Page 202 of 228 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Sanders is a loon. He is the the worst case scenario of any politician. He is too drastic and too crazed to get any real traction. Not that ads or even his own actions was able to pull those in the middle over, those undecided. He is too scary for those that listen to the fear from the right, that they will loose.

I liked what Warren was saying & i really thought Bloomberg could have been great. Everything that Trump had said he was, Bloomberg could actually do the work. But i think coming in too late to the race, didn't steel him against the magnifying glass of the public.
    bloomberg is literally everything you said you hated. point by point. everything.

my days of not taking the "i wish we had a politician who fought for the people" while supporting republicans is certainly coming to middle. dont kid yourself, bloomberg is just trump with a blue hat.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    bloomberg is literally everything you said you hated. point by point. everything.
    Hilariously, probably one of the worst he could mention from his criteria.

I mean, it's clear there's just a draw to wealthy strongmen among conservatives. Pretty sure they'd give Trump the monarchy if they could.

Trump approval rating among Republicans was around 90% going into this thing, and it only seems to be getting stronger. I don't get it, he has mishandled every fucking last thing he could in this situation. I've never seen something more mismanaged in my life.

If you're not watching Trump's nightly Coronavirus shitfest, here's the summary:

He started out by accusing nurses of hoarding or stealing face masks.

Trump: "There is something going on. I don't know if it is hoarding. It is maybe worse than hoarding ... for years, 10 to 20,000 masks. Okay. It's a New York City hospital. It's packed all the time. How do you go from 10 to 20 to 300,000? 10 to 20,000 masks, to 300,000 ... even though this is different. Something is going on. And you ought to look into it as reporters. Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door? How do you go from 10,000 to 300,000? Uh, and we have that in a lot of different places. So ... somebody should probably look into that, 'cause I just don't see from a practical standpoint how that's possible to go from that to that, and we have that happening in numerous places..."

He then accused hospitals of "hoarding" ventilators.

He does this several times throughout the briefing, Suggesting New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, and medical personnel, specifically nurses, are conspiring to overinflate the number of ventilators and masks needed.

Again, he does this more than once.

Trump then admits there actually ARE shortages, but blames Obama. Saying that it's like how the military was out of bullets when he took over. None of this has any basis in reality whatsoever, but the toadies in the background are all nodding like this is fact.

This is beyond gaslighting.

This is a radioactive gas cloud.

This is like watching the Soviet government press briefings about Chernobyl, when the reactor was still burning and the Russians didn't realize we could actually SEE it from orbit and that radiation meters were sounding the alarm over half the planet.

Trump then talks about immigrants and how keeping them out of America probably prevented us from getting the plague and everybody behind him has this carefully practiced expressionless Soviet face on, and then bizarrely Trump randomly pivots to explaining how he didn't know until TODAY that 2.2 MILLION AMERICANS will likely die if we don't maintain social distancing -- even though that number was specifically briefed IN FRONT of him two weeks ago on national TV.

Naturally, now that Trump is suddenly aware of the probability of 2.2 MILLION DEATHS, he never said he was going to order America back to work by Easter. That was, uh, um, well, you see, um, just "aspirational."

The man who always speaks bluntly, is suddenly talking in metaphor and parable.

A QANN "reporter" asks Trump why his approval ratings are so high, is it because he's so awesome? Trump admits that he is.

Someone else asks about Americans facing eviction on April 1st. Trump says "I think landlords will take it easy."

Trump goes after reporter Yacmiche Alcindor for daring to ask about his repeated attacks on various governors. Trump angrily says, "We sent thousands of generators to New York ... the people in New York never distribute it the generators."

It takes a minute to figure out that when Trump says "generators" he probably means "ventilators." He does this repeatedly.

A reporter asks why Florida has 100% of their requests for supplies from the national strategic stockpile filled, but Massachusetts has not? Instead of answering, Trump says: "I was on the call yesterday with the governors and they were happy with the job we are doing."

