Page 79 of 228 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

watching sean hannity get cucked is one of the funniest things i've seen in a while.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

net neutrally is dead under republicans. vote accordingly.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Net neutrality died and racially biased prohibition is perpetuated. Curious to see if the needle moves next election.

Insider
    @Jhon do you think that physical broadband will be superceded by wireless telco in a 5G world? it seems like this is the best disruptive technical solution to break the infrastructure monopoly. I hope that neutrality can be baked in
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    @Jhon do you think that physical broadband will be superceded by wireless telco in a 5G world? it seems like this is the best disruptive technical solution to break the infrastructure monopoly. I hope that neutrality can be baked in
    Heh, I am filing a LLC to answer that question. I am not convinced 5g microcell is the best permanent solution, but there is some emerging technology that I think can work quite well. The challenge is baking in neutrality, but the less massive the barrier to entry the more competitive the market. That can be baked in.

yeah i think its naive to think neutrally can be built into 5g, considering the cell companies ....

Interestingly, cell phone companies sold off a ton of their assets and lease the infrastructure from 3rd parties. That includes the fiber and towers. What people don't understand is the impact of internet fast lanes and data center colocation. The money to be made with the internet fast lanes isn't on the subscriber, it's on the content provider and repealing net neutrality gives leverage to the ISP against the content companies. That's why you've seen the content companies support net neutrality and the ISPs want it repealed. Voters/ subscribers never see the back-end mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Interestingly, cell phone companies sold off a ton of their assets and lease the infrastructure from 3rd parties. That includes the fiber and towers. What people don't understand is the impact of internet fast lanes and data center colocation. The money to be made with the internet fast lanes isn't on the subscriber, it's on the content provider and repealing net neutrality gives leverage to the ISP against the content companies. That's why you've seen the content companies support net neutrality and the ISPs want it repealed. Voters/ subscribers never see the back-end mechanics.
    except that they have to pay for it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    except that they have to pay for it in the end.
    I didn't say they didn't pay for it. Of course content companies (netflix, etc) are going to raise prices and the real demon, the ISP, maintains prices which looks to the uninformed customer that netflix is greedy. It's a clever play and we can thank our wonderful president and his apointees for this one.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 04-20-2018 at 06:08 PM.