Page 168 of 228 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

The people who live in coastal urban cities tend to be a pretty liberal bunch. We*re leading the country on minimum wage laws, paid sick leave, climate change mitigation, and a host of other important issues. We care deeply about equality of opportunity, and we*re willing to invest our time and money to advance that effort*even if the people we help don*t always look like us or come from the same neighborhood, state, or even country. I*m proud to count myself among their number.

And then we turn to housing. Maybe it*s just because we*re doing great on so many other fronts, but when I look at our inability to solve the housing crisis in places like San Francisco, New York, and Washington, D.C., I*m left feeling nothing but depression and hopelessness. It*s all the more frustrating because unaffordable housing might be the most important economic problem facing residents of liberal U.S. cities, and we*re perfectly, comprehensively, and unmistakably blowing it.
    https://marketurbanismreport.com/the...tal-us-cities/
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

there are a ton of housing policies that are based on the redlineing, racism etc that we take for granted that need to change, and are changing that would go a long way to solving these problems. for example, minneapolis just overturned there policy on limiting the number of unrelated humans who live in a house, which will go a long way to fixing the density problem. this policy was based on racism mostly, with a healthy dose of "get off my lawn ya damn kids"

another policy that st paul is fixing is mandatory parking counts. this is a byproduct of the automotive industries middle man, that when you build/rent a business location, there must be enough car parking around it in order to pass city code. as a result, huge sections of down town are parking lots. which is absurd, because you are in a city, why the hell do you want to park your car? this leads to lower density, and lower tax returns because the land is not being used for its economic benefit. and it just leads to the suburban problem .... just miles and miles of worthless first floor light commercial. I was just in LA last month, i fucking hate LA. because outside of the downtown, LA is literally just hundreds of miles of suburban first floor commercial. its just hundreds of miles of suburban shittiness. to go anywhere is a half an hour car drive, on two interstates ... its just the worst city in the world IMO.

codes that reward sprawl are bad. em kay. we are fighting redlining, 70 years of the automotive middle man, racism, and the like, because thats why our cities are way they are. solve those problems, and the cities work.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Affluent liberal NIMBYs are the #1 reason for the housing shortage in LA. Full stop.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

And don't kid yourself into thinking they're not still at least partially motivated by racism.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    And don't kid yourself into thinking they're not still at least partially motivated by racism.
    for sure.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Depending on geography, storage is easy. Power companies have been using hydro storage for my entire lifetime. Even with various battery technologies, it is very doable. The big problem is application and long term usage. A lot of times people want to use battery energy storage to keep the frequency on 60 Hz, but that type of use rapidly drains the batteries. If you can keep the batteries between 20% and 80% state of charge while shifting peaks and providing grid forming, the lifecycle can be much longer. So far, capacitors and spinning disk seem like they are still a long way away. I agree with thoughts on natural gas and nuclear, though. Not sure how to solve the load issues that solar causes to the grid without having energy storage. Wind is the same problem, but worse because the peaks are more frequent (though not necessarily off-cycle with usage like solar).

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Depending on geography, storage is easy. Power companies have been using hydro storage for my entire lifetime. Even with various battery technologies, it is very doable. The big problem is application and long term usage. A lot of times people want to use battery energy storage to keep the frequency on 60 Hz, but that type of use rapidly drains the batteries. If you can keep the batteries between 20% and 80% state of charge while shifting peaks and providing grid forming, the lifecycle can be much longer. So far, capacitors and spinning disk seem like they are still a long way away. I agree with thoughts on natural gas and nuclear, though. Not sure how to solve the load issues that solar causes to the grid without having energy storage. Wind is the same problem, but worse because the peaks are more frequent (though not necessarily off-cycle with usage like solar).
    this is an engineering discussion, not a political one. there are many many ways to store energy, from compressing gasses to pumping water, to batteries etc etc these are a matter of engineering. these are not a policy issue.

they arnt interested in a solution. because they don't believe there is a problem.

Turns out the gravitational field might be a decent place to store energy. Ever seen those LEDs that run on a bag of water hanging from a generator? Make it bigger.
    https://qz.com/1355672/stacking-conc...-store-energy/

Insider
    I'd rather call the GOP hypocrites for subsidizing the coal industry. It's very obvious that neither party is interested in good solutions in the energy space. At least Obama's version of crony capitalism shortened the solar and electric car adoption curve.

Frankly, I'm more or less on team no problem. (More accurately, the problem cannot structurally be addressed from here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I'd rather call the GOP hypocrites for subsidizing the coal industry. It's very obvious that neither party is interested in good solutions in the energy space. At least Obama's version of crony capitalism shortened the solar and electric car adoption curve.

Frankly, I'm more or less on team no problem. (More accurately, the problem cannot structurally be addressed from here.)
    im on team we all need to be on the same team in order to solve the problem, ergo its not a science issue, its a matter of political will.