Thread: Some CAD work I have been working on

Some CAD work I have been working on

Hey guys

Ive been busying myself at school learning NX 7.0 and have made a video showing off a few projects I have recently completed and thought you guys would enjoy it and could possibly give me some feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwykOxmJiMI

CAD stuff starts a few minutes in, thanks for watching and I look forward to your feedback

I hear a lot of great stuff about NX. Both it's CAD and CAM capabilities.

I havent used much of the CAM part but a good friend of mine who works for an aerospace company has and he also uses it to make inspection programs to run a big gantry CMM machine

I have a friend in Michigan who uses it at an aerospace company too. Machining wing forms I believe.

Apparently its popular in defense so my buddy claims, we are up in Manitoba and I think he works for Cormer aerospace and they have some defence contracts. Thats all anyones aloud to know though

Wayne
    Everybody uses everything. I have a friend who used Solidworks, I use Pro/e, a former teacher of mine used Catia, a friend of my parents said where she works is NX... In my mind it might simply be what is available and appealing at the time the decision is made to go to solid models instead of model space/paper space.

Insider
    It can also depend on how good the local salesmen are, and how well they sell a system to yoru client.

We got saddled with some really bad software for refinery design. It was just...

Because the saleman said quite a bit about it, and really played up the benefits, it was bought by quite a few companies. In most places I worked it was a $1-$2M upgrade to setup with the new system. I ended up getting good at it, and since the salesmen sold more products then there was experience, it was a nice bump in pay to skip around to a few of these jobs.

But it sucks. SUCKS.

Salesmen. (shakes head)

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    It can also depend on how good the local salesmen are, and how well they sell a system to yoru client.

We got saddled with some really bad software for refinery design. It was just...

Because the saleman said quite a bit about it, and really played up the benefits, it was bought by quite a few companies. In most places I worked it was a $1-$2M upgrade to setup with the new system. I ended up getting good at it, and since the salesmen sold more products then there was experience, it was a nice bump in pay to skip around to a few of these jobs.

But it sucks. SUCKS.

Salesmen. (shakes head)
    We are finally winding down use of a version of Cadra that has a copyright of 1988. That salesman should have been thrown a party and retired rich right then. The software is fine, but when I started here there were 3 people who knew how to use it. Locally, the company I work for employs over 12,000 people, half of that is engineering. So yeah, 3 out of 6k is not a good thing. I learned how to change text, print/get pdf's, and export to AutoCAD. The last thing being what is done to all of those files now. Compared to every CAD system I have ever used, it is the most backwards thought process I've ever seen. Gets work done, but was quite a chore to figure things out.