Page 120 of 228 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    as i said before, repeatedly, i am totally, 100% uninterested in discussing the notion of people being racist or not. its a pretty silly argument to begin with.

i have only talked about policies and ideas. these policies and ideas and the support they receive are racist.

biology doesn't care because biology is the study of living things. its a practice, not something with feelings. its can't care. it doesn't care about your relationships either, because it doesn't care, because its a field of research, not something with feelings. like saying jumping rope is depressed. its nonsensical on its face value. you do not need religion in order to judge. you judged my relationships to be worthless, no matter what i thought of them. that is judgement, and does not require religion in any sense. i believe your exact repeated phrase was "don't kid yourself" they are worthless.

my question is very simple, it should not be difficult for anyone, of any political ideology to agree to.
    What exact policies, court rulings, etc and language within them are racist? How does a policy receive support...? That's not an an abstraction. You're making inferences about the electorate. So, either the policy is explicitly racist or it isn't; either the electorate are racist or they aren't. Which is it?

Pretty sure I said meaningless, but you're being pedantic at this point anyway.

So, lets skip past your baited question and just talk solutions. What should be done to fix the current border crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    What exact policies, court rulings, etc and language within them are racist? How does a policy receive support...? That's not an an abstraction. You're making inferences about the electorate. So, either the policy is explicitly racist or it isn't; either the electorate are racist or they aren't. Which is it?

Pretty sure I said meaningless, but you're being pedantic at this point anyway.

So, lets skip past your baited question and just talk solutions. What should be done to fix the current border crisis?
    i am making inferences about the country and the systems we build and sustain. i believe i best summed it up back in this post:

"and i truly believe that the trump era has ripped the vainer off about the GOP's long history of this stuff. he shows they never really cared about capitalism or the free market. they never really cared about morality of leadership etc etc. they never really cared about children, or babies, or even democracy. they only cared about those things so far as they could be used as arguments to continue to support the social and economic structures that benefited them. as soon as they saw those things no longer supported there social and economic status? down they go."

there is no boarder crisis. no, like seriously, illegal immigration is way down, has been going down for decades after peaking in the early 1990s. most of it doesn't even take place at the boarder anyway, over 2/3rds of illegal immigration is folks who enter the country legally, and then overstay there visa. no amount of boarder action solves this.

so, there is no boarder crisis. the caravan isn't a crisis either. and if they do try to cross the boarder seeking asylum, we do what we already have the policy to do ... vet there claims of asylum and let the ones who have legitimate claims in. caravans happen all the time, and most of the time they don't even get here anyway.

there is, literally, no boarder crisis.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 11-01-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i am making inferences about the country and the systems we build and sustain. i believe i best summed it up back in this post:

"and i truly believe that the trump era has ripped the vainer off about the GOP's long history of this stuff. he shows they never really cared about capitalism or the free market. they never really cared about morality of leadership etc etc. they never really cared about children, or babies, or even democracy. they only cared about those things so far as they could be used as arguments to continue to support the social and economic structures that benefited them. as soon as they saw those things no longer supported there social and economic status? down they go."

there is no boarder crisis. no, like seriously, illegal immigration is way down, has been going down for decades after peaking in the early 1990s. most of it doesn't even take place at the boarder anyway, over 2/3rds of illegal immigration is folks who enter the country legally, and then overstay there visa. no amount of boarder action solves this.

so, there is no boarder crisis. the caravan isn't a crisis either. and if they do try to cross the boarder seeking asylum, we do what we already have the policy to do ... vet there claims of asylum and let the ones who have legitimate claims in. caravans happen all the time, and most of the time they don't even get here anyway.

there is, literally, no boarder crisis.
    I was calling the "crisis" the babies being locked-up.

So, here is my abridged theory on what's actually being framed with Trump's xenophobic rhetoric, which is nothing more than a distraction. I believe that it's no accident that he's portraying immigrants as dirty and whatever... This is smoke in mirrors. I suspect that in the GoP's greed, what will play out is something like this. They'll frame a narrative that says they want more immigrants too, but we want to be selective. They'll continue with this nationalist rhetoric (which draws people to the middle as long as it's "us" vs "them") long enough to to create some type of trade-skill incentive or educational stipulation. Only "upstanding" immigrants can enter. Then they'll increase the number of immigrants allowed to "relax" our borders to appease the democrats. From there, what really happens is the advanced sector (engineering and science, particularly) will be hit where there's selective undercutting of the native workforce in these upper middle-class positions. It's a brash narrative that hides the policy progression that that favors the wealthy elite.

Written by a liberal:http://www.eric-weinstein.net/Papers..._2002_No_3.pdf

I don?t think Trump is thinking that far ahead. Visas for skilled workers is down (I believe) as well and there was talk of the executive making unilateral changes. His immigration policy is solidly nationalist and is implemented as so.

We won't know for a while, but watch it play out over the next 3-4 years. I believe there's a lot more of this gamesmanship than the media can convey. They need an arc and don't/ can't build a backstory...

Insider
    Here is an academic paper that takes a multivariate analysis in order to deconfound the very question we've been discussing with regards to what motivates policy most strongly. I'll avoid editorializing until Monday or so.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/servi...e_citizens.pdf
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Insider
    Ryan,

Excellent find. That kills my position that the lower end votes themselves more handouts. Though it supports my idea of a flat tax, which would remove the ability for interest groups to manipulate themselves preferred tax or other standards.

Now if we could just do Flat Regulations we could remove that influence also, or greatly curb it. Ha!
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    You know, the more I read Eric Weinstein, the more I like the guy.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I was calling the "crisis" the babies being locked-up.

So, here is my abridged theory on what's actually being framed with Trump's xenophobic rhetoric, which is nothing more than a distraction. I believe that it's no accident that he's portraying immigrants as dirty and whatever... This is smoke in mirrors. I suspect that in the GoP's greed, what will play out is something like this. They'll frame a narrative that says they want more immigrants too, but we want to be selective. They'll continue with this nationalist rhetoric (which draws people to the middle as long as it's "us" vs "them") long enough to to create some type of trade-skill incentive or educational stipulation. Only "upstanding" immigrants can enter. Then they'll increase the number of immigrants allowed to "relax" our borders to appease the democrats. From there, what really happens is the advanced sector (engineering and science, particularly) will be hit where there's selective undercutting of the native workforce in these upper middle-class positions. It's a brash narrative that hides the policy progression that that favors the wealthy elite.

Written by a liberal:http://www.eric-weinstein.net/Papers..._2002_No_3.pdf
    then the answer is even easier .... don't lock up babies and force them to represent themselves in court.

easy peasy chicken breezy.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by d0cwho View Post
    I don?t think Trump is thinking that far ahead. Visas for skilled workers is down (I believe) as well and there was talk of the executive making unilateral changes. His immigration policy is solidly nationalist and is implemented as so.
    way down.

3M is hurting bad because we are having trouble bringing in foreign talent legally.

real shame too, bringing in phd level researchers to your country/state/city really ... really ... helps your economy and your community.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 11-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.