Page 207 of 228 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    What the fuck?

Lol, how did you type so clearly, while your head was up your ass with this?
    quoted for posterity.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    All lives matter, until the brown people are quiet and it?s time to sacrifice grandma to The Economy.
    Welp, the brown people aren't quiet anymore so we're back to all lives matter and suddenly the police are always right.

Said without a hint of self-awareness:

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

So, it seems like things have been continuing the trendline since anyone last posted around here. Let's see:

1. Bolton's book "The Room Where It Happened" blew up on sales and further confirmed Trump is incapable, but it seems baked in.
    2. Coronavirus continues to progress around the country and now multiple areas look like New York in April today.
    3. Some real civil rights victories at the supreme court (for now) with abortion and LGBTQ equal rights, but I feel like Espinoza is going to be a nightmare to untangle.
    4. 4 months out from November elections, but if they were held today it would be a slaughter of the GOP. Georgia and Kansas contested?

lets be careful, this time in 2016 things were looking pretty bleak for the GOP as well. honestly, until janaury 2021 actually seeing him leave the white house, i wouldnt count my chickens. an electoral victory in November is no guarantee he leaves peacefully. id also put very very very little stock in the pipe dream of him dropping out.

for the first time in 10+ years the senate looks in play, with a D senate and house, trump is nullified if not actually removed. the real power i think is there.

its sad that its taken 100k+ dead to convince some people that maybe trump isn't a great idea. by November, unless we do another lock down, it will be more than double that. the economy is tanking either way.

him losing isn't the end of trumpism either. the blindfold has been pulled off. fully 40% of the country is totally fine with fascism. dont expect the republicans to drop fascism if trump loses.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 07-02-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    its sad that its taken 100k+ dead to convince some people that maybe trump isn't a great idea. by November, unless we do another lock down, it will be more than double that. the economy is tanking either way.
    You know as well as I do that the upward trends in certain states are not uniformly distributed across the states, the virus is establishing itself in hotspots and locally it's going exponential again. We've got what appears to be 10's of NYC-style hotspots flaring up across the country.

Given current trends, even if we shut everything down completely right now, we've got a very sad summer in front of us. I think double is optimistic.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this in the politics thread. I guess somehow the idiots have made epidemiology political.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

this article details one possible way that trump, along with his GOP allies, can muck up the works, and actually keep him in office even if he does loose:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...a9O4XaMKSh6pdg

far fetched? maybe. but one thing is for certain, until trump leaves the whitehouse, all bets are off IMO. there is a serious chance that even if he does lose, him and his GOP allies break the country to try to keep him in power. this isnt over until he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    You know as well as I do that the upward trends in certain states are not uniformly distributed across the states, the virus is establishing itself in hotspots and locally it's going exponential again. We've got what appears to be 10's of NYC-style hotspots flaring up across the country.

Given current trends, even if we shut everything down completely right now, we've got a very sad summer in front of us. I think double is optimistic.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this in the politics thread. I guess somehow the idiots have made epidemiology political.
    Probably in the wrong thread but most of these new hotspots are huge retirement centers of america, putting the most clustered at risk people together in an area where the pandemic is surpassing what happened here in the tri-state, which is absolutely insane.

Phoenix has surpassed confirmed cases in Brooklyn and the Bronx, and in a few days will have more than Queens at this rate as well. They had more cases confirmed than Manhattan and Philadelphia combined currently. Just considering the population density of those 4 boroughs and Philly vs Phoenix and its surrounding area, the rate of infection is staggering.

To try and keep it on topic, my hope would be that these results would help people open their eyes on listening to political figures, like it is gospel. on topics that they have no qualifications to have opinions on. It wont though and people are still going to get their news as opinions stated as fact from political organizations but one could hope something like this could unify our understanding a bit.

To further this insanity based on political lines that has been drawn on this pandemic.

My little cousin, who works in the maternity ward of a hospital in Myrtle Beach was infected 2 weeks ago from a mother giving birth, when she was either not wearing or was not provided the proper ppe. She is not faultless in getting infected, apparently following social distancing protocols and and mask wearing guidelines is not a thing for kids in their 20s in South Carolina party towns, but it is unfortunate all the same.

Worst part she went through her first week with it, got retested, still tested positive for carrying it and the hospital told her she needed to come back and report for work handling newborns when they knew she was still infected......

This weekend she started having kidney problems and has been hospitalized and placed on a dialysis machine, which was something that was happening at the hospital in NY that I am managing some construction at a few months ago.

It is absolutely crazy how ignorant people are choosing to be.
    Last edited by Florypb505; 07-06-2020 at 09:35 AM.

americans got bored of the pandemic, decided it was over.

ironically, if we'd have kept the lock down going, we'd be getting close to re-opening safely numbers about now. depending on whos analysis you prefer, mid july was a pretty common place where we'd be back down to early march numbers and thus could have re-opened without significant restrictions ... if we'd just have kept going.

now we are looking at a second lockdown, or 2.5 million dead. thats gonna ruin the economy either way, so even if you dont care about 2.5 million dead, the economy is still crashing.

its like when you put morons in charge, its terrible.

its simply amazing how the baseline horror of 2020 just keeps going. like millions are likely going to die, and im just here at my computer, fixing my deck, while we collectively decide a couple million dead is cool. its shocking how normal it is.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 07-06-2020 at 11:10 AM.

the daily horror of 2020 is just truly mindblowing. the president selling beans in the oval office while 70+ thousand cases of covid19 per day are being diagnosed.

insane. and 40% of the country is totally cool with this.

fascism is a hell of a drug. we must never underestimate our fellow americans propensity and attraction to fascism.

now we have actual brown shirts kidnapping people off the streets of american cities.

if trump doesn't leave the white house in January 2021, american democracy is over. its done. we had a good run guys, but its gonna be over with an emboldened trump and 4 more years of this.