Page 211 of 228 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    comparing obama renewing the patriot act to trump telling us he will still be president if he looses.

yeah, thats a reasonable point.

JFC people, eye on the ball.
    I think we were talking about the Republicans power grabs over the time of their majority in the house and the senate, which I was comparing to the power grabs made by the democrats when they had the same majority power...

Trump remaining president, you see my opinion, he will be president of the midwest and the south at that point, the major population centers of the west coast and north-east would break off. Texas and California scream about secession all the time anyway and both would be very quick at declaring if things go against what they want at this point in time anyway. The midwest would need to choose what it does and battleground states like Florida would end up being war zones most likely if things are not done peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I think we were talking about the Republicans power grabs over the time of their majority in the house and the senate, which I was comparing to the power grabs made by the democrats when they had the same majority power...

Trump remaining president, you see my opinion, he will be president of the midwest and the south at that point, the major population centers of the west coast and north-east would break off. Texas and California scream about secession all the time anyway and both would be very quick at declaring if things go against what they want at this point in time anyway. The midwest would need to choose what it does and battleground states like Florida would end up being war zones most likely if things are not done peacefully.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Why is it always immediately guns and revolution with you people...
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

lol, renewing the patriot act wasnt a power grab lol. i also love that its *renewing* the patriot act that is somehow the power grab .... like ... that makes zero sense on any level ever. how is renewing something that exists a power grab? and how is you know, the folks that passed it to start with a much much much worse power grab? like, if renewing the patriot act is the worst power grab you can come up with that the dems have tried, well then ... my point is proven. the dems can't do a power grab to save there lives. literally.

also, that isnt going to happen. its urban versus rural, its not along state lines. you go to rural california, its all trumpers. you go to urban wisconisn, its all liberals. every state is a battle ground, because every state has both urban and rural areas. there are no state lines that will cut up America. there isnt going to be a second civil war. because there is no unifying geographic lines by which states will unite.

also, having been in a place where all order broke down, guns werent helpful. the fantasy is false. i have guns, they were useless when all law and order collapsed. #laughsinarmedleftist
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 09-28-2020 at 12:15 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Why is it always immediately guns and revolution with you people...
    I mean if we are talking as drastic as the sitting president actually refusing to leave office in addition to, a massive divide between parties, and tons of talk of potential bid rigging.

The last major time in our history that something like this happened was right before the civil war. Don't think I'm being to crazy stating that we are typically doomed to repeat the past

I mean there was more bipartisanship during the civil rights act than there is right now and to me that is telling that somehow we have went past that time in history for how seriously out of sync things have gotten.

lol, renewing the patriot act wasnt a power grab lol. i also love that its *renewing* the patriot act that is somehow the power grab .... like ... that makes zero sense on any level ever. how is renewing something that exists a power grab? and how is you know, the folks that passed it to start with a much much much worse power grab? like, if renewing the patriot act is the worst power grab you can come up with that the dems have tried, well then ... my point is proven. the dems can't do a power grab to save there lives. literally.

also, that isnt going to happen. its urban versus rural, its not along state lines. you go to rural california, its all trumpers. you go to urban wisconisn, its all liberals. every state is a battle ground, because every state has both urban and rural areas. there are no state lines that will cut up America. there isnt going to be a second civil war. because there is no unifying geographic lines by which states will unite.

also, having been in a place where all order broke down, guns werent helpful. the fantasy is false. i have guns, they were useless when all law and order collapsed. #laughsinarmedleftist

I assume we are talking modern dems not the ones that were cool with slavery and didn't want to change shit way back then because I think that is the wrong argument. Just watching the parties flip flop through history should be a good enough indicator that neither really gives a shit about anything but getting and maintaining their own control though.

Back to the patriot act example I gave.

The renewal of the patriot act in 2011, also included a much broader increase on non warranted wire tapping. You remember that snowden guy blowing whistles in 2013 that was all post the 2011 renewal. Not saying that it was all the dems fault but please remember when the patriot act was made back in 2001, after the towers fell, computers were not that good and no one had a smart phone. So the more egregious aspects of that act on our personal freedoms were made legal at least during the renewal under a democratic majority, which again expanded on it.

For me to say that the patriot act was initially an overreaction is hard . We were just attacked and locally at least we all know many people that lost relatives and friends in that tragedy, and at the time the initial patriot act seemed more than acceptable as we were fighting against something new. 10 years post the initial act the renew of it does not feel like it has any regular citizens interest in mind. Even further they renewed it again this year under a republican majority again. So it is a prime example of both parties using it for their own power needs always.

