Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing a "Castle" on a Field

In general I was thinking, not necessarily for this structure though, that one should use ramps as they are less damaging to fall down than stairs, but to cover them with those grit strips and and so on to reduce slipping. Ramp more likely to fall, stairs more devastating if you do.

I have no idea how much something like this would cost, but metal grate steps should mitigate slippery paint.

I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I'd avoid ramps.

I have seen so many people completely eat shit on paint-covered ramps it's...well, it's still funny.

But probably pretty dangerous.
    It's funny even when you're the one slipping. One of the many downsides to wearing cleats when paintballing.

However, couldn't shingles as traction aides help this?

Insider
    They?d probably work great for a season, but anyone that inevitably falls on them will get some nasty road rash.

The more I think about it the more I?m leaning towards a castle primarily of earthworks with retaining walls being the optimal solution. Throw in some big concrete culverts and such for wall penetrations and entries, bury them and get a couple inches of gravel for playing surface.

Insider
    The more I think about it the more I?m leaning towards a castle primarily of earthworks with retaining walls being the optimal solution. Throw in some big concrete culverts and such for wall penetrations and entries, bury them and get a couple inches of gravel for playing surface.
    We were planning a castle in WA in a field. We planned to use the concrete retaining 'EcoBlock' (made from leftover concrete at a plant) and we had gotten a large amount of their miscut round Catch Basins (2m/6ft and better) for the corners. The idea though was to make 4ft walls with the block, and then do wood inside. With this, we would fill the inside with 4ft of dirt, and then have a dirt ramp up into the castle. This made for a safer ramp, and it would have given you a small height advantage to shoot from, yet still be all dirt - nothing to climb. The wood up top would be as complicated as a fence to put in, so the whole structure would be cheap and easy, with no real engineering to put into it besides making sure the ecoblock is stacked well.

Here is a block:

Here is a wall:

Super simple, fairly cheap, most places can deliver them and place them for you, and then just root around filling the inside (and you could just fill a rampart up to the walls in side the castle) then put up some fencing at the top.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Thanks for the continuing suggestions, guys.

Andrew, those interest me, I would think cost would be a deciding factor, but yes, they look more slip resistant for sure.

New Ion, something to look into. Grit track adhesive strips are probably the same or less cost, but maybe not. And maybe I can get unused shingles from a recently finished construction project.

Fred and Josh, all this earthworks talk interests me. Josh, I am going to Google ecoblocks and local concrete manufacturers right now. My grandmother lives down the street from a concrete manufacturing facility. Next visit I should ask them about it as well.

My personal opinion on metal grate steps is that the feel of falling onto them is akin to the starting scrape of twelve hacksaws at once. The same thing that keeps you in place is quite unkind to skin. I think grit strips or shingles serve the same purpose with less secondary impact damage.

Insider
    I think I remember corresponding with Josh way back when I was in Architecture school about that field design.

Tinker?s guild tech forum used to be about actual tech instead of Whiteboard comments...

Insider
    Hey! Yeah, I remember that. Ah - well, Barrett is kinda of a dick to me also. (shrugs) I think he still hates that I fired him.
    Last edited by pbjosh; 03-27-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com