Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Animations: Torque

Insider
    you don't want me to post it there
    Post away!

So does this mean that with the mech if you held the trigger down you dould dump the whole tank? I thought you had a metered shot so that dwell is irrelvent, because dwell has been discussed quite a bit.
    The air is turned off at the solenoid/switch.

The spring then, when cycled, traps the residual air in the total system. The gif shows yellow-red, but it would be more like red to yellow in the whole system as it cycles.

So, it goes from 150psi down to 40psi or so, across the whole system. Then on close it vents the air behind the piston, but just that area, and the piston returns.

FYI - no issues with any of his animations... just looked at them all.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Post away!

The air is turned off at the solenoid/switch.

The spring then, when cycled, traps the residual air in the total system. The gif shows yellow-red, but it would be more like red to yellow in the whole system as it cycles.

So, it goes from 150psi down to 40psi or so, across the whole system. Then on close it vents the air behind the piston, but just that area, and the piston returns.
    This is what initially had me confused - I thought there was a difference in air pressure from the red to yellow portions. Now that I've watched the animation a few dozen times and read all the posts, I believe I understand that the same air that's moving the spool is in equilibrium with air in the front chamber and leaving out the barrel. As the spool opens and closes, not all of the air in the front chamber leaves and theoretically air particles travelling down the length of the spool could be moving immediately from the bolt to out of the barrel. The bolt then closes before all of the pressure in the front chamber is lost, but there isn't really a graphical way shown so far to indicate the trapped air is still in the front chamber after firing.

Is this right?

Insider
    Is this right?
    You have it!

I think the animation should have had the spring resetting the piston/bolt etc before the solenoid moved, just to show that they are independent... or at least that's how I understand it.

Insider
    I think the animation should have had the spring resetting the piston/bolt etc before the solenoid moved, just to show that they are independent... or at least that's how I understand it.
    That would be better, I will pass it on!

glad to hear I understand everything!

yea it would involve slowing the animation down, but I think it would make for an overall better one.

Insider
    glad to hear I understand everything!
    So, now that you do...thoughts?

It doesn't seem to be a very adjustable system - which is both a good and a bad thing.

Good: You set it up and let it be, and people can't mess it up. Allows for easy mech/electro conversions - could even be as simple as a frame swap (if that)

Good: It's stupid simple - Not saying anything bad at all about it. KISS is a good policy to follow.

Good: It seems to be fairly modular, which is good for the modding community...

Bad: It's more or less impossible to tune to a users liking. Unless a harder spring + Higher pressure... maybe.

Bad: Very tortured airpath, but then again... there doesn't really seem to be a less torturous way to use the existing air (which is a by-product of your original design goal. [this is just with a quick thought...])

That's all that comes to my head right now.

Insider
    For the two Bads:

You can change out the spring, run at a different pressure curve by devolumizing, and an upgrade drivetrain with possible better dynamics will be a fairly easy option. But for the most part, this isn't suppose to be a tinkers guns. This is a run it every day gun. Kinda like a Tippmann or similar. A gun that everybody knows will just go. As a first product, that HAS to be a priority. I have some in the future that will be more like that. This one is more like a really smooth Tippmann. If you have problems, put in some lube.

Well, I say tortured - but it is the same as any stacked tube poppet. Even smoother then some, though not the best. The stacked tube arrangement is hard to get perfect. I think we have the platform to work on that though.

On the good - it will be simpler then a frame swap.

I think it fits under the acceptable range...