Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fundamental issues in paintball that if we hit the reset button today, we'd fix

Quote Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
    What shape of projectile could you load into pods/hoppers as quickly and easily as a sphere while taking up as little room and requiring no particular orientation in the pod/hopper/barrel?

Edit: Coming from tournament player perspective here. I can come off the field, open a bag of paint and load 500 balls into pods and get them in my pack in well under a minute, leaving me over a minute to clean up, air up, and get back on the field for the next point.
    so you care more about your convenience in the staging area, then actually hitting what you are aiming at on the field?

i mean sure, here is an example of how equally stupid that comment is. say i want to race cars. i could, go buy a stock car, and go race it. i will lose every single race that allows modified cars. but you know what, modified cars are annoying, temperamental and unreliable. they require intelligence to modify, experience to setup, and still are tricky to use in anything but ideal conditions. but what do i care? my stock car is really convenient in the pits, on track its garbage, but who cares about what happens on track right? what happens on track doesn't determine the winner or looser or anything ....

thats just more then a little short sighted.

you guys are failing to see the point the of this thread. you are the nerds in the maze, the point of this thread is to talk about what the maze is, and previous decisions made by the players, have created the maze. we created MOST of the problems in paintball by being dumb when we started shooting at each other. we are so far down this path, you can't even see where we went wrong.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-04-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Dodecahedrons.....I really think we have done a lot to advance the sport but there are deff things that we could work on....the hydrotec stuff for instance shows a lot of potential but I think it needs picked up by a main manufacturer to take off.

Actually its not that short sighted, Yes in the highly developed and highly technical minds of members of this forum it might be but as a whole our sport is filled with morons and inexperienced players, you want to help our sport grow and be more main stream don't require people to have an advanced physics degree to load paintballs into their hoppers and an engineering degree to maintain their equipment. The racing world is a really bad example of this as well. They have entire divisions, classes and events solely for un-modified cars.
    'True' stock car racing, which consists of only street vehicles that can be bought by general public, is sometimes now called Street Stock, Pure Stock, Showroom Stock, or U-Car racing. In 1972, SCCA started its first showroom stock racing series, with a price ceiling on the cars of $3,000. Some modern showroom stock racing allows safety modifications done on showroom stock cars. *wiki entry

Quote Originally Posted by pote View Post
    Dodecahedrons.....I really think we have done a lot to advance the sport but there are deff things that we could work on....the hydrotec stuff for instance shows a lot of potential but I think it needs picked up by a main manufacturer to take off.

Actually its not that short sighted, Yes in the highly developed and highly technical minds of members of this forum it might be but as a whole our sport is filled with morons and inexperienced players, you want to help our sport grow and be more main stream don't require people to have an advanced physics degree to load paintballs into their hoppers and an engineering degree to maintain their equipment. The racing world is a really bad example of this as well. They have entire divisions, classes and events solely for un-modified cars.
    well since "stock" in SCCA terms is nothing like actual stock (yes, even the showroom stock classes are not even close to stock cars), that just shows you don't know anything about racing. the point being of course that focusing on spending an extra 5 minutes off the field to enhance your on field effectiveness by 2-10x ... is short sighted. sorry, it just is.

do solders need a masters degree in physics to load and operate there weapons?

get your heads out of the maze. think about what the maze is, and why it exists.

Don't know anything about racing huh....you severely under estimate my background....

Also I'm pretty sure soldiers have 20X more weapons training than the average paintballer has working knowledge of their equipment

Don't know anything about racing huh....you severely under estimate my background....
    if you think you can take a stock car, and run in a class that allows any modification what so ever, and win, then it doesn't matter your background.

not to mention, the entire point of "stock" class racing is to prevent teams with spare time and money from dominating ... USING THE EXACT STRATEGIES I AM SUGGESTING ... you don't really have a point. another example of this is the new limited testing rules in formula one, to prevent teams from dominating because they spend "free" time making themselves better on track. like you should, if you really want to win at anything.

again, if the 5 minutes in the staging area longer is really more important to you then being more effective on the field, being effective on the field is not really your goal at all then. its short sighted, and dumb.

Also I'm pretty sure soldiers have 20X more weapons training than the average paintballer has working knowledge of their equipment
    thats a problem we created as well.

ITT: Cockerpunk is right about everything and nobody else here knows what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    you are missing my point.
    What is your point? That you hate 300fps at 15 bps? The 300 fps limit is hard for safety reasons... you can't change that. 15 bps has been evolving since day 1 of the sport. You could easily argue that everything in paintball is a direct consequence of those two basic principles, and I don't see a reason to try and change them.

As much as I'm for innovation, at some point you have to say that's the way the game is played. It's a fool's errand to try and change the game into something the players don't want.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 01-04-2013 at 03:33 PM.

hey Gordon, you need to state or make clear what your point is, before crying that people aren't getting it.

you want people to shoot less and be more accurate? that's a pipe dream in paintball. it all matters on the financial side from the manufacturers.

round is a bad shape for a projectile but yet its the easiest to load without problems. if you care to look at the early gatling gun hoppers, they had a tendency to jam, till you have improved on the idea, up to the electric motors to drive not only the gun barrels but the feed mechanism.

also, you are coming from the standpoint that people want to shoot more accurate or less paint. nope, i like to shoot. i like to go to the chrono/target range and dump a pod of old paint or paint i don't want to take home with me using those god modes. some people like to do this on the field. if you look at the simple fact that the Angel, which is a paradigm shift in paintball was developed only because Jack Rice wanted to get a gun that can fire as fast as possible for the average player as can the best tourney player. then the SP/Ion shift of not only having a gun that is a tournament style gun that can fire as fast as a tourney gun, but also is a 1/10th the cost of the most expensive guns.

so you take that into consideration and that when fields, organizers and manufacturers on how they make their money, its all about the paint sales. pure and simple. a store can only sell someone a gun, or that person can only use A gun. but, that gun can fire a lot of paint. paint where that store makes money. a friend who had a store himself and talked to Tom Cole of Bad Company, said that Tom would sell guns at cost, but the paint and the accessories were where he made his money.

so if don't like 300fps, then don't shoot at it. if you don't like 15bps, shoot a pump or a semi. you want more accurate shots, shoot FS paintballs. you crying about, and beating a drum that no one wants to hear, i don't know what to tell you. start your own field, start your own movement. just don't berate people for liking something you don't.

Insider
    As out of the box I would go, keeping paintballs round would be one I would keep.

There are options if you don't like it, but I don't see a superior alternative. Well, smaller paint, I see some advantages in that.

Just for range or accuracy, the FS rounds. Beyond that there are severe disadvantages as I see it, in the basic usability needed for average players, who wouldn't be able to use the advantages the FS rounds (or any similar type of round) produce.