Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Revvy, what's the shell made of?

Wayne

Old Revvy, what's the shell made of?

So with how highly these are regarded, what is the material? I have an older clear one and a few not-so-new ones. The clear one is definitely softer. I'd like to know the exact material, so I can compare durometers and other properties.

Wayne
    Does anyone come down this far in the list to see new threads?

New question; Is there a way I can test or investigate what type of plastic the shells are made of?

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    Does anyone come down this far in the list to see new threads?

New question; Is there a way I can test or investigate what type of plastic the shells are made of?
    I was hopeful that maybe there'd be a recycling symbol somewhere. Sorry, I don't know the exact material type, but from appearance I always assumed some kind of ABS or FRP. Fairly sure it's not PET, as that's the one plastic I'm most familiar with, and it doesn't look like milk cartons or soda bottles.

Wayne
    I can't remember seeing a recycling symbol, but I never really looked closely for one. I don't know that it would be FRP, as the clear shells I have show no signs of fibers.

I don't drink soda, but all of the milk containers for my kids are HDPE. We might have a soda/lemonade bottle in the fridge that I can check out.

If I had access to a lab, I'd try to get a really accurate volume and weight measurement and try to narrow down options by density.

For some reason I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the black ones. For the clear, my best guess would be Polycarbonate.

The clear ones I'm fairly sure are polycarbonate...but those are the newer style ones aren't they? I can't remember every seeing clear revvys made out of the old style materiel.

I've got one of each, I can snap some pictures if you guys want.

Wayne
    My clear one feels too soft to be polycarbonate. The neck on one half has cracked about 1/2 way around and I was able to flex it back and glue it. It stayed like that for quite a while and many uses and is now showing signs of the glue letting go. The lid is polycarb for sure, much more rigid feeling and not so 'muted' when you tap on it.

I've always wondered this. What material allows the old shells to be so awesome?

Wayne
    I finally found mine and took it apart. I don't see any information on either side of the shell. The only text is 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT' on the respective shell. The battery door says 'JF-2' on it, but I have a feeling that is a part number.

Reading this, it seems that I don't have the oldest shells (I have an X-board, but only 2 legs on the prop, so confused), but instead probably have the polycarb shells. http://warpig.com/paintball/technica...rd/index.shtml
    Last edited by desertT1; 03-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.

the X board, if you didn't buy it new, is more than likely a 9 volt, that someone just board the x-board and did a retro fit.