Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rapid Prototype machine: Buying one very soon. Input wanted.

Insider
    It's great being able to get a feel for the layout and ergonomics of a gun before taking the time to machine one. It can be a huge time and $$$ saver.
    Exactly: I don't have the time or money to do several runs of machined parts. This will give me that chance. Plus a few other interesting bits - Looking forward to experimenting.

Insider
    The printer is here!

Right now it prints the provided files perfectly. The files I setup are a bit wonky, the Y axis is off by a bit, making the part a small mess. I will have to reset the firmware tonight as the suggested fix. But what it prints right is REALLY nice. The PLA material is very tough, even at 20% fill. Molds and some test parts will be plenty rigid enough to use even at 20% fill, and if need be I can run 100% fill on some bits.

So, more tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    The printer is here!

Right now it prints the provided files perfectly. The files I setup are a bit wonky, the Y axis is off by a bit, making the part a small mess. I will have to reset the firmware tonight as the suggested fix. But what it prints right is REALLY nice. The PLA material is very tough, even at 20% fill. Molds and some test parts will be plenty rigid enough to use even at 20% fill, and if need be I can run 100% fill on some bits.

So, more tonight!
    We need more pictures!!!!

Insider
    Okay...

http://simonized.com/attachment.php?...3&d=1360080640
    http://simonized.com/attachment.php?...2&d=1360080617

The y axis is all over the place on my stl converted files, but it looks to be a firmware issue, and maybe the Yxis gantry. The Gear is off by about 15% on that axis, but it isn;t even consistant. The shark is a company preset file, and prints PERFECT. So it is really just a matter of getting the updates.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pbjosh; 02-05-2013 at 11:13 AM.

It seems strange to me that one file would print perfectly and one wouldn't if the Y axis is off. I don't understand why the error wouldn't be seen in both parts?

looks like some sweet PBE swag to me lol Is it going off axis part way thru the build window or is it off the whole time?

I know when printing things "naked" edges and inverted triangles can cause all kinds of havoc and strangeness....

Insider
    It is only on the Y axis, like the file was sliced up all wrong. I have this problem:

http://support.makerbot.com/entries/...r-offset-issue

So...gotta reboot and check a few things.

On the files sent loaded and pre-packaged from MBot, they are perfect. On the items that I have loaded so far, this is consistant.

Insider
    Update: Software update rocked it. The machine knocked out parts just fine yeterday. I did some parts but the scaffolding was really overdone, and it filled the breech. I am going to have to build my own into the models.

Then on a large print it didn't set on the worktable well, and it smashed last night print of most of the gun. Ha! Oh well, more playing with it to get used to it.

Again, we need pics, of the successes and the failures