Page 198 of 228 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200208 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    its because they don't actually care about democracy or the rule of law, they are so scared to loose there status in society, being able to tell everyone what to do all the time. it was always a lie, it just has taken this long for it to manifest because of the dominate upper/middle class white male christian voting block was/is for the last 100 years.

as the electoral power fades, they will reject more and more the notion of democracy.

we see this more and more over the last 2 decades until even in court cases, in NC and other places, the GOP has outright said, we are trying to stop people from voting. leaked documents regarding gerrymandering, voter ID, over and over again, the GOP has decided it isn't going to fight on policy, its going to fight by restricting voting.

just today, dershowitz said that ANYTHING the president does in pursuit of being reelected is national security related and thus can't be prosecuted.

they don't care. they only cared about democracy as long as it returned to them the legitimacy they needed to tell everyone what to do.

now that democracy has turned against them, they are increasingly just stating outright that democracy isn't what they want.

i truly believe that democracy itself is on the ballot in 2020. this is a big reason why i dont actually care who dems pick (despite being my commie pinko libtard), because if trump wins again, i dont think america will remain a representative democracy anymore.

even if trump loses, we are going to have a constitutional crisis. he will NEVER admit he lost. and some republicans will side with him. de-legitimizing the election results, with possible violence resulting.

may you live in interesting times.

we are learning the lesson the boomers didn't, but there parents knew because they fraught and died for ... democracy is inherently unstable and at any time is susceptible to falling into dictatorship.
    And that is why this impeachment is so important. Though, another thing that baffles me, is the total disregard and forgetting of the simple "checks & balances". I learned this long ago in civics class, but have seen it being eroded & misplaced further and further. Of course, presidents have always stuck their people in, you wouldn't expect anything less, but the laws have always been there to protect the country. And that is what, i see that the impeachment represents, stopping the divide of unlimited power.

Now, whether or not the Democrats had in one way, gone a bit broad in the charges, to ensure that the chafges would stick, as opposed to charges very specific, which, would give the defense an easier time of obfuscating, hiding & avoiding the charges through subterfuge, lies, & delaying tactics. Even though the rules for this had been updated & approved by both parties, when holding the charges up to a 240y/o document that is as far away as hipsters trying to deal with a rotary phone, is dubious. High crimes? Loose definitions & interpretations had made many a lawyer rich on the backs of innocents & the guilty for as long as we had been a country.

But i have hope. Thin as it may be, that this will hold off the further decay and ultimate divide of the working class to the ruling rich, elite.

Yes, i do believe that this century will see another civil war. This country is being pushed in too many directions that we will break wnd feed on ourselves. We are the world's: leader, bank, police, military, humanitarian, lawyer, executioner, justice, doctor, work, entertainment(and that is Trump's job), transportation and many other titles. We as a people forgotten what it took for us to get their, only revelling in the fact that we are on the top.

Trump rallies around with the 'MAGA' slogan, yet has only bolstered it by his own words. his tactics of bullying, and then trying to be a bigger bully do nothing in the end. The populace are contended to "CYOA"(cover your own ass) in all things legal & illegal(red flag laws), built up by corporations that only care for profit, damning everything in the wake of profit.

I've rambled on about this too much, now.

-Barr's DoJ lawyers argue the correct relief for addressing the administration's refusal of congressional subpeonas is impeachment
    -White house lawyers argue the president can?t be impeached for ignoring congressional subpoenas, they should be argued in court.

I wish the democrats would sink to the republicans' level already, I'm sick of this high road bullshit. It doesn't get you anywhere.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 01-31-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    And that is why this impeachment is so important. Though, another thing that baffles me, is the total disregard and forgetting of the simple "checks & balances". I learned this long ago in civics class, but have seen it being eroded & misplaced further and further. Of course, presidents have always stuck their people in, you wouldn't expect anything less, but the laws have always been there to protect the country. And that is what, i see that the impeachment represents, stopping the divide of unlimited power.

Now, whether or not the Democrats had in one way, gone a bit broad in the charges, to ensure that the chafges would stick, as opposed to charges very specific, which, would give the defense an easier time of obfuscating, hiding & avoiding the charges through subterfuge, lies, & delaying tactics. Even though the rules for this had been updated & approved by both parties, when holding the charges up to a 240y/o document that is as far away as hipsters trying to deal with a rotary phone, is dubious. High crimes? Loose definitions & interpretations had made many a lawyer rich on the backs of innocents & the guilty for as long as we had been a country.

But i have hope. Thin as it may be, that this will hold off the further decay and ultimate divide of the working class to the ruling rich, elite.

Yes, i do believe that this century will see another civil war. This country is being pushed in too many directions that we will break wnd feed on ourselves. We are the world's: leader, bank, police, military, humanitarian, lawyer, executioner, justice, doctor, work, entertainment(and that is Trump's job), transportation and many other titles. We as a people forgotten what it took for us to get their, only revelling in the fact that we are on the top.

Trump rallies around with the 'MAGA' slogan, yet has only bolstered it by his own words. his tactics of bullying, and then trying to be a bigger bully do nothing in the end. The populace are contended to "CYOA"(cover your own ass) in all things legal & illegal(red flag laws), built up by corporations that only care for profit, damning everything in the wake of profit.

