Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: karnivor cocking issues

Insider
    Yep - find a far better (stiffer/longer) valve spring - too short and too light causes some interesting problems.

Now: Sweet spot it, which will help the operation (I figure you were set higher then your speet spot, even more so now.)

The big advantage to the sweet spot is the operation is in good balance with air flow and pressure. It reduces hammer tension (which is part of the problem) and increases efficiency.

A standard poppet valve will have about .1ci of area on it. So that means you have 10 lbs for every 100psi you have in the gun, so normal operation at 300psi means 30lbs. Light valve spring vs heavy is normally only a couple lbs difference. The heavy one will increase efficiency, and actually reduce the operation pressure when tuning the sweetspot.

The AKA guns ended up with very heavy valve springs (for the time) because they realized it, but far to many companies put light valve springs in, basically making the front of the gun a dump chamber so they could also run 'low pressure', not realizing the dynamics of that operation. I talked to quite a few companies when I was helping the Racegun crew out, and many were clueless. Utterly clueless.

Put a heavier valve spring in, sweet spot the reg, and go play. And get rid of the tickler. Bad reg for any heavy use due to low volume.

And hey, your gun is running now! Way to go!

I missed out on an SCM3 for cheap

but yea, I need to sweetspot her badly.

I'm thinking it's going to end up with an MQ in it at some point, so I don't really want to dump too much effort into valves.

I need a name for her too.

Insider
    With a well sprung stock valve I was able to tune people up to 1800+ shots on a tank fairly easy. The sweetspot and a heavy valve spring was all I did to stock components.

Have a pic? We can start a naming poll.

the Flithy Whore

click me

MQ Noid is there just to show color... it's supposed to be pink (it's more like every piece is a different shade lol... trigger is basically still red)

haha yes Simon, it is... Though it's not hot pink which I would prefer.

Then again, I don't know if it's tourney legal...

Pink is no longer a protected colour so you are fine for tournaments.