Page 170 of 228 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I can't decide if a national emergency declaration over climate change is a good idea. It's already more justified by the Pentagon than a border wall, I just don't see it being effective.
    none of its a good idea.

but how do you fight against a party that has no respect for democratic norms, WITH democratic norms?

i dont know the answer, truly. but we can't win a fight for western democracy with one hand tied behind our backs either.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    Good link from Marginal Revolution Today:

http://matthewg.org/bostonu.pdf
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Well, at a minimum we'll see how many Republican senators actually believe in limiting the power of the executive, or if they're hypocrites on that point as well.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Well, at a minimum we'll see how many Republican senators actually believe in limiting the power of the executive, or if they're hypocrites on that point as well.
    selling the soul to fascism has gotten them everything they want so far ... why would they stop now?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Republicans elected a con man to drain the swamp.

The proposal, which involved enlisting the U.S. nuclear power industry to build nuclear plants across the Middle East, was backed by a group of retired generals who formed a firm called IP3. Flynn described himself in financial disclosure filings as an "advisor" to a subsidiary of IP3, IronBridge Group Inc., from June 2016 to December 2016 * at the same time he was serving as Trump's national security adviser during the presidential campaign and the presidential transition, the report says.

The report quotes one senior Trump official as saying that the proposal was "not a business plan," but rather "a scheme for these generals to make some money," and added, "OK, you know we cannot do this."
    But her emails!
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

i mean what could possibly go wrong with giving the saudis nuclear technology?

only 15 of the 19 9/11 terrorists were saudis after all. some i assume were good people.

Trump is, in fact, a complete moron and an embarrassment to the country. He can't even implement his own trade policy without demonstrating his incompetence. Apparently we can't use standard language of trade negotiation because it will confuse the president.

Trump told reporters they would *be very short term. I don*t like MOUs because they don*t mean anything. To me, they don*t mean anything.*

*An MOU is a binding agreement between two people,* Lighthizer responded.

Turning to members of the news media assembled in the Oval Office, he continued, *It*s detailed. It covers everything in great detail. It*s a legal term. It*s a contract.*

*By the way I disagree,* Trump fired back. *We*re doing a memorandum of understanding that will be put into a final contract, I assume. But to me, the final contract is really the thing Bob, and I think you mean that too, is really the thing that means something. A memorandum of understanding is exactly that, it*s a memorandum of what our understanding is.*

*The real question is, Bob * how long will it take to put that into a final binding contract?*

Lighthizer quickly adopted a new term after the pushback from the president.

*From now on, we*re not using the word *memorandum of understanding' anymore,* Lighthizer said. *We*re going to use the term *trade agreement* * We*re never going to use MOU again.*

Chinese Vice Premier Liu He laughed as the exchange carried on.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 02-25-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Did this already get posted? It sounds like a variation on a phrase Gordon has used:

In short, we*ve reached a point in the Mueller probe where there are only two scenarios left: Either the president is compromised by the Russian government and has been working covertly to cooperate with Vladimir Putin after Russia helped win him the 2016 election*or Trump will go down in history as the world*s most famous *useful idiot,* as communists used to call those who could be co-opted to the cause without realizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Did this already get posted? It sounds like a variation on a phrase Gordon has used:
    either lying to your face, or too stupid to know the difference.

yup.

really, choosing between the two isn't even that important at this point. both are so fundamentally dangerous to the security of the world that it doesn't actually matter which is true.

And now, since the GoP has nothing to stand behind apart from a president disapproved by a majority of the nation, they're just going to call for nonsense vote after vote on symbolic but meaningless bills to rile up their base of single-issue voters, instead of governing and attempting to address the nation's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Politico
    Ahead of the vote, the bill*s Republican sponsors and outside anti-abortion groups lobbying for its passage made it clear that the intent of Monday*s vote was to undermine the growing pool of Senate Democrats running for president.
    "This bill is important in itself but it*s also important as a setup for the coming election, where there will be a stark contrast between the president of the United States and any one of the Democratic nominees," SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser said in an interview. She stood just outside the Senate chamber lobbying senators as they entered to cast their votes.

Sanders, Harris, Warren, Booker and Gillibrand all voted against the measure. Sherrod Brown, another Democratic senator exploring a White House bid, complained to POLITICO that the vote was held in bad faith.

"This is pure Mitch McConnell. It's all aimed at keeping his base in line, while the president grows increasingly unpopular," the Ohio Democrat said. "We're not doing infrastructure, we're not doing health care. We're not doing anything that matters to help our country. It's just votes on abortion and other kinds of divisive votes he's going to bring."
    Bingo.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...n-bill-1185531