Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Prototype Race Gun

Insider
    The WGP Bullet had bad shootdown at high speed from my experience. Not a good one for the Raceguns, they really limited the top end on the faster guns, and tended to cut out at anything over 10bps. I haven't had a single problem with a rock, and they had enough volume to handle high speed cycling, up to 20bps. The stock sledgehammer did get to 20bps just fine also.

I still have some programming cables, let me see if any made the trip.

Insider
    And - YES, I have one. It will need some solder. For the PC. You still want?

Let me keep searching and If I can't find one then yes please

Insider
    Let me know - I may have others that at in good condition, just rolled across it while doing some other stuff. I do have more RG parts all over.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    The WGP Bullet had bad shootdown at high speed from my experience. Not a good one for the Raceguns, they really limited the top end on the faster guns, and tended to cut out at anything over 10bps. I haven't had a single problem with a rock, and they had enough volume to handle high speed cycling, up to 20bps. The stock sledgehammer did get to 20bps just fine also.

I still have some programming cables, let me see if any made the trip.
    the bullet is just an adjustable sledgehammer. so is the tickler too.

every rock i have ever owned, both full sized and micro, blow there seals and start leaking. and PPS's whole "dont touch anything we do cause you might fuck it up" policy is ridiculous. i remember when i called them about information on re-timing a blazer, it was evident through the phone how much they hated me. so i said fuck that, and figure out how to do it myself (its not actually that hard).

Simon evil_racecocker, newracegunowner, and darkapollo can answer all your race questions over on cc.

I also have a friend with about 5 boxes of spare parts so let me know if you need anything for it.

You might run into a problem with the mq because they were designed on the eclipse 9 volt board as opposed to the 5v race board.
    I know that has caused some wierd issues and there is a simple fix on cc. All of the above know how to do it.

@cockerpunk

Craig makes good stuff. I think the biggest downfall of palmers is that their design and appearance have not changed while they still demand the same premium price.
    You have to consider that sometimes when you get a rock it may look new but its already 12 years old.
    Palmers does make their regs more complicated than they need to be.
    However, they make good parts.
    It is a custom shop.
    So maintaining the pieces is to be expected however, I have had much better luck with belsales and kapp parts. They seem to be of the same performance quality while retaining reliability.

Insider
    WGP Bullet - The reg on this gun?:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.45938...h=143&c=7&rs=1

If so, yeah, it sucked due to lack of volume at high ROF. The volume of air inside of the reg chamber was actually smaller then the volume of air needed to fill up most of the rams, so it would always need to pull air off of the volume chamber to cycle fully.

The problem with that is at both high ROF and some of the LP setups that basically used the front chamber as a dump chamber (Belsales/Shocktech/DYE for example) there would not be enough air to feed the gun because the reg wouldn't have any recharge media. This was also complicated if the gun was ran lower on the pressure range (sub 250psi) because the pressure differencial wasn't enough to feed it well. If you had the cycle time (Back + Load) close at all the ram, not having enough air from the reg, would make it short cycle. A reg with more volume was crucial on those guns.

So, while it may work in most situations, when you pressed the gun for performance on the smaller volume regs it would often fail. Not due to the reg flow (a copy of the shocktech) but due to lack volume to sufficently charge and cycle the ram without having to dip into the volume chamber to completely cycle.

Note, the DYE, Belsales and Shocktech guns, due to poor springing in the valve would get 'bolt stick' action just like the old Impulse due to the same reason: The valve would dump the chamber and in the case of the cockers, it would even dump the LPR. A reg that didn't have extra volume, or couldn't trap air (like the sledgehammer) would not be able to supply the gun to cyle it back in time. In the case of a Belsales I did the difference was really close. With a 7-8ms dwell it would have suction but would waste air, 600 shots on a 68/3000. With a 5ms dwell it would be efficient, but not feed as well. At 9-10ms it would have 'bolt stick.' The difference of a few ms is enough to drain the LPR of air and shut down the operation of the gun. And that gun was setup for 10bps. Uber slow. And that was without a reg with smaller internal volume.

Because of that I recommended larger regs on the Raceguns. So, the Rock/Kapp/Sledge/Idon'tcare all would work better then the 'bullet' at high ROF or lower pressure operation due to having more then enough internal volume to cycle the gun without having to draw from the volume chamber.

Having ran the rock for a while and fixing a ton of guns I have only had 2 with a problem. About the same a KAPP or otherwise. But I only have been tinkering with cockers for...frick, since 94? I was a mag guy...

The evolution style belsales lprs work well also.

Although I'm no fan of the "dart"