Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car stuff - possible causes of whirring/humming noise

IDK, I could take it to the dealer, but seems to always take longer for worse work than I could myself. Unless something expensive needs to be replaced and they'll provide the part for free, it's not worth my time.

I did put the car up on jacks and go through it. There isn't any unusual play in the wheel bearing or any suspension components. And I can't reproduce the sound on jacks either. I haven't gotten the wheels spinning at highway speeds while on jacks though, that's a little unnerving.

Before I even finished reading your first paragraph, I thought "wheel bearing."

That's what I'm sticking with.

Also, glad to see the "warped rotor myth" broken in this thread. That is a seriously strong myth that just won't let go.
    OlllllllO

I wish I could test the bearings independently from the drivetrain. I just need to pull out the axles and find a tall hill lol

Once my stock bearing in my MK4 went I replaced the damn things a good 4 times in the next 120k, they just never lasted the same tried all the different brands I could find. The crappy ones from Napa were actually the longest lasting of the bunch funny enough.

Thankfully I had a hydraulic press.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    Once my stock bearing in my MK4 went I replaced the damn things a good 4 times in the next 120k, they just never lasted the same tried all the different brands I could find. The crappy ones from Napa were actually the longest lasting of the bunch funny enough.

Thankfully I had a hydraulic press.
    pretty common sadly. on older cars often even buying OEM ones they are repackaged ones made by someone else. its well known in spec miata that factory bearings repacked are better than anyones bearings, even blueprinted ones.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    pretty common sadly. on older cars often even buying OEM ones they are repackaged ones made by someone else. its well known in spec miata that factory bearings repacked are better than anyones bearings, even blueprinted ones.
    I can see that.

The 1st time it was really my fault, I split the bearing putting it in and somehow reseated it with the seal and thought f-it lets try. Got mostly to work and it started grinding real real bad. I pulled my spindle assembly off in my concrete testing lab back than and welded a piece of rebar to the bearing race and pulled the thing out with an mts tension testing machine. Had a student drive me to autozone to pick up a new bearing and pressed the thing back in with the same machine, I just put platens in the gripper chucks and gingerly used the 100 ton machine to push the new one home.

Haha using a material tension testing machine to press in a wheel bearing is extreme overkill. I had a professor who ran a wind tunnel at my school who needed an array of lights to image some flow, and since he had the budget, he just bought a big LED TV.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    Haha using a material tension testing machine to press in a wheel bearing is extreme overkill. I had a professor who ran a wind tunnel at my school who needed an array of lights to image some flow, and since he had the budget, he just bought a big LED TV.
    Nice.

In my current job a TV is also my whiteboard. Just got a cheap one with a very shiny plastic screen works great as both.

It was so much easier to turn a knob to move the press than pumping a cylinder manually

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I can see that.

The 1st time it was really my fault, I split the bearing putting it in and somehow reseated it with the seal and thought f-it lets try. Got mostly to work and it started grinding real real bad. I pulled my spindle assembly off in my concrete testing lab back than and welded a piece of rebar to the bearing race and pulled the thing out with an mts tension testing machine. Had a student drive me to autozone to pick up a new bearing and pressed the thing back in with the same machine, I just put platens in the gripper chucks and gingerly used the 100 ton machine to push the new one home.
    That's hilarious.

I used to work in (and ran for a while) an aluminum test lab and we had all MTS equipment. 22, 55 and 110 kip load frames with all kinds of different platens and grippers. Fracture toughness and HCF testing on machined samples mainly, but we got into some springs and interesting stuff occasionally. Small world....there's not many people out there with a materials testing background.
    OlllllllO

here is a fun one from last week:

https://imgur.com/X3DNKlY

though i think this takes the cake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZBgLsqOiMo&t=0s

also maybe we make this one the car thread, instead of normal OT?
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-19-2020 at 09:11 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.