Page 131 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by d0cwho View Post
    Do you agree that prosecutors have the discretion to request pre-trial detention or money bail?
    No, because it's factually incorrect. See Supreme Court case Neilsen vs Preap. Not to mention detainment isn't the same as incarceration.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    trump decided to do what he did. we have the fucking memo. irony posted it for god's sake. guess whos fucking name is at the bottom of it?
    Well, it not at the bottom... it's actually at the top and the name is Jeff Sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    because he also decided to not do it anymore. we also have that memo too.
    Trump issued the EA providing a work-around which could be invalidated by Flores.

No amount of facts is going to change you guys' opinions. Like Josh, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    No, because it's factually incorrect. See Supreme Court case Neilsen vs Preap. Not to mention detainment isn't the same as incarceration.

Well, it not at the bottom... it's actually at the top and the name is Jeff Sessions.

Trump issued the EA providing a work-around which could be invalidated by Flores.

congress could write a new law, and the executive would have to figure out how to enforce it. also if you dont seem to grasp the structure of the executive branch, i don't know what is going to help you.

too scared to answer the question?

what a pitty.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post

Have we not been talking about pre-trial detainment? If we are talking about incarceration after the person is found guilty, again the punishment for first time offenders is a fine or jail time. The attorney general has discretion.

Also that case you cite isn't on point as it relates to this discussion. First, 8 U.S.C. Section 1226(a) gives the attorney general discretion on whether to detain an illegal immigration. It even gives the attorney general discretion to release the immigrant on conditional parole pending a decision on whether the immigrant is to be removed from the U.S. The law discussed in the case you cite is 8 U.S.C. ? 1226(c). That relates to the detention of criminal aliens who committed the crimes listed in 8 U.S.C. Section 1227(a)(2)(A)(ii), (A)(iii), (B), (C), or (D), Section 1182(a)(3)(B), or Section 1182(a)(2). Crossing the border illegally is not covered under those sections. Families who cross the border illegally would not come under the statute mandating detention, unless it was shown the parent had committed one of the listed crimes.
    Last edited by d0cwho; 11-06-2018 at 10:39 AM.

If you're following the election news today, you can get lost in the black hole that is Fivethirtyeight's coverage: https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blo...d=extra_banner

Insider
    From Matt Yglesias on Twitter:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Yglesias
    Very normal Democrats won all kinds of House races without reviving *blue dog* antics but also a bunch of reality checks for the capital-l Left in these results.

Not just a couple of House races where insurgent candidates fizzled, but the California rent control initiative the Washington *green new deal* initiative and the MD-Gov race all show limited appetite for ambitious left policy in even blue states.

Conversely, the more modest economic progressive agenda of Medicaid expansion and minimum wage increases continues to triumph even in very conservative states.
    Emphasis mine.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Very normal Democrats are my kind of Democrats. But I don't think will deter very ambitious Democrats pushing for control running up to the 2020 elections.

pragmatic liberalism continues to win.

yup. as a classic mid west pragmatic liberal, i totally approve of this.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Wednesday afternoon massacre in progress.

its totally what innocent people do. totally.

I think the ACLUs statement is hilarious. Sad, but hilarious.

*Jeff Sessions was the worst attorney general in modern American history. He was an egregious violator of civil rights and civil liberties. From his plot to deport Dreamers, remove police and law enforcement accountability, discriminate against trans people, perpetuate and expand senseless enforcement of racist drug laws, use of religion to discriminate against LGBTQ people and undermine reproductive rights, abandon protections for women against violence, and even lie to the Senate to cover up Trump campaign contact with Russian officials, his tenure as the highest chief law enforcement officer was a complete disgrace to our nation*s constitutional protections. Sessions allowed the Department of Justice to function as the political arm of the Trump administration to undo fundamental rights that protect each of us, disregarding years of legal precedent and settled law.

*The dismissal of the nation*s top law enforcement official is a huge step, one that should not be based on political motives * and certainly should not be done to protect the president or his cronies from the law. While the Constitution grants the president the authority to dismiss his cabinet members, we will be keeping a close watch on the future of the special counsel*s investigation and the impact of the appointment of a new attorney general. The Senate must demand that any nominee for attorney general must commit to not interfere in the special counsel investigation, and continue to have Robert Mueller operate under the special counsel regulation.*

https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-comme...-jeff-sessions

But don't worry guys, Irony says the GoP isn't racist. The ACLU is just a bunch of libtards anyway.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

You aren?t going to convince anyone of your views if you constantly insult them. It?ll just make them shut down and harden in their views. That?s how we got Trump because both sides think the other one is an idiot.