The governors, who he noted the day before, he refuses to call. He was on the phone with them. They're happy he says, despite the fact that he was just this morning talking about how they're not happy and they should be.

Trump then segues into: "The biggest problem was the test didn't work. That was not from us. That has been there a long time" and suggests that the fault lies with Obama.

The tests in question were developed by the CDC, WITHIN THE LAST 3 MONTHS. Literally since the beginning of THIS year. Obama has been out of office for nearly 4 years now.

Then, bizarrely -- or not, given that this the new normal -- Trump says: "You will see drugs being used like nobody has ever used them before, and people are going to be dying all over the place."

I thought at first he was talking about his repeated claims about untested drugs as a cure for the coronavirus. You know, aquarium cleaner. But, instead, he was talking about drug ABUSE. Not sure by who, but you can probably guess. You know what happens when "those" people stay home with nothing to do.

A CNN reporter tries to get Trump back to his comments about the governors of blue states having to be more "appreciative." Trump screams at him, "YOUR STATEMENT IS A LIE!"

The reporter was LITERALLY quoting Trump's own statement.

Literally quoting Trump.

Trump called those words a lie. I mean, he's not wrong, but still...

As proof of this, Trump starts bragging about how his press briefings are getting better ratings than The Bachelor and Monday Night Football.

"The enemy is death," declares Trump.

And we're done. Thanks for coming everybody. Hope to see you all tomorrow for another exciting episode of "Reality TV President!"
    Last edited by PBSteve; 03-30-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Hilariously, probably one of the worst he could mention from his criteria.

I mean, it's clear there's just a draw to wealthy strongmen among conservatives. Pretty sure they'd give Trump the monarchy if they could.

Trump approval rating among Republicans was around 90% going into this thing, and it only seems to be getting stronger. I don't get it, he has mishandled every fucking last thing he could in this situation. I've never seen something more mismanaged in my life.
    because its racism.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Back to Bloomberg. That guy was a complete fuck for ny.

He is at fault for making NYC construction being so expensive. Programs put in place and expanded under his time have made the construction industry basically a closed system, completely different than the majority of the rest of the country. Adds major costs and headaches to the whole process as well.

It might come off as messed up, but he re-inacted the faulty Minority / Women business owner thing that has only built a larger burden through the years.

If anyone is not familiar a percentage of the total project for anything in NY or NJ for that matter has to be given to a company that is registered as a Minority owned or Women owned business, the idea was to give diversified companies a bigger chance in the city to be able to grow into a larger construction company. Instead of making smaller projects with company overhead restrictions, for these companies, they pass the burden onto larger contractors to carry them as a percentage of a contract. Which in turn adds an additional bond cost and insurance premium, as well as a profit increase due to risk of carrying another company that you are forced to carry and are semi uncertain of most of the time, which inflates the overall cost of a project pretty quickly.

To add to that NY has gotten up to an average of 30% of a total project bid needs to go to m/wbe companies. Some projects I have bid are up to 40% of the project, ,meaning if you carry a 1% additional bond on them, 5% additional insurance, 5-10% overhead cost, and at least 10% profit to carry a company doing real work because you need to give away some real value items with 30-40% goals, you increase the cost of any job by 20-25% indirectly by having these kind of goals.

Now add on to this, to be registered as an m/wbe, the application requires that the company has performed work for 2 years prior to the application, so you need to be sizable enough already to even register as one. There is also a restriction on the amount of money you can make and still be considered an mwbe company, incentivising companies to not get too large or else they lose their status and their bread and butter work because most of them specialize in a general area like trucking, or paving, etc. Which defeats the whole purpose of the program.

Additionally a women owned business means a women has 51% stake in the company, or multiple women make up 51% stake, so many many many many companies are now majority stake owned by the wife and daughter or some other combination of a vp and the real owners family because of the 2 year restriction on the application. Minority status works similar. Minority also has exclusions on specific minorities that qualify for it. Hispanics, Blacks, Indians, Native Americans, some small country Asians are included. Arabs, including Egyptians, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Spanish, Portuguese, some Caribbean countries, and I think Vietnamese and there are a few others that are not considered minorities. Fun fact trans is excluded from the WBE currently as well.

