Page 76 of 228 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

Insider
    "We need to look at a water feedback of .5, of 1. of 2, we need to track aerosol levels and put that in, we need to track TSI and put that in. We need, like they said in 1995, decades. We need to do better science. "

Just so you know, this is exactly what the paper you claim you read is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Psychological PROFILE. I think it's rediculous that people automatically jump to race when it is a played-out conversation. Socioeconomic profiles are more telling than skin pigment, but can we not agree that giving up a bit more privacy to give insight into mental history is probably necessary?
    Race is historically how authorities have profiled.

Psychological profiling everyone would be an immense amount of work.

But hey, you should check out this anime I saw a couple years ago that explores that a little called "Psycho-Pass". Pretty entertaining, although as a warning there is some pretty graphic violence.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Since I had a few moments this morning, I took a whopping 2 minutes to cut and paste this. YES, the FBI arrests people who they suspect of causing a mass shooting, even before they get weapons. Here are 4 examples. Do we need more? Why can't you guys google "FBI Arrest Mass Shooting" yourselves instead of having to take my word for it? :P

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/cri...366609371.html

http://www.abc12.com/home/headlines/...342565292.html

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/articl...r/77-496753289

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-arres...155910342.html
    Looks I got that one wrong. The CNN threats/Michigan cases are definitely the closest comparison to Florida. Though I still think he should have never been able to purchase the firearm so easily in the first place without a detailed background investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Race is historically how authorities have profiled.

Psychological profiling everyone would be an immense amount of work.

But hey, you should check out this anime I saw a couple years ago that explores that a little called "Psycho-Pass". Pretty entertaining, although as a warning there is some pretty graphic violence.
    So, you concede? All profiling means is correlating NOT causing. It's really not a big deal and building a profile isn't very difficult at all. Advertisers do it all the time. Again, it's a matter of privacy. Trade privacy for security... Apply for a gun and submit to voluntary monitoring. For security clearances, I can't tell you how many people I saw lose them because of social media traffic. It's not difficult and profiling is not a bad thing, but it comes at a personal cost.

The NSA algorithms can monitor traffic, but they are almost always forensic in nature. Solutions exist that could be implimented with high accuracy given a bit of funded research... Which the GOP and NRA killed.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 03-08-2018 at 11:30 AM.

I'm not sure I'm ready to concede that.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Not just fuck, but mother-fuck the GOP: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...t-lanes/?amp=1

It's not a conservative party, but rather a corporate party.

If the conservative party was a true corporate party and the democratic party was a true labor party they'd probably get along better. All these social issues make it impossible to compromise in a lot of ways

Insider
    You know I've never thought of it before, but what if we just separated economic and social issues and elected entirely different officials for those functions? Currently we elect bulk representatives, who then appoint specific officers for each issue.

Negative side effect: twice as many politicians.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

This is where coalition governments would be useful. You'd get a main block party that is either economic or social, and they'd have to align with at least one other economic or social group to form a majority government. So the right libertarians align with the evangelicals, if the two groups could make up 51% of the party. The downside is that right now the only people that would get along are the Corporatists in each of the Democratic and Republican parties.

Good Lord.