Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with z2 240 round shells

What's the deal with z2 240 round shells

The pros are using these shells yet the general public cant get them yet. So Simon please answer this, why can't we buy these shells yet. It makes no sense at all especially from a business sense.

Testing, testing, testing. Everything the public gets goes through a serious field testing process. The pro guys are more likely to break anything than you or I, so they get to field-beat/field-test it first. If they break it, Simon figures out how to improve it so we don't have to deal with broken gear.

I feel your pain, I'm running original shells to keep the 240 capacity with my Prophecy.

We always have people field testing items before the public can get them. The disappointing part of this is how long it is taking to get through the rest of the process so they can be released and out for the rest of the market. It's not under my control at this point.

This is not something that needs a lot of testing same shell bigger size. Same material and this all was proven on the original prophecy that the idea works. Start making them and sell them. It's really that simple at this point since all the real testing went through its riggers on the oh prophecy. It boggles my mind these are not out yet.

Manufaturing a product is not "that simple" as you seem to think. I don't want to go into the details and process of taking a product from design to market. It is especially true when it is a large company like Kee as decisions have to go through more people.

As for the testing, I'd imagine it's had to be a little more extensive than "does the material hold up?". The extra weight of the 240 noses with how everything clicks together now, I could see it pulling the nose right off during play... and just imagine what would happen with one of those awesome back-player 280 round noses from the original shells!

Ok things you should know. I'm 34 and im no kid. I've been playing since 1989. I was the head graphic designer at nps for 3 1/2 years. I actually worked there when Simon was developing the mini. It was an awesome time in the sport. Now I know about all the those those things you are talking about. Design, development, testing, back to design and retesting. Prototype molds and full scale production. I've been there done that. I should mention after nps I worked at Mattel toys doing design work for hot wheels and Tyco rc. I've done product design and toy and product development with them for 4 years. When kee has prototypes that the pros are useing for a full season I know they have the mass production molds ready to go waiting for the go ahead. They only thing bringing this project to a standstill like this is a major problem with the design itself or production. Issues such as manufacturing costs. There must be some issue going on here that is not letting full production to proceed.

Now one thing came to mind during all this. The spire came out. Now please read this carefully. I think I know what may have happened here. They want to develope a shell that holds 240 rounds because it was a huge success with the og prophecy. But not just the same old shell. I think they have redesigned the shell completely to split in half like the spire and rotor. Now I know this is a stretch but this would hold up the process significantly. This would put the z2 on top of the super loader charts for sure, claiming this new king of hoppers.
    Just my thoughts, what do you think?

At this point there is no design change intended and no issues from my end. It's just the number of people and processes and sign off's that it has to go through in order to get released and funded.

The first ones out, and many that are being used by the pro teams, are just cut down standard Prophecy shells (it works decently well, but doesn't align as nicely as the production units and there is a slightly greater risk of a shot in the wrong place making the front come off).

There are probably only 10 genuine prototypes in the wild. You can usually tell them because of the matte black finish.

BTW, what happened to the Mini/Axe front shroud I saw you were working on via PBNation?

I have them made ready for production. However I am self employed and low on funds. I have the molds and 10 prototypes. I don't have time to get them up and running the way I would like because so much of my time is spent with my construction company. If your interested in taking over the project let me know via this forum. I am talking with someone to maybe back me with some money but not sure if he is at all serious. Simon we never met but I was the designer at nps responsible for package design for the 32 degrees line as well as the empire logo and branding. I was working with Johnny P. and had some amazing ideas with fuel paint that never came out. It was the packageing that would have been completely different than anything out there right now. I would love to work with you with some ideas I've had for many years with a few things that empire makes. I love what you do and respect you for everything you've done for this sport. So thank you Sir. Thank you.