of the Obama era legislation. It's what you said Gordon, most of his promises seemed ludicrously impossible and so I assumed he'd realize that and kind of back off. He has fucked up so much that it'll take a while to recover, but 100% he won't get my vote nor will the republican party. I'd rather pencil in Mickey Mouse than continue down this road.
    bliss leads to ignorance.

you only realize that the world has been going decently because smart guys (even if you disagree with there politics) were in charge until you have total morons in charge and the whole world starts heading for hell in a hand-basket pretty quickly.

trump has also made me realize just how important, and how many great men and women have put the country before there political interests in the past, and how that decency is what makes democracy possible. men like goldwater who walked into the white house and said, republican to republican Nixon, k, we know you committed crimes and tried to cover them up, its political suicide for our party, but in the interest of preserving the rule of law, we are going to impeach you. you should resign and save face as much as you can. save the country the pain.

could you image paul ryan telling trump that? could you imagine mcconnel telling trump that? could you imagine trump actually admitting something, somewhere might have been his fault? what fucking failures of men. what fuckign failures of patriots. if i wont stand for another lecture from a republican about morality, i sure as hell will never stand for another lecture from a republican about patriotism. what a fucking joke.

no, congressional republicans are busy attacking the NSA, CIA and FBI, because they have been doing there jobs, investigating crimes. politically inconvenient for them crimes.

I agree. I honestly can't bear the thought of us going to war with North Korea. Or putting our own selves back in the crosshairs of a volatile middle-east. Or the fact that net neutrality is reversed. Or that we withdrew from the Paris agreement. I'm sure there's plenty more, but holy shit, does there really have to be?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/u...diplomacy.html
    Last edited by ironyusa; 12-28-2017 at 10:06 PM.

endeavor to persevere.......

Insider

Niagara

Frozen shark on Mass. beach....

Last edited by going_home; 12-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    endeavor to persevere.......

Random weather ≠ climate.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 12-30-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    I don't know, fly casual