Page 194 of 228 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

the sad state of reality has really killed irony, humor, and fun.

i mean thats why dada is being embraced so much. post WW1 world and todays world has a lot in common ....
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

"Most transparent administration in history" asks judge to block release of Muller grand jury materials, while the AG goes globetrotting on conspiracy theories:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/08/just...jury-info.html

My favorite is the executive not responding to a congressional impeachment inquiry.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

as long as republicans allow it, its gonna get wilder.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Should say something that even Fox News is experiencing what appears to be shame, if they're capable of it.

Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my career'

Turkey launches military offensive in Syria amid plans to withdraw US troops
    Reaction and analysis from defense analyst Oubai Shahbandar on 'The Story.'

PENTAGON ? A member of U.S. Special Forces serving alongside the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Syria told Fox News on Wednesday they were witnessing Turkish atrocities on the frontlines.

?I am ashamed for the first time in my career,? said the distraught soldier, who has been involved in the training of indigenous forces on multiple continents. The hardened service member is among the 1,000 or so U.S. troops who remain in Syria.

?Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It?s horrible,? the military source on the ground said. ?We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement [with the Turks]. There was no threat to the Turks -- none -- from this side of the border."

President Trump said the U.S. would pull its troops from northeast Syria on Sunday, a move considered a blow to the U.S.-backed Kurds by many analysts and political observers. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan later announced a military operation in the region that he said was to "neutralize terror threats" and establish a "safe zone."

At least seven civilians have been killed in strikes in northeastern Syria since the assault began on Wednesday, according to activists and a war monitor. Turkey later announced that its ground forces had invaded the region to fight the Kurds.

?This is insanity,? the concerned U.S. service member said. "I don?t know what they call atrocities, but they are happening.?

@JenGriffinFNC
    I just spoke to a distraught US Special Forces soldier who is among the 1000 or so US troops in Syria tonight who is serving alongside the SDF Kurdish forces. It was one of the hardest phone calls I have ever taken.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career."

3:02 PM - Oct 9, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    64.6K people are talking about this

U.S. military officials told Fox News the president ordered the military not to get involved in the Turkish strikes, after the Kurds requested air support.

Kurdish forces in northeastern Syria are guarding thousands of captured Islamic State (ISIS) fighters, now without the help of the U.S. in the area.

The Special Forces member said the Kurds have not left their positions guarding detainees. In fact, ?they prevented a prison break last night without us," the military source on the front line said. ?They are not abandoning our side [yet]."

"The Turks are hitting outside the security mechanism," according to the source, who said the Kurds are "pleading for our support."

The American troops are doing ?nothing," the source lamented. "Just sitting by and watching it unfold.?

Troops on the ground in Syria and their commanders were ?surprised? by Trump's withdrawal decision Sunday night.

Of the president?s decision, the source said: ?He doesn?t understand the problem. He doesn?t understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level-headed actor.?

?The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone,? said the longtime member of Special Forces. ?It?s a shame. We are just watching. It?s horrible.?

?This is not helping the ISIS fight," the military source said.

Many of the ISIS prisoners "will be free in the coming days and weeks," he predicted.

Trump told reporters Wednesday afternoon that the captured terrorists were "really bad people who should go back to Europe."

"We said to various countries, we'd like you to take your people back. Nobody wants them, they're bad," Trump said, saying that "maybe the Kurds [...] if not them, Turkey" would deal with the ISIS fighters.

"The Kurds are sticking by us," the Special Forces source stressed to Fox News. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

American troops were disappointed in the decisions being handed down by senior leaders, the source on the ground added.

Is anyone still chanting "drain the swamp" on here?

Update: We Found a "Staggering"* 281 Lobbyists Who've Worked in the Trump Administration - That's one lobbyist for every 14 political appointees, and four times more than Obama appointed in half the time.

At the halfway mark of President Donald Trump*s first term, his administration has hired a lobbyist for every 14 political appointments made, welcoming a total of 281 lobbyists on board, a ProPublica and Columbia Journalism Investigations analysis shows.

With a combination of weakened rules and loose enforcement easing the transition to government and back to K Street, Trump*s swamp is anything but drained. The number of lobbyists who have served in government jobs is four times more than the Obama administration had six years into office. And former lobbyists serving Trump are often involved in regulating the industries they worked for.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/w...administration
    Last edited by PBSteve; 10-15-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Does it surprise you? Does it not confound people who can't get a straight and honest answer, who would support a cavalcade of lobbyists to run amok? Trump ran with the "I'm not a politician" rhetoric and now is doing everything that a politician wouldn't do, all to the detriment of the government, the people and the state.

The time is right for Senator Klobuchar to make a push into the top tier of democratic nominees. I'm still happy if any of Booker, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar take it. Less enthused about Warren and Harris, and really don't want Biden or Bernie.

its good to see that the top state department diplomat agrees with the president and his chief of staff that the president has committed a felony.

not that it matters to republicans. trump admitted it, on tape. his chief of staff, admitted it on tape, and now the state department agrees, he did it. we all agree trump committed a felony, can republicans you know, not be dipshits for 2 fucking seconds?

no, they will continue to be dipshits. forever.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-23-2019 at 10:52 AM.

And now a group of them just tried to storm into the closed impeachment hearings, because those are totally the actions of people who have done nothing wrong.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...s-adam-schiff/
    I don't know, fly casual

"Optimism is a political act. Those who benefit from the status quo are perfectly happy for us to think nothing is going to get any better. In fact, these days, cynicism is obedience. What*s really radical is being willing to look right at the problems we face and still insist that we can solve them. A stubborn commitment to solving problems and a faith in our ability to do so doesn*t need to be naive.

A healthy skepticism is always warranted; we shouldn*t believe everything we read. But the pervasive cynicism that has infected American culture is self-destructive and plays right into the hands of those who want the status quo to continue a little longer because there*s money to be made."