Thread: D3fy Sports to release Hodge design?

D3fy Sports to release Hodge design?

Over the weekend Paul and Sergio from the old Azodin USA put this image on their D3fy Sports facebook page.

1240254_522999064451392_1507397309_n.jpg

It looks an awful lot like the hostile rogue with the trigger guard no longer connected to the foregrip. Per PbNation, it sounds like this was done without securing the design from Alex (see this thread). Is this Vanguard all over again?

I'm not sure it is, because at least Vanguard had been working with Alex before they determined to break contract. It could be that a third party, a la Hostile Inc., has taken the Rogue design to D3fy Sports to sell as their brand marker. Paul had been mentioning a spool design to be released under the Azodin brand for most of last year that never saw the light of day - that also could be the same negotiation that stayed with D3fy Sports when Azodin released them. The other alternative would be that either knowingly or somehow unknowingly, D3fy Sports has taken the design from Alex directly without notifying or compensating him of their use.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Unfated33; 09-30-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't insert an image to save my life.

Do we know who D3fy sports is?

A lot depends on how Alex sold or licensed his design.

If he sold it for a one time fee then whoever bought is likely to be able to do what they like with it. If he licensed it for a per gun fee then it depends on his contract but it is possible he can either prevent someone from using it, or someone who bought that license can use it as long as they pay the royalty.

Most gun designers I know of take an upfront set fee that is a one time payment, with the final portion paid on delivery of the CAD files once the customer likes the design. Some license it on a per gun basis. That's great if the gun is successful but often it ends up harder to get paid...

looks like a PM8 that's gone hoseless.

I know with great certainty that the face of D3fy Sports is Sergio A. Aguilar and Paul Matthew Keller (I'm assuming, but don't know, that there is someone behind the scenes). They worked for Azodin until around February of this year when Azodin closed their USA operations. I think they confirm this in this PbNation link. When Azodin chose to go a different direction, they allowed Paul to advertise the prototype AZStealth soft goods on the Azodin facebook website for a few months (I went to pull that link but Azodin has purged everything earlier than July 2013 off of Facebook).

Interesting about the licensing. Honestly, I'd love to see a new version of the Rogue hit the market - I just hope it's all on the up and up in the process.
    Last edited by Unfated33; 09-30-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added thought that there's probably a shadow partner