Page 92 of 228 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

the nice thing about the economy is its not a matter of opinion.

and its simply factually true that trump's economy is no better than obama's, and in may ways its actually worse. it would be accurate to say that trump's economy is just obama's economy continues. trumps tax cut has has basically no effect, because (again, as predicted), companies used the tax cut to buy back there own stock. nothing more.

with the exception of the tariffs, which are taking effect and like anyone who has taken economics 101, are dragging the economy down massively. but you don't need to take my word for that, you can talk to any pre-2016 republican for long lectures in how tariffs are terrible for the economy.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

for a discussion of Chinese tax rates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_China

some highlights:

68% tax rate on businesses
    foreign investment is taxed massively
    real esitate is taxed fairly high
    and the top individual tax rate is 45%

so, you are simply, wrong. china has far less economic freedom than here, and much higher taxes.

plus we already discussed how china has an authoritarian social structure, massively controlled by the government, including but not limited to government censored internet, but also it is still a one party state, with little representation or voice of the people, and of course a terrible human rights record. china also has an estimated 3.3 million slaves, so thats SUPER cool.

black is still black, and white is still white. and the claim that china is more free, and less taxed than the USA is flatly false, and you are a moron for thinking it.

Last edited by cockerpunk; 09-28-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

also dont get me started on customs corruption in china ....

At least the next time a republican says something about "law and order" during a blm protest I can comfortably laugh in their face.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...-testimony/amp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoJxuB5U8AA396j.jpg

Edit: my favorite was when SHS said every nominee deserves a hearing. Merrick Garland probably agrees.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 09-28-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    At least the next time a republican says something about "law and order" during a blm protest I can comfortably laugh in their face.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...-testimony/amp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoJxuB5U8AA396j.jpg

Edit: my favorite was when SHS said every nominee deserves a hearing. Merrick Garland probably agrees.
    i mean at this point, on what subject, can you not laugh in a republican's face? the trump era has shown that they can't be taken seriously on any topic, at all.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 09-28-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i mean at this point, on what subject, can you not laugh in a republican's face? the trump era has shown that they can't be taken seriously on any topic, at all.
    I think the Trump era has taught us more about how we deal with disagreement than anything else.

Yeah, for about 40% of us it's tacit approval through silence.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I think the Trump era has taught us more about how we deal with disagreement than anything else.
    In some ways. I enjoy reading a lot of center-right/libertarian think-tank to get a wide array of information. Reading their analyses made me realize how divorced Republican politics are from actual policy analysis.

Insider
    I think it's important to recognize that both parties haven't exactly carried out their political philosophy to the letter. I do think the GOP has been worse in this regard, particularly in the age of Trump.

Obama leaned more towards corporate capture and foreign hawkishness than you'd have expected. That said at least the bailout is consistent with Keynesian thought.

The greatest sin of the GOP is a complete lack of fiscal responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I think it's important to recognize that both parties haven't exactly carried out their political philosophy to the letter. I do think the GOP has been worse in this regard, particularly in the age of Trump.

Obama leaned more towards corporate capture and foreign hawkishness than you'd have expected. That said at least the bailout is consistent with Keynesian thought.

The greatest sin of the GOP is a complete lack of fiscal responsibility.
    thats because obama, and clinton are both actually center, to center right politicians. the democratic party has moved right, for 30 years. there is no political left anymore. it largely does not exist, and what was right wing, is now just democratic platform. on issue after issue, the democrats have just assumed the position of the 80s and 90s GOP, from healthcare to climate change, to economics. obamacare was the GOPs response to single payer. i mean for god sakes it was written by the heritage foundation, and newt gingrich is on video arguing for it as late as 2007. cap and trade was the 90s GOPs response to climate change etc etc etc

the greatest sin of the GOP has been endorsing anti-intellectualism. its at the root of every problem they have. after 20 years of this, of course up is down and down is up.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 09-30-2018 at 07:11 PM.