Page 155 of 228 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Insider
    Josh, if you bothered to do a little digging you would find that histrionic is derived from the Greek word for womb, and has historically been used as a term of derision towards women.
    So? That doesn't change why I used it, or that I used it in exactly the terms as described in the dictionary.

Your insistence that it does doesn't make it so. Your need to find something sexist is inline with your need to find racism where there isn't either. You are hunting for offense. Hunting for something that is held sacred to you so you can white knight virtue signal to your tribe. It really is a weak position to take.

Pretty clear you're just cherry picking reality to fit your worldview at this point.
    See above? The correlation is there, and it fits my world view, yeah. It just happens to match a study and the video, and I said it was interesting that they correlate. But we all cherry pick to fit a world view. That is the majority of your posts. Even if I don't see the racism in half of it, you do. Just as you find sexism in a word that I used according to the dictionary, you find offense and had to dig up the Greek friggen meaning so that you can make a point that is non existent and to counter nothing.

But the study and video do correlate, and instead of actually discussing it, we are discussing your need to be offended at your interpretation of a word, or we are in an Ad Hominem way, dismissing the content of it because you don't like the editing style or the way the data was collected.

Look, just like hunting out racism and sexism everywhere you look, you are simply looking for Trumpism also.

I feel you ignore anything that can't fit into an easy "Trump/Racist/Sexist" under the folder "You disagree, and hence are Evil." You do not seem to realize the 'Other side' can have the variegation of personality that is inherent in 330 million different people.
    Last edited by pbjosh; 12-04-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Josh,

To ignore connotation in language is poor communication at best, ignorant in the middle, and intentionally harmful at worst. I expect you're somewhere between poor communication and ignorant.

Let us know if you find anything wrong with a front row seat to a hanging in Mississippi.

If you really want to discuss videos, YouTube comments, etc as metrics for...something, I expect you know I can drown you in racist, mysoginist, xenophobic bullshit just using the Fox news comment section. Let me know if that's really the route you want to take.

Insider
    serious question

should i not use the word histrionic anymore? I rather enjoy it. or it's ok but not to pigeonhole women as crazy (even though, cmon guys they totally are!)

I tell ya, i took a real blow when it turned out we weren't allowed to use the "bundle of sticks word" as an all-purpose pejorative anymore. The alliteration with the OTHER F word, that hard t at the end,it was etymological perfection, ripped from the lexicon in a flurry of PC

All I want to know is how to really effectively insult people without implicitly offending, please advise
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

You can use either of them all you want, just be aware of what they mean, how they impact, and what they say about a person who chooses to use them.

You know, try to have half an awareness of people who aren't like you.

Insider
    That's a lot of responsibility on the orator! Especially for public utterances, where the audience is general, potentially infinite, and potentially infinitely intersectional. Should intent and context matter? Should the reader be responsible for assessing intent?

I asked my wife re: histrionics and got a humorous and interesting response: she said said I should never call a woman histrionic, but it would be ok to call a dude histrionic provided we know a uterus isn't roaming around his torso. Sadly, she ruled that I can't call my heterosexual married friends the other f word ("you never know, they might be")

Hahaha, nice.

the daily show: This Flynn memo is more blacked out than Brett Kavanaugh on a school night!
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    serious question

should i not use the word histrionic anymore? I rather enjoy it. or it's ok but not to pigeonhole women as crazy (even though, cmon guys they totally are!)

I tell ya, i took a real blow when it turned out we weren't allowed to use the "bundle of sticks word" as an all-purpose pejorative anymore. The alliteration with the OTHER F word, that hard t at the end,it was etymological perfection, ripped from the lexicon in a flurry of PC

All I want to know is how to really effectively insult people without implicitly offending, please advise
    he will just try using the no true scottsman fallacy.

id also point out again, that acknowledging that racism still exists, is still not racist.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

nebraska alone looses a billion dollars the tariffs, but they will still vote overwhelmingly for him in 2020 .... https://mavenroundtable.io/theintell...e%20Enthusiast

because it was never about white economic angst.

2nd amendment activists are either silent or rationalize police actions when black men are killed lawfully exercising their right to bear arms:
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/racial-jus...jvjreAnBn3s29M