Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O-Rings

Insider
    So are you guys saying there is no written rule of thumb in respect to o-rings and paintball parts?

Insider
    Agreed. In particular the notes on ring extrusion as is pertaining a to rod to bore clearance is important. But using 15% crush is a good way to throw money down the drain.

Insider
    I'm looking for static seal application data right now.

The static seal portion of the parker book can be used pretty directly for static seals. Just the dynamic portion needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Insider
    The static seal portion of the parker book can be used pretty directly for static seals. Just the dynamic portion needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
    This.

The seal setup they refer to is basically for a valve or piston. Something with a few hundred lbs of force or more on it. So a tight seal is really important, stiction isn't an issue, and long term sealing for enviromental purposes are all considerations.

Our application needs to seal lightly, have low stiction and low friction and a little bit of a leak is generally o-kay, we lube to compensate.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Our application needs to seal lightly, have low stiction and low friction and a little bit of a leak is generally o-kay, we lube to compensate.
    can i quote you on this and take it waaaaaay out of context? :-D

Insider
    It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood."
    - Karl Popper

Insider
    I've been looking at the static seal charts and understand everything but column “G” groove width. The charts refer to "Mean O.D. of O-ring" but that's a term I’m unfamiliar with. I've searched but can’t find any explanations.

What I'm doing is squeezing an o ring between two parts; each side will have a machined cavity with an o ring and an air passage through the center. How do I calculate the cavity diameter based on the o rings I'm using?

Insider
    Never mind, figured it out, cant edit the thread...