Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop CNC -opinion

Desktop CNC -opinion

Not to start another hate fest like the last thread, but can some of our machinist friends take a look at this site and give some options with regards to one off parts and stuff like cocker bodies.

http://carbide3d.com

Even when willing to pay, I cannot seem to find a shop/person willing to run stuff for me.

it will lack a significant amount of rigidity at the tool and spindle to do any even moderately heavy work, and the fixturing could be an issue as well, how would you plan on holding stuff to actually work on it?

personally I would say do not waste your money if you plan on using that for paintball stuff
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Yeah, have to agree with Panda on this one. I don't see that being particularly useful for larger aluminum stuff. Looks more geared for wood and plastics.

To machinist bros in here; we know one-offs are expensive and people don't really want to do them just due to fixturing alone, let alone other nightmares; knee mills are often not feasible for a variety of reasons (ex: some of us still live in apartments, small houses and other inaccessible and or non-permanent situations). I think people are looking for any leads on small machines that would work well enough for one-offs, even if it requires a decent chunk of elbow grease to shine up?

Kind of looking at you, Nicad and Ydna...
    Last edited by PBSteve; 11-10-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

That's the thing... I know one offs are expensive. I know I'm going to pay 300+ to cosmetic mill a body, my design, your code/programming...and I'm ok with that. But pretty much nobody familiar with paintball is doing it anymore... So I'm left looking at options that aren't 5-10k for a machine used like 2x a year.

Everyone in the machine game paintball wise is only doing production run stuff it seems.

If you're okay with making it a little project (tbh if I had the space I'd look into doing it) it seems you could convert a Seig X3 into a pretty decent 3 axis machine.

http://makezine.com/projects/cnc-min...-kit-hardware/

http://www.superx3.com/

Someone else would have to give you more details though, I don't know much about it.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I have seen some impressive work on a taig mill.

http://www.taigtools.com/cmill.html

it costs a great deal of money to own and operate decent equipment, and just as much (usually more) to actually tool all of that equipment up; holders, tools, fixtures etc.

it would honestly be more cost effective for you to just save up a decent chunk of change and let a professional shop do the work you want

if you had several projects lined up and were looking to get more involved in manufacturing then I would suggest looking for entry level equipment, if you are looking to go CNC from the outset I have heard decent things about tormach PCNC's

http://www.tormach.com/product_pcnc_main.html

I was actually looking at them myself a few years ago when I was still a little more wet behind the ears and did not have the job and access to the equipment that I do now.

but like I said

whatever you pay for a machine, at least double that cost and that will give you a little more real number after tooling and fixtures. That is also just for the machine and tools, you still need software and training to be relatively productive with your new equipment.

everything good is expensive in this trade for a reason

for what it sounds like you want done I would say it is more realistic to simply work with a shop to get the mill work done.

and sadly I think $300 dollars is probably a tad on the low end of what you would likely end up paying, I would love to be proven wrong for your sake though
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Hmmmm well what would you think is a realistic number in terms of a one off 'cocker/evil Ehm body then... I agree 100% that i would far rather have a reputable and skilled machinist do my project. But as stated they are super few and far between.

I mean really as stated I'm not averse to paying a shop, but finding someone that knows paintball and knows x axis from y is getting into unicorn territory these days.

Yeah I looked at all those options now (thanks for fair and reasonable responses) but I cannot rightly justify a 9k machine plus tooling to do a body here and there... I'd never pay off the tooling, let alone machine. The mill I linked was 2500 much like the other two suggestions, maybe just with less volume.

Id just really like to see offering milling again in a non production setting... Take a page out of Palmers book... Custom still means something.

I love that Simon truly brought small run/almost niche (pun intended) markers back to life singlehandedly. In fact I blame him for my rekindled obsession with custom guns. But I can almost guarantee that with AKA and Cockers and really mags getting a late game resurgence, that I am not the only person with a steady job and a 'vision' for what I want in my hands on the field.

I tried Cliff on Nation as suggested elsewhere, but he said not now and I don't know when.... And People have had guns at Destructive for literally 3+ years without even an update on progress.

Not trying to be soapboxxy. Sorry. Just miss the days when shops would take custom projects... I'm not begrudging tooling and maintenance costs. I just wish there was someone out there who knew paintball and would even entertain it anymore.

Insider
    If you have an evil ehm extrusion I'd trust a china RP shop to do the aesthetics