Page 89 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by d0cwho View Post
    It might surprise you, but stuff like this can actually benefit the U.S. long term. Pumping money into other economies and strengthening actually lowers illegal immigration. Mexico after NAFTA is a perfect result. Since NAFTA, must illegal immigrants come from Central America, not Mexico. I don't think a lot of Americans realize how poor those places are. It's the logical decision to leave and anyone of us with half a brain would make the same decision and risk the illegal crossing.

Also, I'll add one anecdote about illegal immigration. While I was in law school I interned in the legal wing of Immigration and Customs Enforcement ("ICE") working on removal cases. A vast majority of the cases were brought against individuals who were hard working and just trying to have a better life. A lot of them had children who were American and had every right to access the public schools and services. I even had one employer make sure I knew (I was confirming the immigrants story) how the individual had worked for him for 9 years without any problem. Another individual was able to save up enough money to open up his own tattoo parlour and toured the east coast giving tattoos. The fact that these people were able to eek out a living on minimum wage and send money to family back home should tell you everything about them and how hard they work. Frankly, the vast majority of the people I came across were living embodiments of the American dream.

If you want to fix this issue fix the visa system. Allow employers to hire workers from other countries more easily and punish those who skirt the system. Allow the free-market to determine how many people can come in. Don't make employers jump through hoops to get the workers they need, they will just skirt the system and illegal immigration will continue.
    this is a good post.

we are literally talking about a demographic of humans who have decided they couldn't work in there home countries, and want to come to a country where they can work ... and we are going to refuse them? folks who traveled hundreds of miles for pennies, to enter a totally new country, in order to sneak there way into a job, and have been working productively and quietly and not run across the legal system for decades .... we want to deport these people?

these people are more americans than most americans are.

just like the NFL thing .... the only reason to be against immigration from central america ... is racism. it really is that simple.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Clearly the go-to answer for anything not in line with one method of thinking. It's GOT to be racist. No other possibilities exist.

OK, back to OT: Left Only Politics. Sorry for the intrusion.

Well, when it stops being racist we'll stop calling it racist.
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Clearly the go-to answer for anything not in line with one method of thinking. It's GOT to be racist. No other possibilities exist.

Curious what the other possibilities are.

Edit: Actually scratch that, I'd love to hear how flying a Confederate flag over US soil is less offensive than a football player taking a knee during the anthem.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 09-08-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

no, really, in this case it can only be racism.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Just FYI re: wisconsin conservatism

So imagine my surprise when, thanks to the Facebook page for an upcoming high school reunion, I learned the school is getting a new $5.7 million stadium. The stadium will have artificial grass and a new track for WIAA events. The report I saw didn*t mention metal detectors, but it would be a good idea.

The new stadium is part of an $11 million improvement in athletic facilities for Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS), presumably so the little convicts can have the best facilities before being sent to the penitentiary.
    https://rightwisconsin.com/2018/09/05/back-to-school

I don't necessarily agree with how the money is being spent, but as one reddit commenter put it:

"When your dog whistle is a bullhorn."

It is nice when people just come out and say what they're thinking, saves the trouble of having to sort through code words and metaphors and actual dog whistles.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Nice bit of lobbying by big tobacco using government agencies as pawns!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/09/12/...-scrutiny.html

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/09/12/...-scrutiny.html
    Do tobacco companies have to do the same things that are being requested of e-cigarettes? If so, then what the FDA is asking for seems reasonable/fair.

They don't. Traditional tobacco usage is WAY down across the board. Much of the decrease has been offset by increases in e cigs.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    The FDA is specifically ordering five brands * Juul, British American Tobacco's Vuse, Altria's MarkTen. Imperial Brands' Blu E-cigs and Japan Tobacco's Logic
    Edit: These companies are the definition of big tobacco.
    Imperial Brands plc, formerly Imperial Tobacco Group plc, is a British multinational tobacco company headquartered in Bristol, United Kingdom. It is the world*s fourth-largest international cigarette company measured by market share after Philip Morris International, British American Tobacco, and Japan Tobacco
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Brands

So of the five being specifically targeted, four are owned by the world's largest tobacco companies (Altria is the parent company of Phillip Morris).

I'm struggling to find a big tobacco conspiracy to wield the government against... big tobacco.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 09-16-2018 at 03:10 PM.