Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting off Car discussions for the Motorheads... my 06 VW GTI.

Insider
    More powerful yes. Reliable, ehh the Mk3's are good. You just need to do fairy routine timing chain replacement. Like every 100-120K miles. Other than that they really don't have many consistent issues mechanically. Window regulator's on the damn things are retarded though lol. Mk4's aren't much different. A turbo'd one of either will make 400 no problem granted you have a decent turbo like a GT35 or something around that size. Forged bottom end and head work with 18+ Psi on good compression and tad bit bigger cams you should be able to make 600 without a lot of work. The Vr6 is held back by it's head, with a turbo or Super charger even at low boost it makes way better power. They just can't breathe stock. You lighten them up and open up you intake and exhaust all the way (port it yourself or get aftermarket manifolds, big valves, etc.) a Naturally aspirated can pull mid 13's on street tires. Turbo'd ones slicks I'm almost positive hit well into the 11's if not high 10's. The AWD R32's when turbo's can hold their own with any car from their time besides an Enzo lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Pro View Post
    More powerful yes. Reliable, ehh the Mk3's are good. You just need to do fairy routine timing chain replacement. Like every 100-120K miles. Other than that they really don't have many consistent issues mechanically. Window regulator's on the damn things are retarded though lol. Mk4's aren't much different. A turbo'd one of either will make 400 no problem granted you have a decent turbo like a GT35 or something around that size. Forged bottom end and head work with 18+ Psi on good compression and tad bit bigger cams you should be able to make 600 without a lot of work. The Vr6 is held back by it's head, with a turbo or Super charger even at low boost it makes way better power. They just can't breathe stock. You lighten them up and open up you intake and exhaust all the way (port it yourself or get aftermarket manifolds, big valves, etc.) a Naturally aspirated can pull mid 13's on street tires. Turbo'd ones slicks I'm almost positive hit well into the 11's if not high 10's. The AWD R32's when turbo's can hold their own with any car from their time besides an Enzo lol.
    i am aware of the potential there, but one thing i have learned in cars, is always beware of what you start with when embarking on a project.

Insider
    http://www.drivecult.com/blogs/culti...r-dads-old-bmw

Article on my car, written by our very own Jack Wood

I... I had no idea. That vehicle is terrifying.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    http://www.drivecult.com/blogs/culti...r-dads-old-bmw

Article on my car, written by our very own Jack Wood
    And that's quite a bit out of date now, isn't it Ryan?!?

Insider
    There were a few guys in Tampa that did turbo vr builds in MK2&3 bodies when I was active in the clubs down there. When you're dealing with a car that light... It doesn't really matter if you start off with a 12v or 24v mill. Lol!

I dream if getting into a Porsche every day... I did a few laps at Sebring in a buddies modded Cayman S a few years back, amazing feeling!

Im more into american cars. But thats what I grew up working on.

These two are registered right now.
    88 Iroc Convertible

2005 Monte Carlo Supercharged SS, My daily driver

Also have a 1969 Mustang Mach1 Im restoring, A 1989 Thunderbird Supercoupe & a 1987 Mercury Cougar 20th Anniversary
    Attached Images Attached Images

only american car i want:

Insider
    Lol short sleeves in 19*? While driving with the top down. You must be from far north lol.