Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: History and back-end information of the "little guys"

Insider
    Oh god, it is a rainmaker. I'm everything I've ever hated and time is a flat circle

Insider
    Don't feel too bad. Years ago Colin and I used to talk about once a week. We were totally on the same wavelength. We both had though about a design for the Nightmare. Maybe make it a Semi-auto.

After talking about seal placement and such, we realized we had invented the Stingray. Together.

That was shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Oh god, it is a rainmaker. I'm everything I've ever hated and time is a flat circle
    Hahahaha
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Ryan, you just invented the Vector! Or the Rainmaker.
    I've owned both, and actually enjoyed the Rainmaker quite a bit. They both had a similar sound when fired, although distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    timecube
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Since this thread has wandered into more technical things... Is the Planet Eclipse Lever Valve patented? I was thinking that making a lever valve for an Autococker might be slick... lower the hammer mass and/or spring force or length. *seems* like it should be easy.

It almost certainly IS patented, however, Jack is a cool dude so I'm not sure he'd be opposed to something like this. Obviously, you'd have to ask him. The lever valve itself 1st existed in a zap gun albeit in a vertical arrangement.

Insider
    @JimBobFett - I'm of the opinion a good balanced valve solves that issue a touch better than a lever valve.

The LV1 has the advantage of being designed from the ground up, the the offset of the rammer tube from the valve bore really makes a big difference in multiple aspects of that gun:

Improves ergonomics by shifting tube position
    Slows valve open speed (smoother gas release)
    Allows for larger valve face - better flow characteristic
    which in turn enables lower pressure
    which requires higher volume
    which packages nicely because of the lever valve

Steve and I are fond of saying that when you've got an elegant design concept, features just seem to fall right out of it. I think the Lever is a good example of this.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    It almost certainly IS patented, however, Jack is a cool dude so I'm not sure he'd be opposed to something like this. Obviously, you'd have to ask him. The lever valve itself 1st existed in a zap gun albeit in a vertical arrangement.
    I figured a patent would at least be attempted for it but was skeptical as to if it was even capable of a utility patent. Using levers on valves isn't very new. Another way to gain leverage would be positioning the hammer axis at an angle to the valve stem with a wedge face... can't happen in a straight tube though. Not looking to mass produce or anything... just don't want anyone helping me machine the parts for a few to worry.

The cam type opening you described is likely covered under the now expired ICD 'cat patent. The vertical poppet moves against a ramped profile.