Page 142 of 228 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    I was about ready to dismiss Zeihan on this article, but perhaps the shift in minority support of Trump matches his predictions:

http://zeihan.com/american-evolution...d-republicans/

Though we should take the grain of salt and acknowledge that it might be premature for Trump to count high numbers of African Americans at the ballot box in 2020.
    yeah, republicans missed the boat. they should have be massively in favor of immigration and free markets, it would secure them electoral victory for decades. instead they are doubling down on a shrinking and dying demographic in order to stay electorally relevant. central american immigrates are a natural fit for republicans, largely catholic and christian, mostly conservative on social scales, and very pro-free market and de-regulation. ironically, these are the exact reasons why republicans are not in favor of immigration ...
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by d0cwho View Post
    Right but they would always have a large amount of influence in the Senate. It would balance it out. Especially if the Senate went back to requiring 60 votes for everything.
    I certainly would be in favor of creating a formal requirement that the Senate would need 60 votes to proceed - and that the Senate itself couldn't undo this rule in a future session. Which probably would mean a constitutional amendment, and it also is just not something that either party has an interest in doing. I don't know how to put the genie back in the bottle for increased partisan power in the Senate.

Insider
    yeah, republicans missed the boat. they should have be massively in favor of immigration and free markets, it would secure them electoral victory for decades.
    If you had watched the Haidt videos I like to post, he describes exactly why republicans don't like illegal immigration. And it makes sense.

On the other hand, they like LEGAL immigration - which is why the narrative really is a strawman. Here is a young woman who thinks she 'Showed the GOP' by legally becoming a citizen. Their replies are very telling.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018...-own-the-cons/

She wrote:

After 7 years, your girl is finally a US citizen! Rt to make a trump supporter mad lmaoo pic.twitter.com/fzRgOfm09r

* barbara likes creampie **** (@Barbsnoturchick) November 16, 2018

I also would like to add that i dont care if yall trumpets like it or not, i did it for the rts ** so fuck you and your momma a hoe

* barbara likes creampie **** (@Barbsnoturchick) November 16, 2018
    And the replies:

Why would a trump supporter be mad? This is what they want****** legal citizenship

* Elizabeth (@elizabethp0017) November 16, 2018

Bragging about becoming a legal citizen to own the people who want you to become a legal citizen.

Yikes. You played yourself. https://t.co/NaqDCgwGPF

* chels (@thefunnymuggle) November 17, 2018

Trump supporters WANT you to come to this country legally, not sure why this would make anyone mad. Congratulations! ****

* Kelly King (@_kellyking) November 17, 2018

Don't quote me on this, but I was under the impression that trump wants immigrants to come to the US LEGALLY like you. Congratulations though. **

* verna ** (@vernazuela) November 16, 2018

I am a trump supporter. Congratulations! welcome! And thanks for doing it the right way!

* BigMike28 (@SBrock28) November 17, 2018

Why would we be mad? You did it the right way! Legally! Congratulations!

* Blueshirts United (@RangersUnited94) November 17, 2018

Congratulations on doing something Trump supporters want you to do **** but seriously, great job!!! ****

* G (@coffeemama91) November 17, 2018

Im not mad, and congrats ******

* Jose Alvarez (@RickyJagger56) November 17, 2018

You followed the legal process. How would this make ANYBODY mad?

* Mike Letalien (@Coach_Crash) November 17, 2018

Congrats.
    Confused why this would make a Trump supporter (like me) mad.
    I'm not.

* Darrell West (@darrellpwest) November 17, 2018

Congrats on becoming a citizen the right way and not cutting the line. Thanks for making our point.

* John (@jvega620) November 17, 2018

Why would this make us mad? You did it the legal way *******

* Pennsy Girl (@PennsyDreamin) November 17, 2018

I can*t speak for anyone else, but this Republican extends his sincerest congratulations on becoming a citizen of the greatest country on earth.

* Mark (@mark_law_jen) November 17, 2018

Why would this make a Trump supporter mad? This is how we want people to do it*legally. Congrats and welcome!

* Rydak (@RydakArms) November 17, 2018

Congratulations to you. For being patient. All worked itself out for you. Good luck in your future. To much success, congrats.

* **Kal-nel********** (@NellyRoc1380) November 17, 2018

Lol we aren*t mad , I*m glad you did it. Legally.

* Naughty Sailor Woodard (@wyattwoodardpt) November 17, 2018

Okay HONEY first lesson * Trump supporters want people to be LEGAL immigrants so I*m glad you did it the right way

* alyssa rose **** (@aly16rose) November 17, 2018

Trump supporters want to make your citizenship worth something. Congratulations, America is a great place ****

* Christine Murray (@csmurray82) November 17, 2018

Not sure why you think people following the law upsets Trump supporters. But, you be you.

And congrats.

* Plastic Straw Cartel Chief (@rcjparry) November 17, 2018

Trump supporters support legal Immigrants who follow our laws to become citizens. I wish that you as a new citizen would have more respect for your fellow citizens.

