Page 113 of 228 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Insider
    Naturally executive action in direct conflict with the US Constitution is the correct move for an authoritarian.
    Obama had signed over 280 executive statements during his presidency. Several were in conflict of the constitution. Here are 10 from 2015, as a random sample.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...-top-ten-2015/

By your comments, you feel Obama was an authoritarian? I would have to agree....
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    Since we were talking budgets a bit ago, and how the GOP doesn't stop spending, this is happening:

The Pentagon*s budget is going to fall from $716 billion in 2019 to $700 billion (2.3 percent) in 2020. The US military had been planning on a $733 billion budget in 2020 but Trump has ordered a 5% budget cut.

In Fiscal Year 2019, the federal budget will be $4.407 trillion. The budget cut will not change medicare or social security or interest payment (total of about $2.5 trillion). A 5% budget cut across the board would cut about $100 billion. This would keep deficits stable at about $800 billion.

The order to cut came directly from Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney. All federal agencies and departments had been ordered to make 5% budget cuts.

In his most recent cabinet meeting, President Trump called on every department head to come to the next meeting with a plan to cut 5% of their budgets.
    I have been putting together a spread sheet of spending per capita and revenue per capita. I might expand it to include households and related.

And interesting bit is how to adjust it to include total Government and State spending. Interesting bit, since it is all tax, is the biggest portion of the spending pie when you include states is Healthcare, and then Pensions:

Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    I think that is rhetoric building and inaccurate. What does it help? I basically lays out what people are afraid of, the fear being real or imagined. Which would mostly be moot about 10 minutes after they hit the border and get pushed on a bus. It isn't like they are just going to get to wander in. If you want in, you really need to not be in a big group that is getting lots of media attention. Not very sneaky at all. As if there was some other agenda...

That being said, Honduras is becoming a shite ole, and I can't really blame them. Honduras has a population of 9.3 million. It has a per capita income of $2830 and 65% poverty rate. The interesting bit? I seems Zelaya has been blamed for organizing the caravan with Venezuelan funding.

So, political maneuvering on both sides, and some few thousand people stuck in the middle knowing they need out, and being sold a lie.
    I'm a little confused by what you are saying. What would you define as racist language?

Obama had signed over 280 executive statements during his presidency. Several were in conflict of the constitution. Here are 10 from 2015, as a random sample.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...-top-ten-2015/

By your comments, you feel Obama was an authoritarian? I would have to agree....
    Yeah........for starters some of those "top ten" are an agency acting beyond its statutory mandate. Two, the "net neutrality" argument is based on a first amendment discussion that is only theoretical at this point.

Only one that is legitimate constitutional violation in my mind is DACA/DAPA.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I don't object to that. The policy and the narrative are 2 seperate conversations. The policy itself would be the source of systemic racism, which you agreed is not racist. The narrative, in many cases, plays to some implicit biases but like I said... this can be educated away. This shifts the conversation away from a strictly policy issue (with the GoP) to something more of a mainstream media issue. If you can point out specific cases, I think you'd be suprised how fast we can find common ground.

In general, calling everything "racist" creates a "boy who cried wolf" dilemma. It dilutes the attention of the cases of actual racism and I find it horribly disrespectful to the victims. Racism should be objectionable by both sides, but I believe extremism has desensitized the moderates. I agree with the premise that the GoP is more "tolerant" of racism and that sucks. I do, however, reject the notion that it is the primary driver... it simply cannot be. There are too many people who are apathetic to race relations to be a conversation that moves the needle.

So, what I've been say all along is that Gordon, Steve and most liberals have fixated on race, because it's good for hysteria. It's a smoke-in-mirrors issue disgusing the root cause of policy disparity. Republican's should be ok with this because if you can't prove racism (and you can't) they keep winning elections. If policy favors the rich, it favors whites and Asians due to the socio-economic spread. To fix the race issue, we don't run around calling everyone a racist, rather we focus on the common enemy of policies that favor the elite and the socio-cultural issues that incubate the income disparity. I don't want to put words in Ryan's mouth, but republicans have created and allowed the liberals to keep fighting a war on a topic that simply doesn't move the needle. Until the left refocuses with a less idiotic position, they'll never draw back moderates.
    I understand what you are saying and I agree it's overused in some wings of the democratic party. However, I think the use of particular language to sell particular policies creates is part of the problem. It's a vicious cycle.

as if we needed more to talk about.

FBI to begin investigation into GOP operatives offering to pay women to fabricate sexual harassment/assault stories against Robert Mueller

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...source=twitter
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    I'm a little confused by what you are saying. What would you define as racist language?
    ...............[looks again]

Not sure I said anything about racist language?

How would I define it? Language that calls out and disparages a race?

Per wikipedia:

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. As of the 2000s, the use of the term "racism" does not easily fall under a single definition
    Lets see if I can find an example on the internet:

That's pretty racist.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

stating a person or demographics race is not racism.

you seem to be very confused on what constitutes racism or not.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    However, I think the use of particular language to sell particular policies creates is part of the problem.
    See above? ha!
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I was trying to better understand your position because your response seemed to describe language I saw as racist as "rhetoric building."

...............[looks again]

Not sure I said anything about racist language?

How would I define it? Language that calls out and disparages a race?

Per wikipedia:

Lets see if I can find an example on the internet:

That's pretty racist.