Page 177 of 228 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    It actually does, but sorry I bumped into your ego.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    thta being said, i too am concerned at his electablity.
    Left is relative to the window, but the point was the hyperbole to begin with. It's fair to note, I concede the point on a number of issues.

I don't understand how electability is not secondary to everything else, though. If you elect a polarizing executive, i would think the chance at winning the Senate goes down.

The electoral map is so broken man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Left is relative to the window, but the point was the hyperbole to begin with. It's fair to note, I concede the point on a number of issues.

I don't understand how electability is not secondary to everything else, though. If you elect a polarizing executive, i would think the chance at winning the Senate goes down.

The electoral map is so broken man.
    totally.

electablity is a strange one, because bernie is wildly popular, most of his policies are pretty popular, and the dude is spotless and possibly even endearingly cute/to good to be true. he is also very much an outsider and in so far, he could actually pillage some "holy shit, well trump was the wrong kind of different" trump last minute breakers. i think the marks against him is mostly that he plays into the right wing hits, they know him, they smear him all the time, and even the mainstream media, in an effort to not appear left leaning, get in on it too. the main problem, is that the right wing has a playbook against him in spades. he also might not be able to pull minority votes as well as maybe some other candidates.

im cautiously on the klobuchar train i think at this point. i mean shes local basically, but shes also stuck to issues that we have broad consensus on. all of her legislative works are very no really, everyone agrees this is a good idea so lets do it. hard to win the primaries that way, but she has a proven record and no fringe positions for the right wing attack dogs. i do think they will attack her with sexism though, shes an older, kinda large, woman ... trump et al will attack her on that every day. i think shes the closest to a uniter with real liberal values, and no troublesome past, that there is in the race.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Also worth remembering re:Sanders, only about half of the Democratic party self-identifies as liberal (assumed per current overton window). With that as your voting base Bernie is a bad sell.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

"President Trump sent Congress on Monday a record $4.75 trillion budget request that proposes an increase in military spending and sharp cuts to domestic programs like education and environmental protection for the 2020 fiscal year.

Mr. Trump*s budget, the largest in federal history, includes a nearly 5 percent increase in military spending * which is more than the Pentagon had asked for * and an additional $8.6 billion for construction of a border wall with Mexico.

White House officials said the budget would include a total of $1.9 trillion in cuts to mandatory safety net programs, like Medicaid. It also proposes new work requirements for working-age adult recipients of supplemental nutrition assistance, federal housing support and Medicaid, a move the administration said would reduce spending on those programs by $327 billion.

The president is asking for a 5 percent, cut in nondefense discretionary spending, compared to 2019 spending caps set by Congress. That would amount to $100 billion less than Congress actually spent on nondefense discretionary programs in 2019, when it busted those caps."

I mean, we're already blowing a massively bigger hole in the deficit than we were when Obama left office, might as well make it worse for the sake of military spending beyond what the Pentagon requested.

Insider
    CARLSON: I -- you know, I think that you're onto something. I mean, not someone who?s like a Klansman or anything, but someone who's totally unbound by P.C. rules, who will just say whatever the hell he wants.

You know, someone who really will -- and everyone claims, "Oh, I say it like it is." But nobody actually does. The guy who does, who says, "I'm unabashedly pro-American. Fuck the French. Who cares what they think? The Belgians? They don?t like it, they can pound sand.? You know what I mean? That guy is going to get elected. [Bubba the Love Sponge Show, 3/21/06]

Nailed it.

I have a hard time getting riled up about lovespongegate, but reading that is like reading the psyche of about half the electorate.

The military spending is such a mess, considering in war games we're not even a dominant military.

and then you doubt it when i say its just racism.

hint "says it like it is" is a dog-whistle. its just racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I have a hard time getting riled up about lovespongegate,
    Not to be a cliche, but that's a pretty perfect example of privilege.

People often ask me why I care, and I think my best response is that I want to be the best at what I do and how I live because I earned it, not because I'm a white guy.