Page 88 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

https://amp.businessinsider.com/r-de...nominee-2018-9

Most transparent in history, folks.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

nothing to see here, her emails and her not smiling enough was totally enough to justify stacking the court with the most bat shit insane on the right wing for lifetime appointments.

yup.

fucking idiots.

the stonewalling of garland should have been enough for every reasonable person to vote against the GOP at the national level. the flagrant disregard to democratic norms, is 100% the fault of the GOP. not trump. they couldn't win, so they changed the rules. because why bother you know, governing, when you can just destroy 200+ years of the most stable and respectable government in order to not let gay folks get married again? totally worth it!

but hillary didn't smile enough.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Not sure why the NFL protests continue to be a discussion. When a player gets hurt in an NFL game, what is the normal field etiquette? They kneel. It's a respectful gesture, not anything like turning your back on the flag. I don't really care about pro football, but people getting bent out of shape about it is stupid. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...taking-a-knee/

The answer is racism.
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    The answer is racism.
    yup
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Elon Musk smokes a little pot and people lose their minds.

Insider
    I know I'm late to the party but honestly buying on the dip that caused is free money

I guess the last 2 are examples of "why do you care?" I swear, some people just want to be offended. Fuck 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I guess the last 2 are examples of "why do you care?" I swear, some people just want to be offended. Fuck 'em.
    This x10000

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I'm sorry, I misread the article. That was total global remittance (granted I checked the original source and it was conservative and never used the word "global" instead just referred to immigrant workers.)

Just the US portion of that is $138,165,000,000 taken from here: http://www.pewglobal.org/interactives/remittance-map/
    It might surprise you, but stuff like this can actually benefit the U.S. long term. Pumping money into other economies and strengthening them actually lowers illegal immigration. Mexico after NAFTA is a perfect example. Since NAFTA, most illegal immigrants come from Central America, not Mexico. I don't think a lot of Americans realize how poor those places are. It's the logical decision to leave and anyone of us with half a brain would make the same decision and risk the illegal crossing.

Also, I'll add one anecdote about illegal immigration. While I was in law school I interned in the legal wing of Immigration and Customs Enforcement ("ICE") working on removal cases. A vast majority of the cases were brought against individuals who were hard working and just trying to have a better life. A lot of them had children who were American and had every right to access the public schools and services. I even had one employer make sure I knew (I was confirming the immigrants story) how the individual had worked for him for 9 years without any problem. Another individual was able to save up enough money to open up his own tattoo parlour and toured the east coast giving tattoos. The fact that these people were able to eek out a living on minimum wage and send money to family back home should tell you everything about them and how hard they work. Frankly, the vast majority of the people I came across were living embodiments of the American dream.

If you want to fix this issue fix the visa system. Allow employers to hire workers from other countries more easily and punish those who skirt the system. Allow the free-market to determine how many people can come in. Don't make employers jump through hoops to get the workers they need, they will just skirt the system and illegal immigration will continue. Also work on strengthening the Central American countries economies and help improve their governance so people have less of a need to leave. I realize the last part is difficult but simply building a wall and toughening immigration controls is probably the most expensive approach and likely won't be as effective imo.
    Last edited by d0cwho; 09-08-2018 at 03:57 PM.