Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target guns are gawjus.

Target guns are gawjus.

Just saying.

This one looks oddly familiar:

HGNGNGNGNG:

I just love how the form follows the function - without sacrificing form, at all.

- dat gun doe

Outside of speedball, target shooting is the only non-lethal shooting sport of any size that doesn't try to emulate real steel gun designs (unless you count nerf or super soakers). It's really interesting to see how the styling has gone off in it's own very cool direction that's so different to the curviness that paintball markers ended up with. By neccessity paintball can't get away with the detailed cutouts in these for cleaning reasons, so that's a big factor.

I think it's the combination of ridiculously curvy custom made wooden grips, clean metal cuts for everything else, and that hyper aggressive stance to line up the center of recoil with your thumb arch that makes the pistols so purdy.
    Last edited by vijil; 01-19-2018 at 01:42 AM.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

The rifles looks like some kind of railgun out of Mass Effect, super cool.

vijil. thanks for sharing those images. I recognize the "oddly familiar" one as well. Very cool looking, I would love to see some paintball markers emulate some of the design elements. By some, I mean all, except the ones it would be a bad idea to emulate for practical reasons. Paintball makers are not firearms afterall.

If these designs are the best for helping the shooter be accurate why do guns meant for lethal shooting not resemble them more?

It would probably be reasonable to be able to modify a current marker to use one of those style grips even if it is not entirely lined with the barrel like the above. These grips remind me of a Klingon disruptor.

I would love to see some paintball markers emulate some of the design elements
    I'm hoping to do just that, and to be honest some of my older stuff was in fact influenced by a couple of these

If these designs are the best for helping the shooter be accurate why do guns meant for lethal shooting not resemble them more?
    *Puts marketing exec hat on* - expectation.

Jolene personal protection shooter just wants something with stopping power and that she knows will work. Nothing too fancy.

Hemi the enthusiast shooter wants a deagle because deagles are awesome. He wants something that looks and feels like a real gun. None of this sci fi rubbish.

Jon army procurement guy has been schmoozed so much by the company that he'll just take what they offer.

The target shooting folks have a different mindset. They want every possible edge, so they buy accordingly. Win win win, who cares about everything else. Precision. Maybe team colors, forget that military styling because I just want to win. Oh, hey, that looks kinda cool too... can I customize the colors? Badabing, there's your feinwerkbau.
    Last edited by vijil; 01-19-2018 at 03:08 PM.

accuracy versus robust/reliability

you only care how good it shoots a couple a dozen times on a sunny afternoon, or indoors ... and not at 110degrees, after being dragged through a swap, and then a dessert, and then used by someone with little more training than an ape on there 16th hour of a 24 hour, 1800rnd rolling gunfight.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    For the same reasons that paintball markers don't have ergonomics to accommodate the existence of a tank.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

These are all very good explanations, especially the robustness.

All true.

Regardless, function is not the sole determinant of style. It's not even the sole determinant of function. Take one of the engineers working on these guns and plug in the required functionality of a PB gun (including robustness, sealedness etc.) but don't show them any existing marker designs, and it would be really interesting to see what they came up with.

Of course that depends on the level of operation. If the aesthetic people are the same as the engineering people, the look comes out very different again. Aesthetics are a massive (almost to the point of being priority) element of modern product design, so it has massive impact.

Convention plays a huge part in product design, especially when those doing the design/engineering are human. Outside box thinking generally requires outside input.
    Last edited by vijil; 01-20-2018 at 06:01 PM.

The problem with paintball gun ergonomics has always been, and will always be, the existence of the hopper and tank.

Any number of us here could throw some styled aluminum on our tubes. But for one, people don't much like that because it's a pain in the ass to clean. For two, unless you do something about the hopper and tank, you're pretty locked into a pretty limiting form factor.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Which is what magfed, boxmags, remote lines, the Dfender layout etc. are trying to work around.

There seem to be plenty of ideas in that regard, though I was referring more to the styling detail than the overall layout and ergonomics in the OP.