Page 58 of 228 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Politics

I was going to say something crazy snarky about how once again the government didn't stop "gang crime" in Broward County, but I just think it gets lost, twisted, and ignored. And I feel lost, and a bit hopeless, when we see the same common issues over and over again.

A single male, missing parental figures, mental instability, social isolation, and guns. This has gotten so common to be an instruction manual. All I know is that Phil Mudd, I feel you man:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/cn...ntv/index.html

30 million for a military parade, and 30 Billion for a wall should stop this.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    Josh, Henry's Law only tells us about equilibrium, not kinetics.

The oceanic solubility pump is transport limited. Were kinetic rates based on Henry's Law, the increase in CO2 partial pressure in the atmosphere would completely swamp the changing in Henry's Law constant. In fact, this would be great, because we'd have something closer to a linear, stable system in terms of atmospheric CO2 and temperature. Alas, this is not the case, as your graph showing a tight correlation between ice core CO2 and temperature shows that these 2 drivers have positive feedback. (see also: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...16GB005400/pdf) I think your argument is that the causality is the opposite of this, and that the ocean temperature drives atmospheric CO2 by and large? This makes very little sense to me, but I am sleep deprived.

If anything, Henry's law is most applicable to the pH discussion in the first place, since the increased flux of CO2 due to higher atmospheric partial pressure. Because the eutrophic zone harbors most marine life, and rapid acidification is mostly about impact on the biosphere, this is highly relevant.

A good source for anyone interested:

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~spk/Re...anthroco2.html

Note that we can see, based on the increased atmospheric CO2 partial pressure, that the oceans have been doing a ton of work, but are potentially reaching some transport limitations, such that if emissions keep growing, we'd be in real trouble. I don't think we're in terrible danger of that happening as the developed world is reaching peak electricity now.

- - - Updated - - -

We truly need to revolutionize how we feel about mental health in this country.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

cutting medicare, and making insurance that covers mental health more expensive will certainly help with that. so will kicking 14 million people of there insurance.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-15-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

The captured suspect is believed to have ties to a white supremacist group. The suspected ties have been confirmed by the group themselves:

https://www.adl.org/blog/florida-whi...r-nikolas-cruz

Okay, go ahead and add it to the list of white men committing acts of mass murder. That's nearly everyone on the list of mass shootings in the United States that don't claim affiliation with ISIS.

what if i told you that the psychology that leads people to do crazy things for ISIS is the exact same psychology that leads people to shoot up planned parenthood's, and schools? two sides of the same coin.

how long are we going to falsely and disingenuously ask the question "why do these things happen?" when we know exactly how and why these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    what if i told you that the psychology that leads people to do crazy things for ISIS is the exact same psychology that leads people to shoot up planned parenthood's, and schools? two sides of the same coin.

Insider
    Josh, Henry's Law only tells us about equilibrium, not kinetics.
    Well, now I can see where you are confused.

I am NOT talking about kinetics. I am talking about ocean affecting the level of CO2 in snapshots of time. In the past, a cooler ocean in [pick a year in the past 1 million] would have a CO2 level that is in equilibrium that more or less matches the temperature of the ocean. That would affect pH, because of increased CO2 absorption. Since we have major periods where the temperature was cooler, 110,000 years long, we know pH was lower, and hence, more 'Acidic' (or just closer to neutral.)

This is really not in question. Every species alive today survived that. So it is a big worry about something everything alive today in the oceans already evolved to handle.

Yes Kinetics are involved, and it is a complex arrangement much like your link covered. It is not as simple as I was pointing out - because my point in reply to Irony was the ocean pH has changed in the past due in part to the change in CO2 absorption that comes from lower ocean temps, and these changes are normal.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Supports Inception Designs
    Here's a great example of the news and social media cycle misleading folks: How many of you have heard or even possibly repeated '18 school shootings so far this year'?

I heard it for the first time from my friend I share the office with. He was surprised and said "That's a lot". I heard that and my response was "that doesn't sound right, I know for sure we haven't had 18 of these types of events. What counts in that number?" He was unable to answer. After a little sleuthing I found out (just as the same time that the Washington Post ran an article on it. To sum up what I found, out of 18 of those shootings:

- Eight had zero injuries or killed (and as best I can tell, nobody was targeted, i.e. appeared to be taking a shot/s at a building, etc).
    - Four had single injuries
    - Two were single suicides (one by a student, another by an adult who stopped in a school parking lot in the evening).
    - Two had single killings
    - Three had multiple killed / wounded (oddly though, a middle school shooting with five injuries was listed as accidental)
    Last edited by UV Halo; 02-15-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: hyperlink underline

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Well, now I can see where you are confused.

I am NOT talking about kinetics.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 02-15-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon