Thread: Screw threads: to anno or not to anno?

Insider

Screw threads: to anno or not to anno?

I've got some 6061 bodies to hard anodize with a few blind M4/M5 tapped holes, a blind 9/16-24 and an open 1/8 NPT. In regards to stripping/crossthreading/wear resistance, is it better to plug them up or leave them open when anodizing?

The M4/M5 are about 4mm deep and the 9/16-24 no less than 8mm. The holes will take mostly SS 303 hardware, but the 1/8 NPT may receive a plated brass fitting (or possibly Annoed 6061).

They will be more durable if they are annoed. It is when you are stripping factory anno you want to stay away from the threads. I have a pile of scrap because the guys doing my anno work had to redo parts a couple of times and now there are no threads left in the parts.

To add on what boss said,

Usually one re-anno won't damage threads (asuming the anodizer knows what he is doing). It is when you get into the 3-4 annos is when threads dissapear. I have a 98 STO that has been anodized 5 times over it's life. All the threads on the bottom of the body had to be helicoiled, and I had to make a new bolt as the upper tube was now .008 oversize. But she is damn sexy and functions flawlessly.

Insider
    They're raw/freshly machined, and I have some helicoils for the M4/M5 just in case (but will def plug them if they have to be re-annoed). So the change in diameter/thread pitch isn't really worth worrying about?

You will be fine. Type 2 anodizing only ads about 25 microns to the surface thickness (about 0.000984).

Insider
    Great, thanks.