Page 196 of 228 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

another blatant lie, that they knew was a lie in 2016 ... they just didn't care.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I?d be really curious to hear someone defend the validity of a trial without witnesses being permitted to testify.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I?d be really curious to hear someone defend the validity of a trial without witnesses being permitted to testify.
    just another day in the banana republic.

they know hes guilty. we know hes guilty. they just don't care that hes guilty.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I increasingly suspect that there is real fear on the Republican side that if you expose enough evidence to remove Trump that you also put senior party leaders and Pence in jeopardy. Nunes certainly looks in trouble, and quite possibly Mulvany, Pompeo, and Sessions. What did Mitch McConnell know and when did he know it?

That said, I'm torn regarding how far you go... if Trump and Pence were both shown to be complicit in high crimes and misdemeanors, would the nation support or reject transitioning the Speaker of the House into power? People that might support impeaching Trump may not like that extreme a consequence. I believe Pelosi is doing the right thing, but it could be constitutionally correct and politically disastrous for her at the same time.

pelosi is playing the long game. polling shows nearly 70% of republicans want to have the senate call witnesses in the impeachment trial.

a sham of an impeachment might work in the short term, but its going to go badly republicans not even entertaining the notion they have a duty to the country and to the law, and just rubber stamping it. its going to be solid election year fodder for flipping the senate, which, regardless of if trump wins or not, a house and senate in D hands pretty much renders the presidential election results not super important. trump will have his hands tied. despite it being be a presidential election year, the senate is the more critical battleground, and somewhere we can win.

In this current political environment, the Democrats should expect that every part of government is somewhere that can be won. And in candidate filings, that appears to be the case - Republican retirements are up overall, quality Democrat candidates across all level of government are also up. 2018 all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    pelosi is playing the long game. polling shows nearly 70% of republicans want to have the senate call witnesses in the impeachment trial.
    That?s easily enough corrected with 6 months of messaging on Fox News. Just need a few distractions and a wide majority of Republicans will have forgotten any of this ever happened.

Yeah, I have no faith in Republicans actually holding their own accountable when it comes time to vote.
    I don't know, fly casual

I completely agree with that as well. I think this will fall more heavily on the fact that Republicans won't be motivated to show up to vote.

Getting the Republicans to vote him out is going to be hard. Too many want to keep the party line & damn the truth, damn the laws, just because they want to save their seat/job. Without the GOP support, they won't be able to continue.

With that said, the deeper the impeachment goes the more culpable Trump & the GOP look, and basically torpedoing any possible Republican reelection bid, not matter who the choice is. If Trump is impeached, he must think the public as stupid as he is if he tries to be reelected to a 2nd term. I don't see a campaign motto of "i got throw out the first term, but i promise to be better in the 2nd term". So this, IMHO is a win/win strategy. Get Trump removed and totally discredit the GOP in the short term.