Thread: New calipers

New calipers

So I don't have any fancy machines to show off, but I'd like recommendations on a new pair of calipers. I want to upgrade from my harbor freight jobbers... Do I need to go all the way to mitutoyos or is there something maybe cheaper without the name that is sufficient? I'm looking to get within a thou for minimum indication.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you are going to pay anywhere near half decent money, get the mitutoyo's. I have 3-4 pairs (different sizes and a set for the office while the others are in the machine shop) and the really are worth the money. You will have, use, and appreciate them for the rest of your life. You can often find a good deal on line or on e-bay.

sometimes it pays to spend a little more for the right or best piece than to cheap out.

Heh, easier to do when you're not broke :P

Thanks for the input Simon.

Insider
    Being broke does change the game a bit: A set that does .001" is actually easy and cheap, and I picked up some cheap but more then adequate Grizzly calipers (Since I lived in Bellingham at the time, where they are located.)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=260020

I have a 4", 6" and digital from Grizzly. The Dial calipers work quite well, and while not as good as my $130 Chicago calipers were within .001" and they were cheap enough I bring my 4" and 6" to the field all the time - the digital work well also. They are simple, but close enough for most things. Most likely a good chunk better then Harbor freight, and can fit your price range.

I've had good luck with the el-cheapo calipers, but they have their drawbacks. Maintaining a zero point over a few motions is not a strong point of theirs nor is their long term reliability. Compared to much nicer calipers I have access to I get the same measurement pretty much every time - provided I zero them every time I move the jaws. I've also had 2 pairs just plain stop working after a couple of years. I actually have two of these calipers, and they are the nicest of the cheap imports that I've found. Smoothest action and most repeatable as far as keeping a zero is concerned.

That said, when we move and I have a shop with more space I plan on getting at least one nice pair when I have a dedicated storage spot for them. Shop right now is ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag, and I know I would destroy them.

Insider
    Yeah - some 'short term' cheap option work for a while, then he can get something decent in the future?

Insider
    I have a tendency to drop the damn things so I have a hard time spending top dollar for the better sets. Unfortunately the cheap Enco calipers went from "cheap but usable" to "cheap and UNusable", so I went to the Fowler brand. These are a little better than the lowest end Enco model and are on sale often...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Good discussion, but since my HF set still works well enough for now I'll probably just start saving my pennies. Thanks guys!

I hate digital calipers