Page 162 of 228 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    And I think I could make a pretty strong argument that hedonism is one of the largest drivers of the American economy so I'm not sure it's a great pejorative in this context.
    we should get to the meaning of hedonism that lurker is referring to. in your context you are using it analogous to "greed" in, in lurkers post i take it to mean "fucking around is fun"

and in both cases #1, thats not the proper usage of the word, and #2 even if it was, its still not accurate as a criticism of people who decide not have there own children.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

See, I took Steve to mean Epicurean Hedonism, which would be more akin to gluttony than greed. Though still not apt. Either way, it would make Steve and Lurker somewhat synonymous from that context.
    Last edited by Unfated33; 01-02-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Epicurial? Epicurean? I bet hardly anyone knew either of the words anyway.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I could have this wrong, but Im pretty sure hedonism was originally explicitly about finding meaning
    Sure, it's just a particular ethical framework and concomitant value system. It's interesting that it's assumed to be pejorative at all. Especially when it's explicitly disclaimed.

Really, more a statement about the quality of recreational drugs and streaming content in God's year 2019. Americans are so digitally medicated that coital frequency is down.

Ironically but true to form, G-money just assumed the statement was about him specifically. Meaning being very obviously personal, I'm not comparing value systems between he and I, but I'm certainly suggesting that the erosion of traditional values could be an additional driver of lower birth rates. Which is actually in agreement with his position! I just think the idea that someone would have kids primarily not to be hassled is insufficiently explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Sure, it's just a particular ethical framework and concomitant value system. It's interesting that it's assumed to be pejorative at all. Especially when it's explicitly disclaimed.

Really, more a statement about the quality of recreational drugs and streaming content in God's year 2019. Americans are so digitally medicated that coital frequency is down.

Ironically but true to form, G-money just assumed the statement was about him specifically. Meaning being very obviously personal, I'm not comparing value systems between he and I, but I'm certainly suggesting that the erosion of traditional values could be an additional driver of lower birth rates. Which is actually in agreement with his position! I just think the idea that someone would have kids primarily not to be hassled is insufficiently explanatory.
    c'mon man, you are more woke than that. this is bush league thinking.

people don't have kids because they want to avoid being hassled. you can't possibly be obtuse enough to serious think thats what i meant. being hassled later in life for not having kids is the product of a system that builds an expectation that you will have kids. that everyone must have kids. that this is the eventuality for everyone. that your life is not a success or complete until you have kids.

in my travels i dated a woman who was 24, who when she found out i didnt want kids, was honestly dumbstruck, she had never even considered not having kids was a possibility for her life. thats how the system grinds you up and spits you out.

i think NGT said it best when he talked about being a black astrophysicist ... its not that he was ever told he couldn't do it. its that every person, every force of influence in his life pushed him somewhere else. every teacher along the way. all his friends. what he read, and what advice everyone gave him. it was all something other than being a scientist. no one told him he couldnt. but when he looks back and sees where did everyone else go, what did they do ... they arnt behind him. because the power of the system to establish norms and influence behavior is so powerful, we will never know how many black scientists we have lost to other professions because someone told them, because of there race, to do something else with there lives. there race didn't need to forbid them from something, for it to prevent them from doing it.

if you think these systems and forces have not had real influences on your life, and your choices, ive got news for you.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-03-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

What is life without kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    its like life, but without kids.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    its like life, but without kids.
    Not for long. So, like death.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Pretty nice, although I still manage to keep too busy.

social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.: https://wokesloth.com/alexandria-oca...9wijVYIJEBxqM4

... Agggh, if it takes too long to explain it, I've failed.

I don't fault anyone for choosing not to have kids, because of about a billion acceptable reasons. If everyone decided to not have kids, it would be a tremendous problem. Generally then, downward trends of birthrates aren't ideal even when seen as a necessary step to reduce world population size.

I don't care if you individuals go off to do something besides have kids, but someone better have kids.