* Cheryl B (@Cheryl707) November 17, 2018

Umm, nothing about this would make a Trump supporter mad. The whole point is for everyone to be legal. Duh ** Congratulations ****

* Farmer Knottadakphan (@Renfro75) November 17, 2018

When you realize that you posted that you went through the process of becoming an American citizen exactly how conservatives want you to, but you think you just owned them. ** pic.twitter.com/9ubY4Cwvv4

* Preaus (@Preaus) November 17, 2018

Well done girl! Remember to vote R, to protect your 1A & 2A rights.

* SubvertGlobalism24/7 #Walkaway from DemoKKKrats (@Zdenka1985) November 17, 2018

Doing exactly what Trump supporters want you to do to own the Trump supporters.

* BTME (@btme87) November 17, 2018
    No need to repeat myself, but I don't think you understand the republican party.

instead they are doubling down on a shrinking and dying demographic in order to stay electorally relevant. central american immigrates are a natural fit for republicans, largely catholic and christian, mostly conservative on social scales, and very pro-free market and de-regulation. ironically, these are the exact reasons why republicans are not in favor of immigration ...
    They are.

Just, let me help you here, they want Legal Immigration

Added note: ALL of them welcomed her here. Not giving two shits about race.
    Last edited by pbjosh; 11-20-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I liked this, but am surprised by how close the current setup is the the compact setup. It does show what we already knew - districting in general has led to net GOP gain, but that gain is only between 3 and 10 seats in the house.
    I would be curious to see what it does for state legislatures.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    The Great Compromise. Why we have a house and a senate.

Though one bit I did stir up a bit ago was, in the debate originally by our Founding Fathers, was to have one house representative for every 50,000 people - and now we have something like 1 for every 500,000.

I think we would be better served by having more representatives in the house.

I also think it is foolish to assume we would be wildly democratic if we changed the rules now - I think what would happen is the voter base would adjust to cover different areas if they felt there wasn't to much balance.
    Because there is an infrastructure imbalance for both the Senate and House to be Republican, I always tell friends and family they should vote for a Democratic president. It does seem like there is generally a moderate middle that attempts to divide power such that legislative and executive branches are in different hands. 2004, 2008, and 2016 are all good examples of how things can go terribly wrong when one party holds both branches. Bush and Obama, like Clinton and Reagan before them, did seem to govern differently after being handed losses of power each time. Hard to say what Trump is going to do, but a Democratic house seems like a force for good in moderating government.

It also is more than a little disconcerting how extreme the Republican party seems to be going in activist judges on the Supreme Court. Because they've discovered that a moderate conservative like Souter, Kennedy, O'Connor, and now Roberts all give them a Court makeup that they don't like. So instead we get nominees like Gorsuch and Thomas who place partisanship into the judges' chamber.

In light of the current makeup of the court, it's remarkable how much I'd like to go back to Nixon or Eisenhower for another stretch of those justices. I think the majority of Americans would sign up for that.

The point of using a republic is to prevent the tyranny of the majority from overruling the minority, and to prevent autocrats from taking power. I seriously doubt the intention was to give the minority power over the majority, as is currently the case.

And obviously it did nothing to stop an autocrat from taking power.

The Great Compromise. Why we have a house and a senate.

Though one bit I did stir up a bit ago was, in the debate originally by our Founding Fathers, was to have one house representative for every 50,000 people - and now we have something like 1 for every 500,000.

I think we would be better served by having more representatives in the house.

I also think it is foolish to assume we would be wildly democratic if we changed the rules now - I think what would happen is the voter base would adjust to cover different areas if they felt there wasn't to much balance.
    Smaller more regularly shaped districts would inherently cause the house to become closer to direct democracy. It would be akin to increasing measurement resolution.

But you're not stupid so you already knew that.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 11-20-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

If you had watched the Haidt videos I like to post, he describes exactly why republicans don't like illegal immigration. And it makes sense.

On the other hand, they like LEGAL immigration - which is why the narrative really is a strawman. Here is a young woman who thinks she 'Showed the GOP' by legally becoming a citizen. Their replies are very telling.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018...-own-the-cons/

She wrote:

And the replies:

No need to repeat myself, but I don't think you understand the republican party.

They are.

Just, let me help you here, they want Legal Immigration

Added note: ALL of them welcomed her here. Not giving two shits about race.
    How can this be true, exactly? The President just this week tried to change our current immigration laws to prevent people from requesting asylum as Congress has legislated. He's trying to argue that a legal means of immigration should be made illegal. The boundaries of what the republican party wants on immigration are factional and geographic, but at the executive level have been designed since day 1 to limit people from our South and muslim countries from entering the country regardless of the legality.

It's easy, they put up the pretense of wanting legal immigration, then they'll slowly make it more and more difficult.

But it's not as bad as the completely false voter fraud pretense, where they're making voting more and more difficult because of a problem they've completely fabricated.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...-voting-harder

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I would be curious to see what it does for state legislatures.
    This is really the key point, since that's where redistricting is handled. The potential for scary positive feedback is there.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

"So many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome: good government. They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

-Paul Weyrich, Evangelical and co-founder of the Heritage Foundation and ALEC