Page 65 of 228 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that!! I personally have felt that luck has and does significantly contributed to my career trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by d0cwho View Post
    Josh how do you explain why every other countries that regulate guns has lower homicide rates/less gun related crimes? How do you explain why gun-related deaths/shootings went down after more controls were placed on gun ownership - namely Switzerland and Australia? I'm honestly curious because what limited data points we have seem to suggest that reducing the number of guns and limiting ownership leads to a safer country.
    I'm not trying to butress pbjosh's arguments but, you have to look at (and control for) a lot more factors than just gun regulations before you can say that restricting gun ownership is the best or most appropriate method. For example, both of those countries have better mental health care availability than the U.S. (even on a simple # of psychiatrists per 100K people basis). Or for another example, economic distribution in those countries is quite a bit flatter than the U.S. This gets to the point that Cockerpunk has been making- we need more data.

In spite of all that, it would appear (again lacking direct, official numbers) that Sweden's policies haven't been doing so hot in regards to reducing homicides committed with a firearm (Sweden's Public Television investigation):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by UV Halo View Post
    In spite of all that, it would appear (again lacking direct, official numbers) that Sweden's policies haven't been doing so hot in regards to reducing homicides committed with a firearm (Sweden's Public Television investigation):
    But when you normalize the data you'll see that there's really not that much change.

From the same wikipedia page you refer to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    You mocked it a couple years ago when I was reading "The Black Swan" by Taleb.

As part of the mental health point, for reference, in Canada to get Possession and Aquisistion Licence (PAL), our firearms licence system, you do require a few character references that WILL be asked about your mental health. Typically they require one of these references to be a person you actively live with... If that presently applies to you.

You wife absolutely got asked if she had any concerns about me having firearms in relation to my personality.

They also ask about things like recent job loss, divorce and relationship breakdown and the like. I personally feel it helps filter some undesirables out of the process.

It's certainly not perfect, and some of our rules are somewhat silly. But, overall I feel it's far better than the American system.

The only barricades to legally owning firearms is a safety course and your references really. Following that, your application is no more involved than getting a driver's. Get your photo taken, pay your application fee and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    But when you normalize the data you'll see that there's really not that much change.

From the same wikipedia page you refer to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Sweden
    I don't have a broader set of data (I'm limited to the source) but, the graph you included isn't just about firearms but violent crime in general. I wasn't asserting that violent crime was increasing but rather the incidence of violent crime commited with a firearm is rising despite having stringent control laws. This supports my point that there are a much wider set of variables that must be accounted for before one concludes that gun control laws are the best means of reducing violence committed with a firearm. That is ignoring the related debate on the justification of focusing on firearms vice, violence in general.
    Last edited by UV Halo; 03-03-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: clarification on who's graph I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroForADay View Post
    As part of the mental health point, for reference, in Canada to get Possession and Aquisistion Licence (PAL), our firearms licence system, you do require a few character references that WILL be asked about your mental health. Typically they require one of these references to be a person you actively live with... If that presently applies to you.

You wife absolutely got asked if she had any concerns about me having firearms in relation to my personality.

They also ask about things like recent job loss, divorce and relationship breakdown and the like. I personally feel it helps filter some undesirables out of the process.

It's certainly not perfect, and some of our rules are somewhat silly. But, overall I feel it's far better than the American system.

The only barricades to legally owning firearms is a safety course and your references really. Following that, your application is no more involved than getting a driver's. Get your photo taken, pay your application fee and go.
    Does that system entail the applicant listing references and then the investigators asking those individuals for other references? I am supportive of spouse's having a say. I wonder about those folks living with or as, roommates? I don't know if they should have a say.

Quote Originally Posted by UV Halo View Post
    Does that system entail the applicant listing references and then the investigators asking those individuals for other references? I am supportive of spouse's having a say. I wonder about those folks living with or as, roommates? I don't know if they should have a say.
    I don't think it's necessarily them having a say rather than them acting as character witnesses. I would hope a good investigator can filter out the BS from the truth about a person's character.

Insider
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/0....html?referer=

"Trade skeptic" who just happened to be a former lawyer in the steel industry. I'm starting to realize the term "skeptic" no longer means someone who practices skepticism (as per the Academic or Pyrrhonian schools), and now means "intellectual hack with political or financial motivations".
    Apparently Trump is moving on this now because of a special election in W. Pennsylvania that's neck and neck. Welcome to populism.

Wonder if that election is worth the 200,000 jobs this same idea cost when Bush II tried it in 2002.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002...s_steel_tariff
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon