Page 15 of 228 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

Insider
    Prescription drugs, particularily opiates, need a war waged on them.
    I agree. Though HOW we do it is another, big one. While I have small confidence in the government getting this right, I would like to see them try.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

See, we're mostly in agreement about the war on drugs, although I would recommend complete decriminalization of users to start with.

Anyway it seems to me incarceration reform (along with a handful of other issues) is way more important than firearms training.

Insider
    See, we're mostly in agreement about the war on drugs, although I would recommend complete decriminalization of users to start with.

Anyway it seems to me incarceration reform (along with a handful of other issues) is way more important than firearms training.
    I agree - with the decriminalization and also that it is the most important part. I think firearm training is pretty low. Dealing with drug addictions and related is far more important.

On a scale of 1-10, I would put drugs and related at 10, firearm training at a 2 or so, and welfare reform at 8-9.

You?
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

See to me the terrible drug laws and war that we have been poorly fighting seems to be a topic that multiple parties can actually discuss without having completely hard line and inverse opinions.

It is also a fundamental issue as I think everyone has agreed on somewhat, that stems many further problems in the country tjat all the different sides can't come up with a consensus on.

Start with this, I am for decriminalized naturally occurring illicit substances. I am even for legalizing them with restrictions that carry consequences like alcohol, and of coarse the risks have to be stated with consumption. The more synthetic stuff is definitely a harder field there needs to be an approval process that makes sure it is safe enough for consumption if people choose to do it with known risks.

And this needs to happen to combat the opioid epidemic that we have, let some less addictive substances be legally obtainable and then regulate the release of these highly addictive substances stronger to start and hopefully move away towards a safer pain management alternative.

Incarceration reform/access to legal services: 10
    War on drugs: 9
    Access to transit: 8
    Schools & other childcare: 8
    Equitable access to financial institutions: 7
    Mental health services: 6
    Entitlement reform: 4
    Gun training: 1 or 2

First two are probably the same category

And I'm glossing over a host of issues predominantly caused by suburban NIMBYs

Insider
    Incarceration reform/access to legal services: 10
    War on drugs: 9
    Mental health services: 6
    Entitlement reform: 4
    Gun training: 1 or 2

First two are probably the same category
    Pretty much agreed - though, could you expand oh these? the reasoning behind it, I am not making an argument:

Thanks.

We could involve gun training in education, like it was when I was a kid in the sticks. There are a large number of deaths per year from drowning - mostly young children. In Alaska it was very high (watch COPS Alaska and every 3rd one is recovering somebody from drowning) so they put a pool in every high school and trained every elementary kid how to swim and do CPR.

From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day. An additional 332 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents. About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.
    We could wrap in basic firearm education that way and reduce accidental discharges also. Nothing hard core - basic TABK:

he four basic rules of firearms safety, known by the acronym TABK, are as follows:

T - Treat every firearm as if it were loaded. Never assume a firearm is unloaded.

A - Always point the firearm in a safe direction. Even if an unwanted discharge occurs no one will be hurt if you always point the gun in a safe direction.

B - Be sure of your target and what is beyond your target. Make absolutely certain you can positively identify your target and what is beyond it. Make sure there are no other hunters, houses, vehicles, or other animals beyond your target in case your bullet, or shot if you are using a shotgun, misses your target or travels through your target. Never shoot an animal that is on the horizon as you cannot be sure of what is behind that animal

K - Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until ready to shoot. Also, make sure that branches or other objects do not contact the trigger guard or trigger.
    TAK training (just those) would save quite a few lives.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    See to me the terrible drug laws and war that we have been poorly fighting seems to be a topic that multiple parties can actually discuss without having completely hard line and inverse opinions.

It is also a fundamental issue as I think everyone has agreed on somewhat, that stems many further problems in the country tjat all the different sides can't come up with a consensus on.

Start with this, I am for decriminalized naturally occurring illicit substances. I am even for legalizing them with restrictions that carry consequences like alcohol, and of coarse the risks have to be stated with consumption. The more synthetic stuff is definitely a harder field there needs to be an approval process that makes sure it is safe enough for consumption if people choose to do it with known risks.

And this needs to happen to combat the opioid epidemic that we have, let some less addictive substances be legally obtainable and then regulate the release of these highly addictive substances stronger to start and hopefully move away towards a safer pain management alternative.
    I do have a dirty secret. I think refined sugar should be a schedule 1 substance and regulated as such. Sugar is a naturally ocurring substance, but using it as an additive is basically lacing food to become addicting and with severe health consequences. I obviously don't think it should be criminalized.

Insider
    I do have a dirty secret. I think refined sugar should be a schedule 1 substance and regulated as such. Sugar is a naturally ocurring substance, but using it as an additive is basically lacing food to become addicting and with severe health consequences. I obviously don't think it should be criminalized.
    I would have rolled my eyes at this 6 months ago.

After getting on a Keto Diet, and powering myself on fat instead of carbs, I think there is something to it.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I don't think that is a bad idea. Sugar is natural but regular table sugar is processed so it is not in it's natural state.

Food regulations are incredibly lax in general, which I always think someone should be able to eat what they want but again there needs to be warning labels and education so people know how good or bad the things they are eating actually are.