Real fucked system that ended up costing the city a ton more money, for not really any solid reason. Especially when they handicap these companies into not growing anyway because the real truth is, if the company is good enough to be reliable and usable as a subcontractor. They will be able to grow regardless in an industry where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, having a subcontractor at a known price and work quality is the important part, nationality and sex not being a factor when you need to be lowest to win.

Point of the rant, a real fucked Bloomberg policy. The search without cause thing he did was fucked as well.

This fuckwit is literally taking credit for the Army Corps of Engineers building field hospitals. The thing they've been doing for ... actual centuries.

And his supporters are lauding him as an "entrepreneur" for getting them built. How does one even hold a conversation with someone like that? I just... I keep having to revise down my estimate for the intelligence of the average American, and remember half of them are dumber than that.

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Did you ever think that Trump wouldn't be taking any credit for the steps taken, like it was an act of god, but then make sure to find a fall guy/patsy to blame any mishandling?

Approval ratings, fantasy numbers, lying wuth statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post

my days of not taking the "i wish we had a politician who fought for the people" while supporting republicans is certainly coming to middle. dont kid yourself, bloomberg is just trump with a blue hat.
    While i can't stand the man, i do appreciate and wanted a true business man, one who could cut the fat and get the country lean. Though H. Ross Perot was cut from the same, he was too early in his bid. Right place at the wrong time. Mind you, a businessman is not always the best choice for everything.

But the thing is, the process ended the bid. I could have said i really wanted Sanders or Buttigieg or whoever. Guess what, who i liked doesn't matter now. We won't know if Bloomberg was trump in a blue hat or the greatest president by merit. He didn't win the nomination, thus its speculation of what he could do or would be.

While i can't stand the man, i do appreciate and wanted a true business man, one who could cut the fat and get the country lean. Though H. Ross Perot was cut from the same, he was too early in his bid. Right place at the wrong time. Mind you, a businessman is not always the best choice for everything.

But the thing is, the process ended the bid. I could have said i really wanted Sanders or Buttigieg or whoever. Guess what, who i liked doesn't matter now. We won't know if Bloomberg was trump in a blue hat or the greatest president by merit. He didn't win the nomination, thus its speculation of what he could do or would be.
    i mean we do know what bloomberg was gonna be. not like he is some mystery bag, we know exactly what he would have been for president. trump with a blue hat, who can talk in complete sentences.

the point was to to test your resolve on a the whole notion of a politician who actually fought for the people. and, yah failed.

Well, i am glad i failed your test because your test doesn't matter. I am my own person and your choices do not effect me. You are neither in my state, nor will your individual choice or vote really matter in the scheme of the election. We can only hope that our choices can effect the outcome, unless we have another split of the popular & electorial college. And trying tonconvince someone that may have similar but different views means nothing. You need to convince the majority of people, who only see red or blue, conservative or liberal, republican or democrat. It shouldn't matter what exactly one thinks, as long as it is in line with the goal, removal of what the masses see as a problem that is in office.

So by that, you have failed. Your worry about the details when the bigger picture should be main focus.

Well, i am glad i failed your test because your test doesn't matter. I am my own person and your choices do not effect me. You are neither in my state, nor will your individual choice or vote really matter in the scheme of the election. We can only hope that our choices can effect the outcome, unless we have another split of the popular & electorial college. And trying tonconvince someone that may have similar but different views means nothing. You need to convince the majority of people, who only see red or blue, conservative or liberal, republican or democrat. It shouldn't matter what exactly one thinks, as long as it is in line with the goal, removal of what the masses see as a problem that is in office.

So by that, you have failed. Your worry about the details when the bigger picture should be main focus.
    >bigger picture
    >is ready to vote for the democratic fascist instead of the republican one

ho kay bro