Page 33 of 228 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

Thumbs up

Who thought making the internet a utility was a good idea, yep lets make the government in charge of it, I mean after all everything they do is successful right ?

endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Who thought making the internet a utility was a good idea, yep lets make the government in charge of it, I mean after all everything they do is successful right ?

Except it isn't.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I am not opposed to treating it as a utility. Moving forward, water, power and connectivity are basic needs of every home. I much prefer carrier neutral networks possibly owned by local municipalities allowing ISPs to operate on them. In that model, the city itself becomes the anchor tenant which justifies build-outs in low population density areas. Look up UTOPIA. I love that company and Robert Timmerman (their CEO) is a great dude who will share their model.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 12-15-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post

Huh? The government isn't "in charge" of most utilities, the set forth regulations and incentives (for better or for worse) to ensure monopoly behavior doesn't lead to your utilities getting cut off or prices go through the roof

Quote Originally Posted by d0cwho View Post
    Huh? The government isn't "in charge" of most utilities, the set forth regulations and incentives (for better or for worse) to ensure monopoly behavior doesn't lead to your utilities getting cut off or prices go through the roof
    I guess in charge was wrong wording, in control would have been a better choice.

They are in charge by virtue of the laws/regulations.

The government is good at breaking things and killing people and that's about all they are good at......

Who operates your local water and sewer utility?

defending getting ripped off by corporations is a classic republican value.

so is not allowing blue states to have states rights too. thats right, if a state wants to protect net neutrality, the FCC is trying to block them from making such regulations. gotta love republican "freedom"

never mind the fact that due to collusion between time warner and comcast, we pay through the nose for shitty internet in the USA already ....
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Talking

Government intrusion into the private sector is bad.

The Marxist nanny state mentality has been taught at so called higher learning institutions for decades.

I can see it's very prevalent in those that have attended such.

The last hundred years of capitalism in the US (or anywhere, really) would disagree with you.

Also, bonus points for the classic shitting on higher education angle.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 12-15-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post

Also, bonus points for the classic shitting on higher education angle.
    Oh so thats what the college educated call truth now ?

Might be one of the reasons why free speech is dead on most college campuses now.

Just ask any conservative thats been asked to come give a speech, and had the event cancelled because of danger from the marxist young turks threatening bodily harm to said speaker.