Thread: I am a Phantom Owner

I am a Phantom Owner

I am now a Phantom owner!

Please pardon my self-indulgent post. After seriously thinking about it sine the early 1990's I finally bought one and it arrived in the mail yesterday. My history with this line of marker is so long, as was my history of saying I was going to buy one but not actually doing so, that I had to say something to someone somewhere in the paintball world about it.

A admittedly boring photo of one of the last Phantom's made by Mike Casady.

phantom1Small.jpg

Insider
    A worthy choice. Congrats!
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Insider
    Can't go wrong with em. I need to finish mine...
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Played with the marker for the first time Sunday. It was a big game held for charity (A children's hospital).

The first 15 shots were blended by the marker like it was trying to make a paintball smoothie. I asked for help from someone I know who owns one and he introduced me to someone else named Colin. Colin is a brilliant Phantom whisperer. He got it working, chronoed it for me while I had a briefing with the refs (I was volunteering at the event as well as playing) and gave me lots of good tips, advice and explanations of how things work on the marker.

Ended up using it the whole game day and it was great. Easy to hold and aim, and fun to shoot. Reliable all day after Colin helped me.

Sadly I damaged my blue detent ring. Upset at myself that I am spending a fair bit of money buying a new detent kit and getting it shipped to me after using the marker for one day but I am doing it to be sure that everything will be the best it can be going forward.

You do realize that you can get a bit of nail polish(from GF, wife, mother, whomever) and put a dab there and that will help retain the ball.

Read all kinds of tricks online like that, including that one and there is always someone saying to just follow the manufacturers directions and do the normal thing or else vague problem might happen in the future.

Being new I want to make sure I have everything to make the marker function as expected. When I get more experience and understanding of it I will probably be more willing to do stuff like that.

For example, my F-1 is a marker I have had for over 20 years and know it very well. I was minutes away from cutting a nail and throwing it in there based on a suggestion by Josh to fix something when I found an alternative.