I've rambled on about this too much, now.
    yeah, checks and balances, again, something republicans only cared about as long as it gave them the power to do what they wanted. now that it is in the way, they don't actually believe in them. because they never actually believed in them.

the impeachment is a sham. its over. republicans won. he wont be impeached, even if they do call witnesses, which they wont.

the only solution is 2020 election. everyone you know, EVERYONE must vote against trump. its that simple. because i think there is a very real chance that if we don't vote him, and his party out, they will continue to ceed power to the president until the great american experiment is over. they already have given him the power to cheat in elections, use the power of the US government to profit himself, use US foreign policy to profit himself at the cost of all of us, abandon our allies of 80 years, chum up to dictators around the world etc etc etc

if we are going to avoid violence, it has to be kinda a landslide. a squeaker will mean violence.

as to another american civil war, i don't see it happening. its not blue states versus red states, its urban versus rural. so there is no really good geography to break the country down. no one can succeed. i do get a kick out of the boogaloo memes though. as with the previous civil war, the country boys all think they will win, but they will get shitfuck canned just like last time.

you go far enough left, you get your guns back, baby.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

To be correct, Trump was impeached. He's not going to be convicted of a crime or removed from office.

ive had several known trump supporters comment on the super bowl half time show both in that pop music now includes spanish, and that a woman touched her own own crotch.

the horror.

the president brags about grabbing women without permission by the crotch, and your gonna be mad about the super bowl halftime show? your going to hold a pop star to a "higher" moral standard than the president of the united states? she also literally did nothing wrong, to be clear, thats why higher is in quotes as we are comparing voluntarily touching your own body, with sexual assault.

how is this not crystal clear to everyone at this point? its just racism and sexism. ITS JUST RACISM AND SEXISM.

its literally just sexism and racism.

how is this not 100% crystal clear to everyone in the whole country at this point?
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-03-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Pretty sure it's no big secret I'm quite a bit further to the conservative side than a lot of people in this thread.

I gave zero cares about what the ladies did during the halftime show. No moral judgments, no outrage or shock. Not my taste in music, or shows. I thought Tom Petty was better, not because he put on a better show (he was like watching paint dry), but musically he was amazing. I liked Bruno Mars when he did it. I'd like to see Pink get a Super Bowl halftime show spot. Not everything really has to be about making a statement, or fighting injustice real or perceived, sometimes it can just be about being entertaining.

If there is nothing to complain about, then they would have complained about that. No one is ever going to be happy. Then again, people look at me funny when i tell them i don't watch football anymore. I love the sport, but detest the professional league of double standards, total abuse of the players, the near despotic rule of the game towards those players, but moreso the shear fact that the media can not stop talking about the sport no matter when it is. There are 3 other major sports(baseball, basketball & hockey) and when its those seasons, i wish to hear about those games. The preseason is practice games that mean nothing, i don't care about the workouts and the day after(can't be Monday morning, as you have games throughout the week) quarterbacking about teams i could care less about.

So the superbowl. Eh, I'll pass. The halftime show, who gives a shit? The commercials, i will see the next day. And if jenny lopez sang in spanish, grabbed her crotch and farted into the mike, its not going to effect me in anyway. People need to realize what matters more in life than these trival details that are passed by as quick as they appear.

How about fixing up our dilapidated infrastructure? Paying teachers what they are worth? Fixing and providing schools the technology for the 21st century?

If there is nothing to complain about, then they would have complained about that. No one is ever going to be happy. Then again, people look at me funny when i tell them i don't watch football anymore. I love the sport, but detest the professional league of double standards, total abuse of the players, the near despotic rule of the game towards those players, but moreso the shear fact that the media can not stop talking about the sport no matter when it is. There are 3 other major sports(baseball, basketball & hockey) and when its those seasons, i wish to hear about those games. The preseason is practice games that mean nothing, i don't care about the workouts and the day after(can't be Monday morning, as you have games throughout the week) quarterbacking about teams i could care less about.

So the superbowl. Eh, I'll pass. The halftime show, who gives a shit? The commercials, i will see the next day. And if jenny lopez sang in spanish, grabbed her crotch and farted into the mike, its not going to effect me in anyway. People need to realize what matters more in life than these trival details that are passed by as quick as they appear.

How about fixing up our dilapidated infrastructure? Paying teachers what they are worth? Fixing and providing schools the technology for the 21st century?
    the culture war is what matters to these people. they believe they are being replaced and that "white culture" is being destroyed. they arnt necessarily wrong in that we are confronting the intersections of race and economics and political power in new ways, and that the only white, cis/het, christian male dominated society is being replaced .... but they fundamentally don't understand that no longer being able to tell everyone what to do anymore isn't persecution. right? like other people being able to *exist* is not persecution.

and they will cling to every bit of that false power they were granted as is slips through there fascist little fingers. and they will sell everything out, including allowing there own children to be molested, to keep it.

racism is a hell of a drug. its the only issue that matters to them.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-05-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Who knew Mitt Romney had a backbone & a conscious? Go figure...

Who knew Mitt Romney had a backbone & a conscious? Go figure...
    strange times. strange times indeed.