Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono for the home shop

Chrono for the home shop

Greetings everyone,

I am in quite the giving spirit so I decided that I want to give myself a chronograph to use while messing with my guns.

I was wondering what you guys use when you tune your guns. I was looking at something like this as the Virtue is far too rich for my blood and doesn't really seem to offer anything all that much more. I was also looking at some of the Shooting Chrony and Competition Electronics stuff but it seems both of those can be sensitive to lighting conditions.

What do you guys use? What do or don't you like about it?

Virtue doesn't offer more?

(From Virtue's site)

Record Multiple Shots for Peak FPS & BPS
    Scrollable FPS & BPS History
    Velocity Consistency +/- and Average FPS
    Game & Break Timers
    Large OLED Multi-Display
    Easy Virtue Trigger Programming
    Tool-less AA Battery Door (4AAs)
    Internal Allen Key holder (2 keys, not included)
    Accessory Rail mount
    Kensington Lock Slot
    Tripod Mount Screw
    Lanyard/Sling Mount
    Heavy Duty Glass Filled Nylon Construction
    RF Upgradeable

All that vs:

(from the site you posted)

3 digit readout
    200 - 399 feet per second (fps) capability
    4 - 30 balls per second (bps) capability
    Requires one 9 V battery not included

You get what you pay for.

Velocity Consistency, Average FPS, and OLED are nice I suppose, but not really worth the extra $100. All other features are meh or ways to drain more money from my wallet(RF upgrade and rail accessories). Not like I need to mount a flashlight or vert grip on the thing. Can't really justify it for intermittent use at home. History feature is as easy as having a decent memory or notebook near-by.

I guess that's my bad for not specifying what would be useful. Thanks for trying to help though!

i use a pro chrono junior or something like that. it is a shoot over chrono. its not fancy, doesn't give BPS, but it can give me decent chrono readings. i don't care that it may not be accurate, as the field's chrono is the end all. you can have the most accurate chrono in the world. if the field says you are shooting hot, they are going to believe their chrono, not NASA's certified letter that your chrono was tested and calibrated at the Jet Propulsion Lab...

save your money, get something you can afford and have fun.

Wayne
    I have the yellow handheld one and that has worked just fine for years now. I use it both for teching guns at home and for private groups out in the desert.

The one you listed works great and it is very durable. We have been using that one for over 5 years and it has been great. Though I do like this link better http://www.bosspaintballproducts.com/field.htm and maybe even a Simonized discount But if you are crunching #s all day every day I think the Virtue would be worth the extra money.

I have a Virtue and it's awesome, when it worked. The trigger broke, and now after a "fix" to the trigger something else is wrong with it. Didn't use it that much, but I was dissapointed with how soon it stopped working. We use a ballistics chrono linked to a laptop and a radarchron for 99% of what we do.

You mean the Heavy Duty Glass Filled Nylon Construction didn't help? Darn.

Ballistic chrono-wise, is it very fickle with the lighting? I think that I can get more use out of the ballistic chrono with guns and all, but I don't want to compormise ease of use with paintball.

The ballistic chrono has it's own light bars and shields. We have it all rigged up on a cart. It hasn't been an issue indoors or out. Works very well.

I love my Virtue Clock. They had some trigger issues with the first batch but those have been fixed. I love mine for fine tuning as it gives you fps avg with +/-, bps, 15 shot string with playback...you can tripod mount it, has on board allen storage, runs off 4 AA's. We put our big red's away and havnt dug them back out since getting the clock....go try one out, you will deff want one after using it...