Also didn't the democrats slip another defense bill in right before new years day allowing people suspected of terrorism to be detained indefinitely even american citizens on American soil?

Again nothing you are yelling about seems overly new more sinister bidder suppression has been going on forever, remember he poll taxes that were used to suppress free black men from voting? Yea not so much of a different game than gerrymandering except the other party is enacting it now. We have had mass protests and riots many times in our past it is just more sickening that it keeps happening for the same reasons because we are still not doing anything different than we have done throughout history.

And yes there are republican areas and democratic areas everywhere the same was true at the start of the civil war. You had plenty of southern supporting democrats in the north and Midwest, but when the shit hit the fan you could see where the actual lines were drawn and I can't see how we are doing anything different than we did then in a similar situation.

Who is saying guns are helpful, if you look back further in this thread I believe I said to our Alaskan/texan friend that guns were not very helpful coming from a guy who has worked in some of america's most dangerous cities, where I can confidently say when something like when the guy took his car and ran down a bunch of pedestrians down the block from where I was dropping a bid off, a gun on me would have done nothing.

I assume we are talking modern dems not the ones that were cool with slavery and didn't want to change shit way back then because I think that is the wrong argument. Just watching the parties flip flop through history should be a good enough indicator that neither really gives a shit about anything but getting and maintaining their own control though.

Back to the patriot act example I gave.

The renewal of the patriot act in 2011, also included a much broader increase on non warranted wire tapping. You remember that snowden guy blowing whistles in 2013 that was all post the 2011 renewal. Not saying that it was all the dems fault but please remember when the patriot act was made back in 2001, after the towers fell, computers were not that good and no one had a smart phone. So the more egregious aspects of that act on our personal freedoms were made legal at least during the renewal under a democratic majority, which again expanded on it.

For me to say that the patriot act was initially an overreaction is hard . We were just attacked and locally at least we all know many people that lost relatives and friends in that tragedy, and at the time the initial patriot act seemed more than acceptable as we were fighting against something new. 10 years post the initial act the renew of it does not feel like it has any regular citizens interest in mind. Even further they renewed it again this year under a republican majority again. So it is a prime example of both parties using it for their own power needs always.

Also didn't the democrats slip another defense bill in right before new years day allowing people suspected of terrorism to be detained indefinitely even american citizens on American soil?

Again nothing you are yelling about seems overly new more sinister bidder suppression has been going on forever, remember he poll taxes that were used to suppress free black men from voting? Yea not so much of a different game than gerrymandering except the other party is enacting it now. We have had mass protests and riots many times in our past it is just more sickening that it keeps happening for the same reasons because we are still not doing anything different than we have done throughout history.

And yes there are republican areas and democratic areas everywhere the same was true at the start of the civil war. You had plenty of southern supporting democrats in the north and Midwest, but when the shit hit the fan you could see where the actual lines were drawn and I can't see how we are doing anything different than we did then in a similar situation.

Who is saying guns are helpful, if you look back further in this thread I believe I said to our Alaskan/texan friend that guns were not very helpful coming from a guy who has worked in some of america's most dangerous cities, where I can confidently say when something like when the guy took his car and ran down a bunch of pedestrians down the block from where I was dropping a bid off, a gun on me would have done nothing.
    this isn't a response to my post.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

this isn't a response to my post.
    -lol, renewing the patriot act wasnt a power grab lol

That isn't your post?

Sorry to ruin your narrative that things will get better if we vote in the other guys that don't really do anything different this time!

-lol, renewing the patriot act wasnt a power grab lol

That isn't your post?

Sorry to ruin your narrative that things will get better if we vote in the other guys that don't really do anything different this time!
    your rambling thoughts on several subjects adjacent to my post are not a response to my post. you added no new information vis a vis democratic power grabs, no counter to the notion that a civil war wont happen, etc.

its like a nobody post. its certainly all words, but what relevance it has to the topic at hand, or the point i made is ... idk.

im still waiting to figure out how renewing the patriot act is a power grab, like rejecting the outcome of an election.

im going to make what i dont think is even a bold claim or not anymore: the military will choose our next president. not with there votes (though it looks like they are leaning heavily against trump), but with the decision to remove trump from the white house or not.

i dont even think that is a bold prediction at this point anymore. and i think it goes without saying that we will not know if america is a viable nation or not until january 21st 2021.