Page 192 of 228 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

In case you missed it, the GoP is rotten and undemocratic to it's core.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...gerrymandering

More prescient by the day:

Whatever Trump*s personal fate, his Republican Party seems headed for electoral trouble*or worse. Yet it will require much more than Republican congressional defeats in 2018 to halt Trumpocracy. Indeed, such defeats may well perversely strengthen President Trump. Congressional defeats will weaken alternative power centers within the Republican Party. If they lose the House or the Senate or many governorships*or some combination of those defeats*then Republicans may feel all the more compelled to defend their president. The party faithful may interpret any internal criticism of Trump as a treasonable surrender to Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer. As the next presidential race nears, it will become ever more imperative to rally around Trump. The more isolated Trump becomes within the American political system as a whole, the more he will dominate whatever remains of the conservative portion of that system. He will devour his party from within.

Maybe you do not much care about the future of the Republican Party. You should. Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy. The stability of American society depends on conservatives* ability to find a way forward from the Trump dead end, toward a conservatism that cannot only win elections but also govern responsibly, a conservatism that is culturally modern, economically inclusive, and environmentally responsible, that upholds markets at home and U.S. leadership internationally.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

so basically the entire west wing implicated in felonies now. pompeo, barr, trump, and pence all implicated in soliciting help from foreign countries now
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Not sure if this is my best dream solution or possibly worst outcome. What if both Trump and Pence are impeached and removed from office? Next in line would be our first woman POTUS, President Nancy Pelosi. Imagine the howls of rage to come from the conservative wing if that were to happen.

wont happen, republicans don't actually care that trump has committed felonies. because its not a matter of law, or evidence, or anything. they believe that america itself will cease to exist if liberals are put in charge, and therefore are totally find with pedophiles, rapists, treason, etc etc .. and evidence doesn't matter. the argument about if we know or if we have the evidence or whatever, is irrelevant, because its not an argument in good faith. its just a dodge to avoid the fact that supporting trump takes away there impotence. and i dont mean that in just a sexual way, they will support trump no matter what, because he makes them feel like they are powerful again. its racism yes, its misogyny yes, but its just raw power at the end of the day, less about the mechanism by which its exercised. older white men were promised a world that doesn't exist. a world where yes, you hate your wife, yes you hate your children, yes you hate your job, but if you do them all for 40 years, at the end, people will listen to you. you will have power. you will be someone. people will have to care what you think. you will have power.

and they are pissed as shit that that world doesn't exist. its less that homosexuals exist, less that trans people exist, and more about losing the power to control and define everything and everyone around them.

and they honestly do not care about capitalism, democracy, or law, or even morality. they are going to have that power, one way or another, or we are all going to pay.

that is the source of this fascism.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-01-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I keep trying to tell people that none of this matters, even if he's impeached it'll never get through the Senate.

I don't know, maybe it'll be a good point of historical record as to which Republican senators refused to remove him from office when they had the opportunity.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

i think im at the point of determining if he will ever leave. if he win in 2020, there will be serious talk of trying to upend the Constitution and allow him a third term (hell, there already is). if he loses in 2020, there is a significant chance he does not leave voluntarily. republicans will, and already are, cheating in that election, and if we think its a slam dunk were going to win, i got news for you ... there is a probably a better than 50% chance he wins in 2020.

i think im at a place where as long as he does leave, in 2020 or 2024 ... we are going to be OK as a country. the kids are wildly liberal, the millennials are wildly liberal and staying that way, and the boomers are dying off. and the country is getting more diverse by the second. most of the red south is already trending pretty seriously purple. republicans are going to have shift away from this hard line white supremacy stuff if they want to have any shot at winning anything in less than 10 years.

again, assuming we have elections at all at that point. there is a non-zero chance we wont. if trump does leave, the country will be fine. if he doesn't leave, the country will descend into fascism.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-01-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    wont happen, republicans don't actually care that trump has committed felonies. because its not a matter of law, or evidence, or anything. they believe that america itself will cease to exist if liberals are put in charge, and therefore are totally find with pedophiles, rapists, treason, etc etc .. and evidence doesn't matter. the argument about if we know or if we have the evidence or whatever, is irrelevant, because its not an argument in good faith. its just a dodge to avoid the fact that supporting trump takes away there impotence. and i dont mean that in just a sexual way, they will support trump no matter what, because he makes them feel like they are powerful again. its racism yes, its misogyny yes, but its just raw power at the end of the day, less about the mechanism by which its exercised. older white men were promised a world that doesn't exist. a world where yes, you hate your wife, yes you hate your children, yes you hate your job, but if you do them all for 40 years, at the end, people will listen to you. you will have power. you will be someone. people will have to care what you think. you will have power.

and they are pissed as shit that that world doesn't exist. its less that homosexuals exist, less that trans people exist, and more about losing the power to control and define everything and everyone around them.

and they honestly do not care about capitalism, democracy, or law, or even morality. they are going to have that power, one way or another, or we are all going to pay.

that is the source of this fascism.
    IDK man I am 30 myself, born and raised in Jersey and I feel like I know more and more people my age that are becoming more conservative by the year. Admittedly I have never voted myself so screw me, but in the college I worked at, and in the civil engineering / heavy construction field I work in, pro trump was a big deal with people my age in a very very liberal and democratic area of America. Even looking at the recent local elections in Jersey and NY, there is more republican wins than I am used to seeing throughout my lifetime, and that is not being spawned by baby boomers, they cant afford to retire in this part of America, we also have the highest diversity of immigrants in the country in this area, and I dont think they are responsible for republican wins either, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Ys have to be making up a larger chunk of this than people are considering, at least locally to me.

I would be cautious to generalize as hard as you are doing.

I believe that its not a case of being solely inline with conservative, but not wanting to be labeled liberal. For whatever reason, being called a liberal is seemingly a bad thing. Whether one sided media or the general 'do nothing approach', being labeled a liberal means that you are allowing all the bad things to happen. Liberals want to take away the guns, want to open up the boarders, allow everyone to take their jobs, their freedoms and their dignity away. Liberals have always been labeled soft.

Also, in a male dominated world, the US has little trust in a woman. Its so unfair, that gender bias is still a thing but i believe that Trump won, not because he was the better choice, but people just didn't want a woman as president. Too many people feared that the White House would be painted pink, or she would just tear up the constitution because of PMS or whatever. Its wrong, history says its wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that Trump got elected.

Now how fast should the investigation of impeachment move? Obviously, he is not very well liked by a wide majority, and i think that the expedience of the process is 2 fold. 1, to remove a cancer from the government and 2, to hopefully stop any possible coverup of the facts and proof. It will be extremely hard for memebers of the Republican party to go against party lines, regardless of facts, law and conscious. Those that may vote would be ostracized by Trump on the way out(look at what he is saying about the whistleblower now), the party would turn their backs on them and if they are wrong either way, they would loose their voter base.

This is an interesting time, to say the least.

Bold move, Cotton. Let's see how it works out for him.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...idens-66033807

Seriously though, the house impeachment seems like a formality at this point.

The only way this makes sense to me is that he's betting the Senate won't remove him from office, so he's decided to use this whole thing as a loyalty test.

I wouldn't put it past him.

As some have been reported, if the vote was secret, then there is no question of if he would be impeached. But to cross party lines, regardless of if you like or agree with the man is a hard thing to do. No one has much integrity in politics anymore.