Thread: F-1 Illustrator Striker Spring Guide

F-1 Illustrator Striker Spring Guide

Hello, all.

I cannot account for the Striker Spring Guide for my F-1 Illustrator. This is a guide rod/pin inside the spring in the lower tube. Item number 6 in the manual's parts breakdown page, part number 1010.

Looking for help in getting a replacement. Is there something from a hardware that should do if it is the right length? Does anyone have dimensions for that by chance? While I can guess from having seen it so much I never actually measured it. Perhaps someone happens to know that a similar part to a different marker will work and will speak up.

If I have to I will look for a used whole marker and buy it on Ebay or Kijiji or some-such and extract the guide from it. It would be nice to not have to go through that though.

Scan of the manual: http://www.vintagerex.com/pics/gunpi...1%20Manual.pdf

On a far less important note my detent is weakening. I think I found a source for one, but I would like to know in general if anyone happens to know if detents from other markers would work. If you know please advise. It is a style that I think was used on other markers.

Here is an image
    https://www.baccipaintball.com/media...s/fst139_1.jpg

I can probably buy one from Bacci Paintball but it would be good for fixes in the future if I knew of markers with compatible detents.

The manual says to tighten the screw that holds in the detent spring to give it more holding power but it really feels like I will strip it if I keep going every time I attempt to drive the screw in more. Also, I do not know for sure if it will help at all.

The detent thing is very minor. Really need help on the guide pin situation though.

Any advice or further knowledge on the subject is welcome. Thanks.

Hmm, I don't know if it will work, but I've seen a similar part in Azodin markers. I'm really concerned the dimensions won't be the same, though. Look on page 6 of this link for part Z012:

http://www.azodin.com/Support/MANUALS/KDII_MANUAL.pdf

They sell it on their webstore for $5: http://store.azodin.com/index.php?ro...=zero+cup+seal

I imagine there are another handful of poppet markers that use something similar.

EDIT: Just realized it doesn't sit as far into the spring as I realized for the Azodin model: http://www.azodin.com/Support/Zero_R...ng_System.html

2nd EDIT: Try these? https://www.baccipaintball.com/fst108.html
    Last edited by Unfated33; 10-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Insider
    Sadly, I have fixed that with a nail before, and a bit of grinding. It is not a real high tolerance part. Try the azodin one first, but as long as the spring fits around it and it doesn't impact when you cycle it you should be fine.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Unfated, thanks for the second link. I was on Bacci but did not see that. It appears they were listed under "ACI" not "F1" parts where I understandably was looking.

Josh, thank you. In the short term maybe I will do something like that. Telling me you actually experimented with that approach gives me confidence it is worth trying to use things like the Azodin part Unfated mentioned or a general piece from a hardware place.

Still it would be great if I had measurements of an actual part.

Thanks guys. More advice welcome, but the above is very helpful.

I think what Josh did was pre-internet or just in the wilds of Alaska or readily available replacement parts. But lots of DIY parts started as field expedient repairs to get people back on the field with whatever they have.

Insider
    Oh, we had internet. Just barely - but back in the early 90's and having to ship something out of Alaska was a $50 service fix when you included shipping, so, well, I have a grinder, a drill and this here screw...

In fact, a lot of Alaska is that way so it was fairly normal to have a ton of parts around (read that as Junk) and to be ready to fix something as needed. We had some really janky setups. Then we met Doc and things got interesting. Good times.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Hello, everyone.

Thanks for the previous posts helping me out.

The paintball season only just started here so I only got around to fixing my F-1 problems last week.

I bought a replacement spring guide fro Bacci Paintball. Did not see them there at first because they were not under the F-1 section but I found them due to Unfated's post showing they were under the ACI section.

A few days ago I put the new spring guide in. It looked different. Probably my imagination but it looked slightly different in terms of size. It was, I am certain, different in head shape. My original one was a semi-sphere. Very round. This one was roundish, but rougher.

Can something as simple as the spring guide make a big difference?

It felt like I was screwing down the back bolt/cap harder than normal to get it in. Also, I had a harder time than normal assembling the marker back together.

On Sunday I was at a big game that raised $4200 for a children's hospital. At the end of the event I wanted to test my F-1 as I know the field owner well and knew he would let me use the field and chronograph once everyone left. I went to shoot the marker and it took a shocking turn.

The bolt shot out into the barrel. The pin that holds that bolt and the bottom tube component (the striker) stayed in place. It was still in the marker in the spot it was before I shot. So after installing the replacement striker spring guide the pin holding the bolt and the striker together apparently phased out of our reality for a moment to let the bolt fly forward then came back to our dimension.

Anyone with an F-1 experience anything like this? My overall question though is can a different spring guide cause things to be so much tighter as to affect the functioning of the marker?

Thanks.

Small update. I took it apart a bit and reassembled it, being especially careful with the connecting pin.

Dried fired it a few times without gas. It seems much more normal now. Will do a real test firing actual paintballs tomorrow.

While I was at it I replaced the aging detent wire ("ball rention spring") with a new one I bought from Bacci Paintball. All I did to test was load a few balls into the feedneck and point the marker downwards. Held the balls in place. So that is promising. I guess that gets tested tomorrow too.